Starting T and Counseling.

Options
I'm just under a month out from my first appointment to talk to my doctor about seeing a mental health person for my dysphoria, anxiety, and depression. I'm both super excited and stressed because I'm working through the veteran's (USA) healthcare system and they're not known for liberal viewpoints BUT they do recognize trans veterans and provide hormone therapy so long as you have a diagnosis of Gender dysphoria. I'm really hoping that this appointment is a formality and after I lay everything out for them that they recognize me and don't just push it off as not serious enough to require treatment for the anxiety and depression. I don't know what I'd need for the dysphoria, I came out to my family, friends, and work. I have switched to a masculine name (not legally yet), wardrobe, and grooming. I'm doing everything that can be done prior to starting T and getting Top Surgery to live as a guy.* I can't change my birth cert without a doctor's note and I'll feel more secure about the legal name change going through when I have the updated birth certificate.

Is there anything else I can do, need to do, in order to get a GD diagnosis?? Were their criteria for your diagnosis? If the Veteran's Affairs system recognizes me as being trans and gives me the diagnosis my T is covered and so is my counseling. If they don't recognize me then I have to pay out of pocket for my counseling and T and I just can't afford that. I mean I might be able to swing the T but not the counseling and I feel like both are super important to my journey.

So if you have any thoughts, suggestions, or kind words I'd love to hear them.

*I don't think you need to be on T or have had any surgery to be a man, but I'm dealing with a fairly conservative govt. organization and the more I can demonstrate who I really am the better my chances are.

Replies

• Foster8818
    Foster8818 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I don’t know about veteran health care but I do have Tricare since I am an army brat, and from my experience and my parents the army helping those that are trans are usually more helpful if you are active duty or veteran. Sadly since I’m neither they weren’t to keen on helping out to pay for my top surgery but with you I’m sure they well be. As for requirements on getting your diagnostic, I can assure you that from my experience the doctors are understanding that every story is different and are just making sure this is something your wanting and ready for. With my doctor it was mostly explaining my story of when I felt something was off about myself in terms of gender and then how that related to viewing myself and then what I did to gain a bit more confidence. So really all you need is to account as much as you can and surely the doctor can do the rest.

I’m not sure if this what you wanted to hear but I hope this was helpful for you and you get through all these hurtles you’ll face.
  • 230137isntmyweight
    230137isntmyweight Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    This is exactly what I wanted to hear, that they listened and didn't just dismiss you.