Intro: Goals, Motivations, Plan

Options
3greyhorses
3greyhorses Posts: 529 Member
Hello!

I started this group as a way to hold myself accountable and to challenge myself to lose weight before May 1st. My goal is 35 pounds, with a starting weight of 175.5 lbs. I currently run 3 miles/3x/week and swim 3x/wk so I feel my exercise level is pretty decent. However, I love food and beer! I'm vegan, but there are a lot of delicious vegan foods out there. Oh, and craft beer is way too yummy. I always say I want to lose weight, eat for fuel and cut back on the beer, but my husband is my enabler. He buys the stuff and I have little willpower when junk is in the house. That's why I need your support!

My motivation for losing weight (once again) is to be healthier, more athletic and more energetic/less lazy. It would also be great to look better in my swimsuit and horse riding clothes!

I do have a goal of completing my first sprint triathlon next August and I hope to show my horses next summer. It's been too long since I've shown. The more fit I am, the easier it is to ride. Despite the rumors, the horse does NOT do all the work ;)

My plan is to cut beer and chips completely out of my diet. Today is day 3 and it's going just fine. I'm also tracking all of my calories, measuring portions and trying to stick to whole foods. I'll stick with running and swimming for now, but hope to add in more riding and yoga as well.

What brought you here? Can't wait to hear from everyone!
ยซ1

Replies

• rayonrainbows
    rayonrainbows Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Sara. Thanks for making this group ;D ๐ŸŒˆ I'm from the USA, but I've been living in Central America the past 9 years or so. The food in Nicaragua is sooooo oily and carbtastic. Thank goddess we don't have affordable fancy craft beers here or I'd probably be even heavier ๐Ÿ˜† Fortunately we live on a budget so we never ate out much, and especially now with Covid closing the school where I work, I'm totally cooking all of my meals now, trying to take back control.

I've been vegetarian or vegan since I was 16. Started the first few years strictly vegan, but when we moved to the Turks and Caicos Islands back in 2011 I kind of crept toward a vegetarian diet. Nowadays I'm about 90% vegan (no milk or eggs unless as a very minor ingredient if I buy bread or something) but I occasionally indulge in butter or cheese. Fortunately my partner is also a lifelong vegetarian.

Unfortunately, like you, (what's your name, 3gray?) my partner is also totally an enabler and his lifestyle isn't very healthy. He's recently accepted that he's got to fend for himself in the kitchen nowadays if his desires don't match my "diet". I hope if he starts noticing my progress that he'll get inspired to jump on the fitness train too ๐ŸŒž๐ŸŒˆ

Instead of cutting out alcohol altogether, I'm just trying to cut back. I've been buying club soda and making "mocktailz" or really weak and replacing some of my drinks with lime water, teas, etc.

My starting weight was 200lbs when I restarted MPF 2 weeks ago. I'm currently at 192. So my goal weight is 165 by May 1st ๐Ÿ’™

This is perfect timing for me because I turn 30 on May 7th. I will be so ecstatic to meet my goal just in time for my 3rd decade on Earth ๐ŸŒˆ๐Ÿ’™

Good luck everyone ๐Ÿค“๐Ÿ’ƒ let's do this!!! ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿป
  • mrsshots2011
    mrsshots2011 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hello! My name is Karla. I'm so excited for this group. I really need some accountability on my food. My biggest hurdle are my proportions. I eat pretty healthy most of the time it is my proportions that are out of control. LOL! I also am a beer lover and so is my husband. We made a commitment to each other a couple of weeks ago that we would slow down and partake only a couple times a month instead of 2 or 3 times a week. So far so good. I've noticed though, for myself, once I make a decision it's pretty easy to say no.

A little about me:
    I am currently (as of 11/9/2020) 185.8 lbs
    I am 53 years old and refuse to feel like it. :smiley:
    My height is 5'7 & 3/4" but I just tell everyone I'm 5'8" :wink:
    I live in Oklahoma where fried food and comfort food is its own food group
    I discovered how to love exercising about 8 years ago and have a pretty consistent routine. In 2019, I had a goal to do a 5k every month for the year and I completed it. It was VERY satisfying and I was extremely proud of myself. I don't like to exercise by myself but I trained and did several of the 5Ks alone.
    Weight Goal #1 - 180
    Weight Goal #2 - 170
    Weight Goal #3 - 160
    Final Goal - 150

I've never had a problem taking the weight off when I wanted to because I would just do the latest fad diet and it would come off. The problem has been keeping it off. I joined WW about 8 years ago and got to 160. I felt great. I was exercising about 5-6 times a week. I had tons of energy and looked fabulous in my clothes. I heard how great I looked all the time and then... I lost the vision for my final goal. I didn't think I needed to write down everything I was eating. I guessed on my proportions which kept increasing to bigger ones and eventually quit WW. If it wasn't for exercising I really feel that I would probably be 230-250 by now. I was 203 when I got married in 2011. I know the only way for me to take it off and keep it off is to write down what I put in my mouth. To be mindful of what I eat and to keep in front of me that it is not a diet it is my lifestyle. I have this mindset for my exercise I need the same mindset for eating.

Sorry for the rambling but I am excited. I believe my goals are obtainable. I just need the accountability and having people with the same goal of losing their goal weight before May 1st is awesome.

Look forward to hearing about everyone's goals, thoughts and advice.

Karla <3
  • c_l_belle
    c_l_belle Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi, Paree. Thank you for starting this group.

Hi Sara! Welcome.

Hello to all who join us.

I am Camisha. My current weight is 231.2 lbs. I am 5'2". I want to build consistent fitness and nutritional habits leading to improved overall health, strength, and mobility. Completing this challenge will put me just below the 200 lb mark (196 lbs). I can't wait.

My weakness is sweets. I have been cutting back on having them in my home as well as partaking. I work for a church and the church ladies love to feed the pastors and staff. There are always goodies at the church especially around the holidays.

Good luck to everyone. Can't wait to get to know, support, and celebrate success with you all!
  • rayonrainbows
    Options
    Hi Karla and Camisha! ๐ŸŒˆ๐Ÿงš

I know the holidays will be a challenge. I'm glad we've got each other for accountability and motivation! โค๏ธ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›

I also got in the habit of massive portions! I actually haven't made my portions any smaller; I've just replaced some of the heavier foods with mounds of veggies. Still get lots of food and full belly but more reasonable calories.

Camisha~ Enjoy those holiday treats!! ๐Ÿฅง๐Ÿฐ Just remember moderation ๐Ÿ’ซ Appreciate every bite! ๐ŸŒˆ

I'm looking forward to May! We've got this chicas! ๐Ÿ”ฎ๐Ÿคธ๐Ÿค“
  • cthea21
    cthea21 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone๐Ÿ‘‹! Thank you for creating this group! It's so nice to see so many motivated people here! I love everyone's story/journey and I'm glad to be here with all of ya'll! A little about me: My name is Ms. C and I'm an unhealthy food addict! I'm 50 y.o.; 55-60 lbs. overweight, and determined to lose every bit of it by retraining my brain & body to eat healthy & exercise for the rest of my life! I've been using this app for 4 years. I've only used it a few days/weeks each year and then went back to my regular eating habits, which is one of the reasons why I lost no weight. This time IS different: I can't expain it, but I'm confident of it! I started 4 days ago and I'm radical with it this time, I've made decades of mistakes, but I've done a ton of research and this time I know what I should eat and how much of it, and what I shouldn't eat, I know what to keep track of and what's not important, and I know what my addictions and my excuses are. I'm an unhealthy food addict and my main addictions are common: (sugars/breads/chocolate), so this time I said my forever goodbyes to my very unhealthy addictions. I'm approaching my addition like this: If I was an alcoholic and wanted to get sober I wouldn't go in a bar or have a shot with my friends or have a cheat day where I only drink alcohol on that day, so knowing that I'm a food addict and I want to break my addictions, I'm not going to go to restaurants, etc, and I'm not going to have that chocolate bar or that cheat day. That part of my life is over and I couldn't be happier about it! This definitely isn't an approach for everyone, and none of this is meant to be advice, I'm just sharing my own approach and my own journey with ya'll. I'm ready for this and I'm so glad to be here in this support group! -35 by May 1st: We GOT this!!! ๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿ˜
  • cthea21
    cthea21 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I forgot to add that my correct weght as of 4 days ago was 208 (I'm only going to with myself once a week), my goal is to get to 148-150 by the end of next year (but I really would like to reach that goal by late summer).
    And does anyone know how I can add my photo to my profile pic on here? I have a profile pic on my fitness app profile, but for some reason it doesn't show up in the community portion of the app, and I can't figure out how to add it here....
  • sandee_shore
    sandee_shore Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone! I'm Alexzan a so happy to have found this group. Although I would love to loss 35# by May and will try, my realistic goal will be to loose 4 pounds a month.

Some info. about my weight journey. My entire life I have loved to eat. When I was a lot younger I was able to maintain a BMI within a normal range by recreational activities, exercises and skipping meals. I have always been a binge eater, just can't have one of something if it tastes good. Salty food are my downfall! Never really a sweet eater and generally skipped desserts but always had second helping of savory food items. (125# - 140#)
    In my 40's is when my weight began to creep up. Less activity and no will power. Would have spurts of dieting and lose and re-gain weight. I would eat a bag of potato chips then starve the next day to compensate. I would try to make a deficit for overeating but as time went by I would give in and eat food anyway. When I taste something really good I just need to finish it all! My body just doesn't listen to portion control and the pounds kept piling on. (145# - 180#)
    Over the ensuing years I have needed a hip replacement, have bad knees and severe back issues that now prevent me from doing much exercise to help take off the pounds. So I need to rely on managing my food intake to take off the pounds. Things didn't change for the long term and now I was at the highest weight I have ever been. I believe that I eat mindlessly when stressed out and food relaxes me. When stressed or anxious I am continually hungry and can't concentrate until I have my fill of food.
    (June, 2019 - 237#)
    It has been a very slow process. But began to take control of my food intake, very small changes. I have lost weight, hit plateaus, gained 5 pounds but realized I didn't want to re-gain again so got back on track.

(June, 2020 - 206#)
    At the year mark I was really pumped to get into the "Onederland" status but it was tough and I achieved this for about a minute.

(August, 2020 - 199#) Gained 2 and hit a plateau. Decided to get serious about my portion control problem and started counting calories for accountability. Somehow writing it down I became more committed and noticed how many times I would snatch a spoonful or bite of food. Keeping track of calories, carbs and protein on my own became tedious so I checked out the internet for a calorie counter program. After checking a few out I came upon MFP and liked the community for common goals. Joined in October, 2020.

(November 7, 2020 - 191.1) My goal is to lose +/- 1 pound a week/ hopefully 5 pounds a month. My fear is the upcoming Holidays will be a challenge and really want to stay on track. Not over-eating, continuing to make wise choices with my food and learning to portion control my food. Being able to eat 2 potato chips to treat myself and not the entire bag! Since losing some of the weight I have started taking my dogs for short walks.

Would love to hear about your goals and journey.

sandee_shore (alexzan)

Female - 70 yrs. 5' 3"
    (SW) 237# - June, 2019
    (CW) 191.1#
    (STG) 182# - December 25 (ShortTermGoal)
    (GW) 150#
    (UGW) 130# (UltimateGoalWeight)
  • 3greyhorses
    Options
    Love it! Thank you all for joining and sharing your stories and goals. We've got this!
  • 3greyhorses
    Options
    Good morning everyone! Thank you so much for joining and I hope more will share their stories and use the group however works best for them. For me, I need a place to share my daily goals and progress as a way to hold myself accountable. With that, my plan is to post the number of days left each morning as a countdown and a space to reflect on the day. I hope you'll join me and check in as often as you can to hold yourselves accountable and to receive/give support to others. Again, thanks for joining. We can do this!
  • 3greyhorses
    Options
    Oh, and please feel free to create your own posts to share whatever you'd like! The more engagement, the better!
  • c_l_belle
    c_l_belle Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    @cthea21 if you set your profile picture, it should display throughout MFP. Go to Settings > Edit Profile. If it's not working that way, you may need to send a message to support.
  • rayonrainbows
    Options
    Hi Tammy, Ms. C, Alexzan, Emma, and Jade!

So good to read your stories and not feel alone on this health-improvement journey!! ๐Ÿ’ So glad we're all here and ready to make some real changes in our bodies/lives ๐Ÿค“๐Ÿค“

I look forward to checking in with everyone over the next 6 months and watching our progress. ๐ŸŒˆ๐Ÿฆ‹
  • cowsanddogsarecute
    cowsanddogsarecute Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm Dakota.

I'm 36. I'm 5'7.

I have osteoarthritis in both of my knees and both sides of my lower back and gout in my right foot lol. I have no choice but to lose weight. It's been about 2 years this time that I've been losing weight. I lost some weight then moved back in with my parents after a relationship break up and stress ate because my mum is crazy and hard to live with. Back into another relationship and moved in with him. Was also dating 3 others at the same time. Broke up with all but one of them and moved into a place by myself in May 2020. First time living with a stranger lol. Got back into weight loss at this time and slowly losing since.

HW: 147.7 kgs
    CW: 121 kgs
    31/12/20 GW: 117.7 kgs
    1/5/21 GW: 100 kgs
    Ultimate GW: no idea yet
  • GabiV125
    GabiV125 Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    Hi, Iโ€™m Gabi 48yo and on my way to lose the last 15lb. I do not fit the โ€œ35lb by Mayโ€ criteria, but all the other parts of this challenge: determined to try harder and be consistent with my tracking and exercise.
    A little bit of background: I carried extra weight after my last pregnancy (14 years ago), added and subtracted bigger and bigger#, many times, usually with fads diets. In January 2020 I was at 20lbs remaining and took a brake from weight loss. Surprisingly I stayed there and on August 1st restarted on MFP, this time the right way, and managed to drop 5lb in almost 4 months. Probably 6+ months are not enough for me to lose the 15lb but I need to push myself a little bit more and this group sounds exactly the way to get there.
    I cook most of our meals (soups and stews), but also like to snack at night enough to be at maintenance or over calories. I walk my dog about 10,000 steps a day with very little else in terms of physical activities.
    Iโ€™ll login every day and look forward for the accountability.