August 2020 to Jan 2021 Declutterfest

Options

Replies

• PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    Thanks, @texasgardnr, and nice job on the paper and digital decluttering. Thanks, also, to everyone who responded to me earlier in this thread. I'm sorry I've been struggling to keep up.

As soon as I finish this, I'm going to eat some breakfast and take my meds even though I'm not hungry. I found an old CD player that doesn't work, so that's going in the trunk of my car to take to recycling (hopefully today).
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,787 Member
    Options
    Oh @PKM0515 how sad. I am sorry you lost your kitty. :( No wonder you have been in freefall. Hugsssssszzzz..

I hope you managed to take your meds today. Sometimes I swear just putting one foot in front of the other can be tough eh?

and @texasgardnr you are absolutely correct about how terrified I was of heights and how I just got 'er done. It makes it a huge win for me where as for most people it's nada.

No decluttering going on much this week but things will happen as they do. Sometimes it is nice to have a planner without a bunch of "things" on it. :)

lazysummer
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,972 Member
    Options
    PKM0515 wrote: »
    awww @pkm051 hang in there gal! one day at a time. How is the med taking coming along? :|

Thanks. The med taking is not going well for the last week. I'm supposed to take the diabetes medicine twice a day with food, but my appetite has been strange. If I don't eat breakfast, I seem to forget all my morning meds.

I really need to pull myself together. I've been so down since my 🐈 passed away September 6.

To keep this thread on topic, I decluttered some large pieces of styrofoam (today was junk day). Also, I tried to declutter a lot of old prescription meds, vitamins, etc. (mine, my parents', my cat's); but the police lobby where I used to drop them off is closed. They very kindly referred me to Walgreens, who very nicely told me their kiosk is full right now.

I've also managed to shred some old mail.

@PKM0515 Oooo I love the idea of a Junk Day!!! YAY shredding. I am facing same situation on the out of date meds. I placed them out on front porch to deal with as things open up!

Great progress! Feels so gratifying, no?❤️
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    There is so much activity here on the Declutterfest thread this month!! yay. I'm going back to my last post and starting from there to catch up with everybody.

@MadisonMolly2017 consolidating things (like your colored pencils) is a great strategy.
    We are still hoping that you find that iron. Sooner or later you will come upon it 😲!!

And the same for the lost socks 🧦 👀 for @SummerSkier

@SummerSkier you were amazing with sawing off (aka decluttering) the limbs that were scraping your roof, because you just did it even while terrified of heights! Now that, along with pulling down the 'hanging (dry wall) chads' are decluttering moments to be proud of 😁.
    A new Yankee Candle can definitely cause impressive cleaning/ decluttering moments to make room for it. Good for you!!

@MadisonMolly2017 bins and boxes certainly do come in handy for corralling like things in an area or drawer. Labeling both ends of a box is genius!! I shall have to tuck that one away in my brain.

Well done going on that outing when you hiked 3.5 hrs plus, also with huge climbs! I am so proud of you indeed!!

@nebslp and @MadisonMolly2017 I love to read your posts about creativity and art with all sorts of twists and turns you both go on while pursuing your passion for it. Awesome opportunity you've both had with the opportunity to sample the classes available to you! And I liked how Maddie wrote that she realized that she loved creating AND she loved learning! Great insight to get when trying to decide if or when to take additional classes/ or create something, and to decide that there is definitely a place for both... win-win 👍😄!

Thank you for sharing your creative moments!!

@nebslp and @MadisonMolly2017 {{{hugs}}} for both of you.

I am going through the same thing about the room where my grand children played and made things in when they were not at the dining room table or on the floors playing or making other things. It is also the room where they slept over in and so on. I did go through some of the crafty stuff about a year ago that they had lost interest in because of age, but the other grands were too young for that would go bad (like markers and paints) before they could use them, so I gave them to a neighbor's children. Like you both, we have not had any of them over because of the virus.
    So I have let things migrate in there because of that. Just one more virus related thing to come to terms with. This reminds me that I need to check on the play dough. It has probably hardened also. So many memories 💖 . That room is definitely a project to work on soon, and not let myself stay stuck in the sadness.

The count is up to three.... an iron, socks and also the marbles😲😁🤦‍♀️ .....

@PKM0515 {{{hugs}}} to you about your dear 🐈 passing away last month. That is surely a difficult thing for you to go through. I believe that you will soon figure out ways to help with remembering to take your meds since you are now identifying things that make it more easy to forget them. Knowledge is power!
    Good job on the decluttering that you did today as well as the shredding! You go girl 🤸‍♀️ .

Decluttering since my last post about it:

October 5

Sorting, shredding and decluttering misc paper that migrated to my bedroom

October 6, 7 and 8

Miscellaneous paper. mail, and catalogs decluttered, or shredded, including some from the small pile now referred to as the 'chair pile' . (which are leftovers from the 'table pile' that required decisions, or some work done on them)

October 19

Paper & mail that my DH asked me to sort, shred and declutter for him also.

October 14 and 19

Digital decluttering: mostly email, some photos on camera

🤠🌺

Thank you for the hugs @texasgardnr! So happy to have you in my life. Having my art supplies organized is Definitely Paying Off now! Just one more to do: my watercolors. I spent 30 mins or so a few days ago. Not going to do it daily, as I want to keep focus on creating!! But maybe I’ll add something in November 😃

I am not fortunate to have a grand Child yet, but I’m not sure if they will decide to have children. As a Lover & Teacher of children, this could make me very depressed, but I truly believe each couple needs to decide for themselves. Because of transplant & now COVID, I had to shift gears from being with children to home-based pursuits: thus the art practice. I will be honest, I’m a natural teacher ... art is not nearly the same natural gift, but I am Grateful to Have It! 🙏🏻
    AND even more grateful to have been given a kidney, been able to lose & maintain, exercise, and that I’m healthy.

I know it’s sad clean those rooms...I had that with my classroom & my carefully curated materials...but I find focusing on the fond memories & new interests helps a lot.

Many hugs💞💞💞
    Maddie
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,648 Member
    Options
    @Summer Skier I'm pretty sure I had more than 3-4 marbles at one point in my life (sigh) :/
    PKM0515 wrote: »
    nebslp wrote: »
    @SummerSkier Hey, I found 3 marbles when i was cleaning.
    I've lost my marbles; can you send them to me? (Not sure I'm joking. 😐)

Woohoo! I found a 4th marble that I would be happy to share :D

@PKM0515 I am sorry about the loss of your cat last month. Fur babies are so special and we feel their loss deeply, so my heart goes out to you.

@texasgardnr What a great feeling to automatically check the table and keep it cleared off regularly. You were incessant and got the job done. I saw a truck the other day with the sign Paper Tiger on it but it was moving too fast to get a picture. I thought about you, though! And now you're on to digital. That is something I MUST do ASAP! Keep inspiring me <3

@MadisonMolly2017 You keep finding more things to organize and just keep working on them. One day you'll get up and think "everything is done and all I have to do is create today :) How's the textile arts corner coming along?

I can't believe it's the weekend already. Where do the days go?! :/ Have a good one everybody!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options

@MadisonMolly2017 You keep finding more things to organize and just keep working on them. One day you'll get up and think "everything is done and all I have to do is create today :) How's the textile arts corner coming along?

I can't believe it's the weekend already. Where do the days go?! :/ Have a good one everybody!

Hehe I’ve reached that point a couple of times then moved 1/2 the studio to dining room AND THEN to Living room ...but I’ve *almost* found spots for the rest of the things (except how to art books) from upstairs.

The textile arts corner is *almost* there. Deciding whether to move it all down & be a little less spacious or keep some of back-up supplies Back upstairs to a closet there. Beauty vs Utilitarianism aka “Out of Sight, Out of Mind”

Also have buttons left LOL

Have a wonderful weekend❣️
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    decluttering... and a fourth marble!!! could the iron be far behind? I think part of the joy of decluttering is the hidden treasures we find and also the letting go of some things.

yesterday I accomplished something which needed to be done but is sort of sad and scary at the same time. I actually met with the X at the boat storage to try to figure out what to do. He told me the check was in the mail for his half but that was a lie of course. Anyway, he did bring the battery back and try to start it and air the tires. It is very old but everytime i see it i know how much I miss waterskiing and altho i agreed we could sell it I don't think it will happen unless **I** make it happen which I totally am not sure about. sigh. We bought it together in 1992 and have kept it in storage stince 93 so it's in decent shape. When we split in 2006 I pretty much kept the payments on storage and insur and reg stuff going (wow almost 15 yrs!) and he would pay me half the storage a few times. Tech i probably have already bought out his half and not sure how much it is worth. I used it quite a bit in 2009 -11 but haven't now in years. sadly I am the type who needs a regular partner to help with it.

X is selling his lake house and moving to a 200 acre far north of Ft Worth so if we don't do something then I know he won't do anything anyway. He is the type who calls me once a year and promises to take the boat to his house where he has a slip and then I don't hear anything for another year. And yes he married an heiress after we split up. So it's not like he doesn't have literally millions... photo of boat in storage with x who has a permenantscowl face lol and me skiing in 2009.

m1czil9ilqtm.png

bup8jbexpgbj.png
  • nebslp
    Options
    @SummerSkier the hard thing about good memories is that sometimes they hold us back from moving forward. It sounds like you’re in charge of making the decision about the boat, whether to keep or sell? Some things to ponder....Do you want to keep investing in storage and ins. if you have no immediate plans to use it? There’s nothing to say that in time and change of circumstances you might not just be ready to buy a new boat...make new memories. Or maybe you want to keep it. Find a friend/family who would be excited to go skiing with you? Wishing you all the best with your tough decision.

You look amazing out there! I think I finally figured out your name😆 All this time I pictured you on a snowy slope somewhere up high in the mountains (I am not a water person)! Now I have a realistic image to go with the name😄
  • nebslp
    Options
    I hit the jackpot today when I was sorting the stuff the kids put in the craft stick box... wOOhOO!!
    1z0th0ifmeca.jpeg
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    I hit the jackpot today when I was sorting the stuff the kids put in the craft stick box... wOOhOO!!
    1z0th0ifmeca.jpeg

OMG. you found your marbles!!! Next up the world. 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼 Or maybe an iron. Yeah I have no idea what to do about the boat but buying a new one is out of the question.

So yes you finally did figure out what my moniker means. 😎
  • goingape
    goingape Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Spent a little time on the weekend looking at my craft area. I moved a few things around but what I really need is storage. I might try to look at a store to see what I could get to help. Thinking a book case or a storage cupboard with doors
  • nebslp
    Options
    @goingape Just a thought...get everything out that you have (or just look around) and then decide what might be the best storage space for what you have. Knowing if you have boxes that you can stack, or like me, if you have things you want to keep out of the light like fabric (closed doors), or lots of books and small items that would be easy to locate on exposed shelves, will help you figure out how much shelf space you need and what kind. I also keep fabric and notions in an old dresser that my parents got for their wedding in 1941, and that works great. And I have a couple of file cabinets that I'm using for storing writing tools, paper, and other craft things. I make do with what I have so my upstairs has quite an eclectic look and feel, but it works and didn't cost much, and it's mine. Have fun creating your creating space :)
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    1z0th0ifmeca.jpeg

@nebslp hahjajaaa
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    goingape wrote: »
    Spent a little time on the weekend looking at my craft area. I moved a few things around but what I really need is storage. I might try to look at a store to see what I could get to help. Thinking a book case or a storage cupboard with doors

@goingape
    I’m so excited for you! My art & craft practices bring me such joy & I very rarely eat out of boredom...I’ll paint or sew something or, today, straightened up the art studio after a flurry of activity & before the next flurry! I set my timer for 15 mins & kept repeating it! THEN it actually WAS time to eat!

I think it’s important we have things we enjoy to replace the enjoyment of overeating.

I bought plastic rainbow towers of drawers. Fairy lights. And I keep our artificial tree up on the white light setting. Magical spaces make me smile!

For containers, I used boxes, jars, large yogurt containers & even the cardboard trays that cat food comes in. When I had it all decluttered & organized in the recycled objects, then I could decide what to invest in.

What kinds of crafts do you enjoy doing?
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    @nebslp just read your’s! SS

Yes, I used what I have & then carefully purchased just two things. Rainbow drawers & a flat file to protect my large watercolor paper.

I keep walking around & snagging another bedside table or bookshelf LOL

I think art studios continually expand!
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,658 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    I am not done completely with the table pile because the last bit that is left is the bit that I need to re-sort a little, and perhaps also declutter a little, and then do a little computer work on some of the papers. This is what has remained on the chair as my renamed 'chair pile' that I mentioned in an earlier post.

Thinking about it more just now, I believe that it actually could qualify as a mini pile because most of what remains had already been sorted and organized the end of September before being added to the table pile because other paper belonging to it had been found on the table or came in the mail. So what I'm thinking is that it just needs to be dealt with separately from any other paper, and then a final resorting, then after a little work on the computer, then chair pile should be finished and filed away in the filing cabinet. Hopefully it is actually as simple a task as it sounds tonight.

So I believe that it is definitely not as bad as I was dreading it to actually be when I think about it, after having given myself some space of time with permission not to touch it for about a week or so. So I shall take care of that the beginning of November since only the weekend remains for October.

But, yes! my table is cleared off each night so far. So October's NSV has remained intact!

Decluttering since my last post about it:

October 22 and 26

Decluttering more miscellaneous papers including mail. Then more paper or near empty boxes I found as I tidy up various rooms. Another book in the donate box. And another bag of paper and shredds out the door!

October 28

I'm doing routine decluttering of new email and unsubscribing when possible, and decluttering old email this week. The bulk of which was done on the 28th.

🤠🌺
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,658 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    @PKM0515 way to go recycling the old CD player that you found and decluttering the Styrofoam that you found the other day!
    I hope that you are feeling a little bit better about things and also keeping up with your meds. Never give up and keep posting! We miss you when you aren't here 💖 .

@MadisonMolly2017 good for you for keeping up with having your art supplies organized, but not so much that you neglect the joy of keeping your focus on the main thing.... creating!! Well done!

Rainbow drawers sound like they will add beauty as well as function to your room. And fairy lights will be so wonderful when you set them up.
    It is so inspiring to me to hear your words of gratitude slip out probably without you even realizing it. Those moments remind me to continue looking for gratitude opportunities. They are like little tiny gems just waiting to be uncovered.

Thank you for what you shared on the 22nd with me. I am honored.

@nebslp That was funny about the truck that you saw the other day with the sign 'Paper Tiger' on it. I wonder if it is a local shredding company. The kind that one sees at banks or other businesses like office supply stores where they do major shredding jobs for their clients.

You found your marbles!!!???? What a relief! Now you know that you really did have some 🤣!

@SummerSkier I hope that someday soon that you will resolve the issues with the boat. Sometimes memories, emotions, relationships, and all sort of things get all wrapped up into a big blobby bundle and then it sticks onto a thing (like the boat).

Either to keep (why?) or to let it go (also why?). And how to let it go, or under what circumstances (of your choice not by default) you would continue to keep it in the future? So many decisions to make. Or maybe its really just one or two?? With extra to-do's that are part of the main decisions?

I hope that you can soon come to an actual decision that will allow you to be free in whatever way you need to be, so that you are at total peace with that decision.

Ha!! @nebslp figures out your name! I thought that you have might have gone skiing somewhere cold while it is was blazing hot summertime here in Texas. Water skiing never entered my thoughts 😉.

@goingape you are also in your craft area! let us know what sort of storage solutions you come up with! There are a number of us either actively working on our craft areas/ rooms or have been there, or about to go back again, at a later date for another pass through (this one is me 😄 but first I must tame some more of my paper tiger (🌿🐯🌳)) .

🤠🌺
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    @texasgardnr wow you have made great progress on the decluttering front. And really pretty cool that sometimes we have to give ourselves permission to just let something be for a few days or a week. And then reviewing it with fresh eyes or a new approach. I cleaned off my kitchen table last year this time when I was "ahem" dating someone who was going to come into the kitchen. And it has remained clear along with the stools. Of course there are many other places which I could declutter in the house and will eventually because I agree with @nebslp or whoever mentioned that it is a lot less stressful when things are organized and neat.

As far as the boat. I will let things be another few months. The storage is not excessive each month and it keeps it from getting damp etc. If I don't hear anything for another year than I will most likely just text him and tell him that I will assume full responsibility and ownership if he wants based on the dollars for 15 yrs storage insurance registration etc and bluebook current value. At that point he will be upstate and probably busy with his farm and just be happy to not have to think about it. I have photos taken of me on the boat and waterskiing and I have to say those are indeed the happiest days that I remember. Perhaps I will ski more, perhaps not, But I want to leave the door open for at least a little while longer. And it is not the memories with the ex or severing those ties. That happened really a long time ago. So between the boat and Bandit I have been very blessed.

summeryupwaterskiingmything

gbwslqjzw9de.png

• MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    @PKM0515 way to go recycling the old CD player that you found and decluttering the Styrofoam that you found the other day!
    I hope that you are feeling a little bit better about things and also keeping up with your meds. Never give up and keep posting! We miss you when you aren't here 💖 .

@MadisonMolly2017 good for you for keeping up with having your art supplies organized, but not so much that you neglect the joy of keeping your focus on the main thing.... creating!! Well done!

Rainbow drawers sound like they will add beauty as well as function to your room. And fairy lights will be so wonderful when you set them up.
    It is so inspiring to me to hear your words of gratitude slip out probably without you even realizing it. Those moments remind me to continue looking for gratitude opportunities. They are like little tiny gems just waiting to be uncovered.

Thank you for what you shared on the 22nd with me. I am honored.

@nebslp That was funny about the truck that you saw the other day with the sign 'Paper Tiger' on it. I wonder if it is a local shredding company. The kind that one sees at banks or other businesses like office supply stores where they do major shredding jobs for their clients.

You found your marbles!!!???? What a relief! Now you know that you really did have some 🤣!

@SummerSkier I hope that someday soon that you will resolve the issues with the boat. Sometimes memories, emotions, relationships, and all sort of things get all wrapped up into a big blobby bundle and then it sticks onto a thing (like the boat).

Either to keep (why?) or to let it go (also why?). And how to let it go, or under what circumstances (of your choice not by default) you would continue to keep it in the future? So many decisions to make. Or maybe its really just one or two?? With extra to-do's that are part of the main decisions?

I hope that you can soon come to an actual decision that will allow you to be free in whatever way you need to be, so that you are at total peace with that decision.

Ha!! @nebslp figures out your name! I thought that you have might have gone skiing somewhere cold while it is was blazing hot summertime here in Texas. Water skiing never entered my thoughts 😉.

@goingape you are also in your craft area! let us know what sort of storage solutions you come up with! There are a number of us either actively working on our craft areas/ rooms or have been there, or about to go back again, at a later date for another pass through (this one is me 😄 but first I must tame some more of my paper tiger (🌿🐯🌳)) .

🤠🌺

@texasgardnr !
    Oh fairy lights have been 6-7 years now!
    And I’m creating every day!

Step1: Declutter House 2015-2017
    Step 2: Declutter & donate unwanted art & art supplies from past 40 years 2018
    Step 3: set up my Creative Nest I Upstairs 2019
    Step 3A: move it to DR 5/2020
    Step 3B: move it to LR/Sunroom 8-10/2020
    Step 4: art making!! Began in earnest 1/1/19
    Step 5: art making daily began 9/1/20
    YAY!
  • nebslp
    Options
    Two failed attempts to send free motion quilting project 😢 but I’ll try again when it’s done.