Proper settings for carb protein & fat

Options
CrazyCat1975
CrazyCat1975 Posts: 3 Member
Ok as a vegan or even vegetarian 🌱 what do you see as the realistic percentages for your carbs , protein, and fats ? I had a different account but screwed it up playing with the settings so I started this one . But I had a very hard time reaching the preset goals no matter how hard I tried . I really don’t want to Be relying on proteins shakes ect .
Thanks in advance

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Vegans (just like non-vegans) can thrive on a pretty wide range of macros. We just have to make sure we're getting sufficient fat and protein. I personally feel best when I get about 60% of my calories from carbohydrates, 20-25% from fat, and 15-20% from protein. I rarely have protein shakes.
  • methodman78
    methodman78 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    my split is below, keeping protein at the lowest end (achievable) and reduced calories (2000) until i can get to the gym again and then will up the protein and calories

Calories 2000
    Carbohydrates 250 g 50 %
    Fat 67 g 30 %
    Protein 100 g 20 %

most people overdo it on the protein, i'm 6ft 2" and weigh 184lbs, so need approx 0.8g per lb, which is what is on the game changers website protein calculator (the above was based on a lighter weight but put on a lot recently)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    ntfrenk wrote: »
    Personally, I eat a whole food plant based diet and don't ever worry about percentages, especially not protein. From what I understand, our bodies make all the proteins they need from amino acids anyway. As long as you're eating a variety of fresh vegetables, fruits, and whole grains, you should be okay.

Your body will make complete proteins from the amino acids in your diet, assuming you're getting enough of each essential amino acid. In some circumstances, certain amino acids can be limited in *some* vegan diets -- lysine is one that is sometimes a concern.
  • vbriz25
    vbriz25 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    50% carbs
    30% fat
    20% protein

It may variate but I try to stick myself to those parameters.
  • vbriz25
    Options
    ntfrenk wrote: »
    Personally, I eat a whole food plant-based diet and don't ever worry about percentages, especially not protein. From what I understand, our bodies make all the proteins they need from amino acids anyway. As long as you're eating a variety of fresh vegetables, fruits, and whole grains, you should be okay.

That is why many people give up due to this kind of misinformation... Lack of energy, high blood sugar, diabetes, lack of B vitamins, obesity, etc are the most common issues to the people that don't care about proper nutrition in plant-based diets.
  • vbriz25
    Options
    Ok as a vegan or even vegetarian 🌱 what do you see as the realistic percentages for your carbs , protein, and fats ? I had a different account but screwed it up playing with the settings so I started this one . But I had a very hard time reaching the preset goals no matter how hard I tried . I really don’t want to Be relying on proteins shakes ect .
    Thanks in advance

What are your macros goals right now? Why are you getting hard times?
  • catblaq
    catblaq Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Vegans (just like non-vegans) can thrive on a pretty wide range of macros. We just have to make sure we're getting sufficient fat and protein. I personally feel best when I get about 60% of my calories from carbohydrates, 20-25% from fat, and 15-20% from protein. I rarely have protein shakes.

Ive been tweaking the ratios too and have found the FOK ratio of 80/20/20 hard to attain. The fat is always highest, its amazing the amount of fat in food.
  • tvm1970
    tvm1970 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Percentage splits don't make sense to me. You can get two people who weigh the same and train similarly but due to varying reasons their maintenance calorie intake may vary. I maintain on 350 calories less than one of my training buddies but realistically our protein goal would be pretty much the same if based on the 0.8 - 1g per pound calculation.

I weigh approximately 115lbs and aim for 95g protein (0.9g per lb). My carbohydrates and fat do vary depending on training but protein I keep stable regardless of calories.