Veganism helped me out

Options
I went fully vegan at the beginning of this year. Prior to that, I was vegetarian for ten years.

When I first went vegan, the internet told me my constant stomach pains were normal and the vegan flu was a thing. Long story short, nah, I’m allergic to soy. I wouldn’t have learned that without going vegan.

Friends and family tried to convince me I couldn’t be vegan and not eat soy. It sucks because I loved edemame, but I’m still going.

Today I learned that there is soy in some SKINCARE products. What, why, wtf? Is this why I have “sensitive skin” and break out with some of my expensive, “gentle” stuff? Is there soy in shampoos too that I should know about?

Anyway, I still need to go through my products that I hated using and see if there’s a link. If you’ve got any soy free protein suggestions too, I’m all ears :)

Thanks for listening to me rant.

Replies

• cardiaclearner
    cardiaclearner Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Have you try lentils or beans?
  • bethreillystark
    bethreillystark Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, that's rubbish about your allergies. My wife and I are vegan and she has allergies to a LOT of food, including some legumes, various types of flour amongst other things. Have you ever considered making seitan? I use a super easy recipe that doesn't include any kneading (that's the part that put me off making it) and I don't think there is any soy in it?

Beth
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    @bethreillystark I would totally take a peak at that recipe. I am a vegan on a budget and sometimes these meat alternatives get pricy or take forever.