Wish List

Options
laura14fit
laura14fit Posts: 37 Member
If you could wish for one thing to make living with diabetes easier, what would it be?
Mine would be a cook to provide all meals and snacks. I first thought it would be a housekeeper but after thinking about it, I could count all chores as exercise.

Replies

• jorgecarbajal223
    jorgecarbajal223 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I wish diabetes had a trial run. Once you get it, its for life, but had i lived my life a month like this I may have changed my eating ways. Honestly its been a blessing for me, I quit drinking, cut weight, and overall feel better about what I eat.
  • laura14fit
    Options
    Oh, Jorge, me too, if I could only have known then what I do now. Sadly, we can't go backwards but we can go onwards and try to make our best decisions now. Somebody, I don't know who, said that life is squandered on the young. I always thought that person had to be living with a lot of regret. I don't want to be the person who sees nothing but regret in my life so I'll take responsibility for any foolishness of years gone by and try to be wiser now. I'll always be the person who needs some sweet in life but I want that sweet to be seeing my grandchildren for years to come. Take care of yourself now and look foward.
  • GabbieRunsAllDay
    GabbieRunsAllDay Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I wish people would stop judging me for my T2, and jumping to conclusions that it's because I eat a poor diet, or because I'm too fat, or don't exercise.
  • jorgecarbajal223
    jorgecarbajal223 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    yeah forreal Gabriel! I got all the criticisms too when i became type 2. Alot of my family members have it as well, and they even chimed in on my diagnosis. All I can do now is prove them wrong and worry about myself.
  • laura14fit
    Options
    People often act out of a lot of misinformation and that can be less than supportive. Stick to your diabetes plan and your diabetes team. I always filter 'outside' diabetes advice and consider the source. With family it's difficult because advice can be offered out of real concern and also out of a fear of change. I had to develop a tougher skin to deal with it. It's YOUR diabetes journey.
  • GabbieRunsAllDay
    GabbieRunsAllDay Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Last night I went for dinner with my partner. Was expecting a heavy carb meal, anyways long story I over medicated and ended up with a blood sugar of 43 :s This ever happened to anyone else?
  • laura14fit
    Options
    Yes, I try to keep an even keel with my insulin dosage and not adjust for those high carbs unexpected meals. My doctor is very firm about avoiding lows, which are dangerous and can have bad long term congnitive effects. So I'll put up with the high for that day and really watch my menu after that. For me it's better to return to normal BS that way rather than over medicate. Consult with your diabetes team. Low BS is no fun.
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I wish people would stop judging me for my T2, and jumping to conclusions that it's because I eat a poor diet, or because I'm too fat, or don't exercise.

This. I lost a stone rapidly before my diagnosis and that was actually the trigger for the blood test in the first place. I am a former track athlete and exercise regularly. Mine is genetic and my father (also a skinny T2) was probably misdiagnosed as a T2 when he was probably T1.5.

Even my cousin and husband who are both what would be termed as 'typical Type 2' by the tabloids here have nothing but opinions... "You exercise too much, your exercise isn't the right exercise" ... however they are now wondering how they put on 3kg in lockdown when I am 3lb off being my lightest weight since I was in my 30s... so... yeah they can do them, I will be do me.
  • laura_b00
    laura_b00 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My wish would be not to have to use insulin, but they may just not be possible, since diabetes is a progressive disease. I'm on meds right now, and can eventually try an injectable like Trulicity. My other wish is to continue to lose weight and get better control my diabetes. Keep on exercising rfsatar, look for more supportive people, you seem to be doing just fine.
  • laura14fit
    Options
    A lot of times insulin is just the reality as diabetes is a progressive disease. Taking insulin is not a bad thing and does not reflect badly on a person. I went through a long period where I thought 'if I lose the weight' I can get off insulin. It was my very own insulin shaming because I was not strong enough in my mind. Took me a long while to realize, I'm not in my 40's anymore, I'm mid sixties and will never again be 150 lbs. But I can be a fit 170 lbs on insulin with blood sugar targets where they should be. I can exercise regularly, eat in moderation and enjoy life. Don't put the blame game on yourself or let anyone else either.
  • Travelerraven
    Travelerraven Posts: 42 Member
    Options

I agree I developed type 2 Diabetes from stress my cortisol levels were to high. I train, cycle and walk with my dogs daily my blood sugar now is between 5.6 and 7.5 mmol/L.
    When you mention you can't eat or drink that as I am type 2 diabetic people seem to profile you as a lazy slob with horrible dietary habits.
    All my life I have eaten healthy following a clean 85 % plant based diet been active with my dogs [huskies], training weight lifting, climbing, scuba diving, swimming, and cycling both road and mountain bike. So I do find it a little insulting when people assume you developed diabetes from being lazy and eating junk.

My wish would be that I knew stressing your body and and stress in general can lead to Type 2 Diabetes.
  • petiteallie
    petiteallie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    laura14fit wrote: »
    If you could wish for one thing to make living with diabetes easier, what would it be?
    Mine would be a cook to provide all meals and snacks. I first thought it would be a housekeeper but after thinking about it, I could count all chores as exercise.

I would definitely want a cook as well. I hate washing the dishes after the fact, and I don't think I am a great cook anyways. Having a cook would make life easier by taking one decision I have to make for the day out of the picture (times 3 if you eat 3 meals a day)!