Laura C

Options
laura14fit
laura14fit Posts: 37 Member
Hello out there! I am a type 2 diabetic who struggles with weight and food choices. Some days are up...and some days a huge challenge. If only everything was as simple as all the diabetic guidelines suggest! Black and white is soooo black and white while Life, well life is a whole rainbow of everyday decisions. How do you manage, what are your tips for gettin' on with our best diabetic lives? I would love to hear from and talk to you.

Replies

• jorgecarbajal223
    jorgecarbajal223 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    How do I manage? Well I am more active for one. I am now doing some type of physical activity. I cook my own meals because others don't really understand. Lastly I am expanding my diabetic network, working with others helps to keep me accountable for my actions. What are you doing?
  • laura14fit
    Options
    I exercise almost every day and try to stay generally active as well eg gardening, etc. It is a good habit that was very hard to make but I'm glad stuck with it. I am lucky in that my husband is the most supportive man. He helps with the cooking and encourages me all the way.
  • rmdodd44
    rmdodd44 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been boarder line Diabetic since I had my first child 19 yrs ago. I've just had my physical and my blood sugars are off the charts. We also confirmed that I have the Covid 19 antibodies. Now I'm back to tracking and my numbers are all over the place. Discouraged. I lost weight during quarantine and now my numbers are worst. Confused.
  • Gentyl
    Gentyl Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    rmdodd44 wrote: »
    I've been boarder line Diabetic since I had my first child 19 yrs ago. I've just had my physical and my blood sugars are off the charts. We also confirmed that I have the Covid 19 antibodies. Now I'm back to tracking and my numbers are all over the place. Discouraged. I lost weight during quarantine and now my numbers are worst. Confused.

In 2012, my numbers were off the charts, A1C was 11.7 and fasting blood sugar was 317. Yeah, bad. I wasn't surprised by this diagnosis as this silent killer cripples and eventually kills 99% of my family. I decided to not follow the tradition and began the very low carb (under 30 grams) ketogenic diet and ever since have not had an A1C above 5.6, but 99% of my A1Cs were under 5.0 with no medicines or insulin whatsoever. That 5.6 was a backsliding time in my life after having been on keto for 2.5 years -- Diabetes effectively in remission.

All of this said, I thought that when I told my family they would all jump on the bandwagon and go keto. I was so surprised to see that was not the case. Too few people accept this road, which the reason the ADA chose to not even mention it. My doctor had never heard of it and was even against it at the time until the medial journals, including JAMA spoke of this hack in a very positive light as an option.

If you find that you are interested in following this road, I make two recommendations:
    1. Dr. Robert K Bernstein's book Diabetes Solution https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Bernsteins-Diabetes-Solution-Achieving/dp/0316182699
    2. Dr. Fung's site -- a Nephrologist who uses the Ketogenic diet to reverse kidney damage and diabetes in his clinic. His site has many videos and he gives many amazing recipes I use daily. https://www.dietdoctor.com/authors/dr-jason-fung-m-d

If you have any questions, please feel free to message me. I may take a day or two to answer a direct message to my inbox, but I will certainly do so as soon as possible. I rarely post here, but I felt to message you. Good luck.
  • laura14fit
    Options
    @rmdodd44
    I am so sorry you are going through such a hard time. When a diabetic is ill, it really can throw blood sugars out of whack. My go to is keeping track of my carbs within my range and testing as much as I need to in order to get back on top of it. I also try to stay with simpler, less processed food to avoid hidden sugars. The American and Canadian diabetes associations both have good advice on how to manage diabetes during illness. Go back to the basics and your body will remember how to do this. You can do it. You are stronger than you know.
  • Travelerraven
    Travelerraven Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    If you find that you are interested in following this road, I make two recommendations:
    1. Dr. Robert K Bernstein's book Diabetes Solution https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Bernsteins-Diabetes-Solution-Achieving/dp/0316182699
    2. Dr. Fung's site -- a Nephrologist who uses the Ketogenic diet to reverse kidney damage and diabetes in his clinic. His site has many videos and he gives many amazing recipes I use daily. https://www.dietdoctor.com/authors/dr-jason-fung-m-d

Both are great reads and videos. The Keto diet does work I would suggests that you keep monitoring your kidney and liver function. Keto teaches your body to burn fat.
  • ben_100
    ben_100 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Downloaded both Dr B and Dr Fung a books... Have them available in pdf