Intros

Options
Hello my name is Jorge (George). I am a newly diagnosed diabetic, got diagnosed some time early this year. I am here for the same reason which is to work on becoming healthier and to work with others to get better. I hope to grow a network of healthy friends. Add me and lets do this together!

Replies

• laura14fit
    laura14fit Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi Jorge, how are you? Hope you are well. I've been a diabetic for 20+ years now. It's a journey where you never stop learning about yourself and how you and your diabetes get along. I am back to reviewing my diabetic guidelines by way of a refresher. I am well and my doctor is happy with me but I can certainly get a little complacent.
  • seashells1957
    seashells1957 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, I’m Val. Previously diagnosed type 2 diabetic. Was on insulin, then off (yay!), now back on ... well, whatever it takes to manage this disease. I was off it for almost three years. Those chocolate bars (etc) are not the best choice. I had foot surgery last year (a lipoma), but while returning for post-op evals, I saw another patient who’d lost toes. I do not want to end up there. My intake must change.

Thank you for starting the group.
  • Gentyl
    Gentyl Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm Gentyl. I was diagnosed with diabetes type II in 2012 and was able to beat it for a long time with keto. But, I came off keto because I just wanted to try something else. Well, that something else didn't work so well so I am back on keto these last three months. Took me long enough. The first six months can be challenging but I'm hanging with it. The horrible thing is having to lose a lot of the weight all over again. My body just can't tolerate carbs. Most of my family dies pretty horrid deaths from this disease and I just don't want to be one of them. They spend decades of suffering, kidney failure, amputated limbs... all because of food. FOOD! My dad says that without our traditional food it's not 'living' or that that is no life, that you should enjoy your life. Food should not determine joy, but I really do get it, I do. Sharing food brings joy. But carbs bring me nothing but a momentary pleasure and then a whole lot of pain.
  • laura14fit
    Options
    Hi, Gentyl, I really understand what you are saying about food and family. There are ways around it. Make recipes that you like, that work for your food plan. For 'diabetic' recipes, I just drop the word 'diabetic ' from the description for family members. Also many 'regular' recipes come with nutritional breakdown or can be run through a recipe generator like the one in Fitness Pal. Fruit based desserts are usually enjoyed. My family and friends love an old Weight Watchers recipe for strawberry squares which is basically just strawberries in calorie reduced jello with CoolWhio. We just call it 'Strawberry Squares . It's your life and health. A smile and a good recipe can go a long way.
  • laura14fit
    Options
    Hi Val, I sure don't want to lose any toes either! I exercise most days, about half an hour, to keep in the habit and maintain balance and mobility. It's the old 'use it or lose it!'strategy. I do hope your foot is better.
  • seashells1957
    seashells1957 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The foot takes a long time to seal & heal after surgery. Mine became complicated by a hematoma *shudder* but more on topic. A month ago, I spot checked and caught my glucose at 290, which triggered A1C test (9.4) and re-evaluation. I worked on dietary choices two weeks, then started a low dosage of insulin (4 units); am now seeing good numbers in morning. 121-127. This may improve further in the coming month.

Gentyl, I likewise saw impact on family. Big contributor to my mother’s death. She always wanted to feed us and food was synonymous with comfort. My empathy for the challenge this presents.

Hope everyone is doing well.
  • laura14fit
    Options
    Hi! Well, it's another day. Good thing, as I messed up yesterday's food diary logging. So, I am logging it today. My brain which says log your diary and my internal me who says throw it out the window are two opposing forces. The angel on my shoulder says perfection is a journey not a destination. I'll try to listen to her. Be well, everyone, we may be all apart but we're also all together.
  • jorgecarbajal223
    jorgecarbajal223 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I would just like to add that it is really awesome that this group communicates and shares. lets help to keep each other motivated. Laura, the food diary is tough to do everyday but it really helps to know how much we put into our bodies, I like it but its always a challenge. Does anyone know of any apps that are designed for diabetics?
  • nancykadolph
    nancykadolph Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi fellow diabetics! I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about 25 years ago, but I was able to control it through diet and exercise for many years. In 2013, my fasting glucose was consistently high, so I was put on metformin. Unfortunately, in 2014, I had to have a bone marrow transplant and the chemo did some damage to my kidneys, so no more metformin for me; I was put on insulin instead. I was sick for about a year with the transplant and dropped down to 120 pounds. I was encouraged to eat anything that I could keep down. Once I started feeling better, it didn't take long to pack on the pounds and this year I hit the 200 pound mark. That's it -- no more!!! I've been watching what I eat for the past month and my glucose is down under 150 (usually 110-140 now), so I don't have to use any insulin (which is wonderful). My weight this morning was 187.8 so I'm headed in the right direction. I was attracted to this group because of the intro ... chocolate is definitely my weakness!! I've been "clean" from chocolate for 27 days, but I know that won't last forever. :) I'd love a support group to get me over that hurdle when I get to it.
  • laura14fit
    Options
    Hi Nancy, you have been on quite a journey and I admire your resolve very much. It's not easy but you are all in. Every person is different but many of our challenges are the same. Chocolate does spring to mind! As a person who likes sweets very much, I understand the challenge. I can be very susceptible to the 'pantry prowl' especially if I'm tired or bored. So any treats are best if I'm fully aware and accounting for it. My numbers are good but I have to work at it or I can backslide. It's great to talk with others who are also walking this path. I am encouraged by you!
  • laura14fit
    Options
    Hello All, it's a lovely late summer day here in Nova Scotia. I'm thinking of all those who are having not such a lovely day, from the California and Oregon fires to the remembered sadness of 9/11 to the stressors of daily life in trying times. Mental health is so important to how we deal with stress and our health. Take some time for you, a deep breath, a moment to believe in your strength. It may be hidden from you now but it's there. Show compassion to yourself as you would to others. I'm out here believing in you and wishing you better days.
  • haplosis1
    haplosis1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello: I've been diagnosed with Type II diabetes for about three years. Diabetes runs in my family on my mother's side. I am the third generation (as far as I know -- could go further back). My A1C was 11.3 when I was first diagnosed and in three months it was down to 6.3. Over the three years now, my A1C has crept up to 7.3, and I'm getting strict again. I already have a bit of peripheral neuropathy in my feet, and I don't want it to progress. Currently I'm taking metformin and glyburide twice a day. I take alpha lipoic acid (600 mg) to control the neuropathy. I'm 5'4" and weigh 178.6 lbs. I am here to lose weight, and to commune with others who also have this disease and keep my nose to the grindstone. In addition I am taking 50 mg of Zoloft each day which has been a game changer for me. I have energy again, and feel better than I have in years.
  • jorgecarbajal223
    jorgecarbajal223 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group!
  • metubal
    metubal Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Hi. I was diagnosed 2.5 years ago with an A1C of 7.5. With low-carb eating and regular workouts I brought it down to 5.4 in 6 months. I was doing well until Covid. Stress led to weight gain (20 lbs since March) and my fasting sugar levels climbed up to 190-220 in the last 4months! I started metformin 2 months ago but it's not helping. Before I head to my doctor again, I want to restart my low-carb, workout life style and hopefully keep it.
  • laura14fit
    Options
    Hello and welcome to the group! Diabetes sure does challenge a person. I think it's fair to say most of us struggle with balancing A1C levels, weight, fitness. But I bet also that everyone of us have some absolutely champion tips, suggestions and support for us all. My continuing challenge is eating a balanced diet. My secret weapon is the exercise program that I stick to. Looking forward to talking with you.
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Hi - In the UK and was diagnosed three years ago. Pre-COVID I travelled a lot with my job as a sports journalist and so Low-Carb was really only manageable when I was at home and eventually I had to make my peace after burnout that LC was something I could only do when not away, as well as utilising my own treadmill and spin-bike, and that I would have to also balance that with meds.

It resulted in my leaving a FB group where they demanded that I commit to LC only and no meds... and it took a while to come back to any kind of forum.

Back on the UK diabetes forum, and glad to see a group on here. I count my carbs now on MFP... I use a Libre sensor as my meter and I scan FBG, Pre & Post prandial for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner and Bedtime.

GP thinks I might be Type 1.5 but for now we are managing as a Type 2....

Thx for reading.
  • laura_b00
    laura_b00 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi rfsatar and welcome. I must confess that I didn't know enough about T1.5 diabetes and looked it up. I had read about it once in a while, it appears to be kinda rare? I like to eat a variety of foods, but I'm ever mindful of those carbs. This is a nice size group, about the size of a diabetes support group, which we don't have where I live. Again, Welcome!
  • laura14fit
    Options
    Everybody's journey is different. You have to find what works for you. Maybe it's all LC or maybe not. Take out of it what you can and keep looking. I'm an 'everything in moderation' person myself with a firm belief in the benefits of a regular, doable exercise program. There is no magic fix for me just keeping up good habits and trying my best to learn new tips and tricks along the way. I learn everytime I read someone else's experience. Thank you for keeping me honest with myself.
  • petiteallie
    petiteallie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    HEY! I am Allie from Florida. I am 33 years old with a diagnosis in May or July of 2020. I have been prediabetic for years though. I don't think that this diagnosis is going to be a life term for me. It is a diet disease, so I am working to change my diet and reverse my diagnosis. I don't want to be stuck pricking my fingers for the rest of my life. I had gestational diabetes with my son, who turns 10 next month! That really sucked, and I just wasn't in the right mindset to really change my lifestyle at that time. Maybe if I had I wouldn't have Type 2 right now.

Hoping to get to know those in this group and lean on each other for advice and motivation!
  • ben_100
    ben_100 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hello
    Recently was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes...How about you ? Looking to find New friends on MFP so as to form a team, a long running support team, to beat our Type 2 - Naturally

by way of introduction - hello and here's my story.. what is yours ?

Dec 2020 - Merry Christmas the present no one wants..
    Well now it is a real race with the clock - had a stressful period where I also started to eat real trashy sweet things and started cooking and eating - reached a new weight high and without exercise I started turning mushy... then I started to pee a lot and urine strips were showing glucose and protein - got some blood tests and I was off the charts for Blood glucose - Dr immediately diagnosed Type 2 and prescribed meds - I am now on the clock to get the blood glucose down before my next blood panel ( need A1C down) - So I picked up the meds but not taking them - I worry about being reliant on meds, and also damage that the meds may have on my liver and kidneys - so will get one shot at lifestyle changes (Food / Fasting / Breating (Meditation)/Exercise) before the next scheduled blood panel (3 months apart) - and where my Dr, will get the results
    - I changed my diet 100%, and I started to use the home gym I had been establishing - slowly at first as I was a bit concerned as to a heart attack - as I also have some higher blood pressure readings ( hypertension ) - I now have a glucose meter and am testing a lot - the first 2 weeks were not showing good results then things have changed and have been going well since - this crazy plan may just work - well we all have one life to lead and the Dr's are so busy they can not really rely on you to do what you say you will do - however as Type 2 can rob you of years it is life or death - so that is a real incentive - my new extreme sport.. thanks for reading