Other small community groups

Options
Hey does anyone know of other small community groups in this app or are in one? I am trying to meet others and grow my/our network so we can stay and keep each other motivated.

Replies

• laura14fit
    laura14fit Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi Jorge, I don't know of any groups specifically but there are lots of groups listed under Community. I saw a few titled Low Carb or similar to that and did think you might be interested in having a look at them. No hatm in looking.
    Re your question on duplicate posts, sorry, I dont have a clue how to remove it yet. I'll check the help topics and get back to you. So mich to learn!
  • jorgecarbajal223
    jorgecarbajal223 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    yeah its really hard to find a small group that seems to stay active. Thats all I am really looking for. I am in another group that has no communication whatsoever... Im just there. But we can all keep a look out and add and grow.
  • laura_b00
    laura_b00 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I everyone, I've been looking for a small diabetes support group--you can get lost in some of those big ones. I was diagnosed at 60 with diabetes type 2. I should haven't ignored the symptoms of the prediabetes, after all, there is no diabetes in our family, lucky me! I look forward to any help you can share.
  • laura14fit
    laura14fit Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi laura_b00, yes, that diagnosis can be a surprise or a wake-up call, as it was for me. I was diagnosed in my early 40's. Best advice, work with your diabetes team, doctor, dietitian and don't despair, life with diabetes is doable. Support groups are great for encouragement and for things like tips on adapting menus or dealing with things like holidays, family and social events. You don't have to give up any of them but one does have to find strategies to manage them. Oh...and keep moving. A moderate but consistent exercise program has been the best gift I ever gave myself. There are many programs out there to fit your ability level and interest. Diabetics need to maintain good heart health, and circulation and to avoid injury. It sounds like a lot but it's really just living well and consciously. You can do it!
  • jorgecarbajal223
    jorgecarbajal223 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    ha! I have you both beat. I was diagnosed earlier this year and I'm in my mid 30's so Ha! But on a serious note it was scary, I questioned how people lived like this and was embarrassed that I got this diagnosis. I wanted to go into hiding. I am being honest when I say that this has been a blessing, I am eating healthy, my family is eating healthier (my kids still eat cereal and treats), I quit drinking, I am more aware of my foods now, and I pick and make food for my family. I believe that being around other diabetics helps us to stay on track and stay motivated to keep on keepin' on.
  • laura_b00
    laura_b00 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    When I got the diagnosis on Valentine's Day, I was crushed! Not only was I embarassed by the word diabetes, I was going to be judged. This was going to be a red flag for my insurance company to contact me with offers of help. They got in touch with me in a week, how's that for fast response time?