From Keto to plant based-help?!

Options
I've been eating plant based for 2.5 weeks now and I LOVE it. I don't miss meat or dairy AT ALL. I don't feel deprived. I have more energy. BUT I cannot seem to change my brain from that keto mindset of carbs are bad...and I have only been able to lose 1lbs as well so that's certainly not helping. I'll take any advise you have. I understand calories vs calories out. I exercise and count calories.

Replies

• elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Carbs are fuel, delicious fuel! Maybe start out gently with "good" carbohydrates (but remember, no food is BAD, there are just foods you should eat more sparingly). Almost all foods do have some carbohydrate in. Have you watched Gamechangers the Netflix movie on veganism? It discusses carbs. Also if you're on social media follow some vegan fitness accounts who you'll see incorporate carbs into their diet so can help you get used to seeing fit healthy carb eaters ;)

1lb in 2.5 weeks is good! Congratulations! Weight loss is a marathon not a sprint, focus on making food and health changes for life not just for a quick fix.

• ntfrenk
    ntfrenk Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I found Dr. McDougall's "Starchivore" book helpful: https://www.amazon.com/Starch-Solution-Regain-Health-Weight/dp/1623360277
  • deeshiloh
    deeshiloh Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    About the weight loss stall, just be aware that as you up your intake of carbs from a keto-level, your body is going to hold more water, because you won't be running off depleted glycogen stores any more. So it's totally normal for weight loss to seem to stall in the first few weeks of switching from low-carb to high-carb. You may still be losing fat, it's just masked because your body's water-content is rebalancing :smile:

If you watch youtube, I recommend checking out mic the vegan (who is working towards or has a master's in public health) or pick up limes (who's a registered dietitian). Mic the Vegan tends to dive deep into the research and citing sources, whereas pick up limes has more esoteric lifestyle advice and food ideas etc.
  • vbriz25
    vbriz25 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The keyword is "calories deficit".... And watch your macros. Plant-based carbs are packing with lots of nutrients, just check your calorie intake. I switch from no vegan to a vegan diet and my weight dropped 7Kg in two months, then slowly rise again 5 kg. Change diet requires a lot of self-learning process, and get the information from reliable sources it's the big challenge. Now I am taking control of my calories controlling also my macronutrients... It's hard, but it worth it.