67 days down!

Options
3greyhorses
3greyhorses Posts: 529 Member
Hi All :smile:

Anyone following my journey can probably guess that I'm struggling with the short, cold, dark days of winter here in central Illinois, USA. It's so hard for me to wake up cheery and ready to take on the day like I do during the rest of the year. And it's definitely starting to affect my weight! The less motivated I am to get out the door for exercise, the crappier I feel. The crappier I feel, the more I want to eat fattening "comfort" foods. Luckily, I start my part-time job again tomorrow and have several appointments through the week that will force me to get out and about. Once I'm off the property, I'm much more likely to be more active all around. So, despite the grey skies and cold temps, I expect this week to be a good one!

How many of us are in the darkness of winter? Here are some tips: https://www.eatthis.com/seasonal-affective-disorder/
I don't think @rayonrainbows understands the value of her beach pics!!

My hubby is home today so I'll eat whatever he makes for me. I have 2 appointments that are at awkward times of the day so I may not be able to go for a run, but I would like to. We'll see how the day rolls out! I will definitely drink my water and try to track calories.

Have a great day! 103 days until May 1st :blush:

aviuknh9c88p.png

Replies

• taxgirl1
    taxgirl1 Posts: 1,287 Member
    Options
    @3greyhorses I live in the Pacific Northwest, so I totally understand what you are talking about with the grey skies of winter. This time of year also drags me easily into depression, so this time of the year is difficult for me. When I get depressed I tend to not want to do anything and instead just lie in bed all day. This winter was hard, so I was getting out and going for a walk whenever it wasn't raining, but there were days that were still difficult. During those rough days, I try and give myself the ok for only doing the things in the day that I have to do and forgetting about doing anything else. I also use a light box, but unfortunately I forget to use it before I get into depression because I don't feel depressed, and then when I am depressed I don't have the energy to use it, but it does help when I use it.

One thing I mentally do is as the days start getting shorter is that I give myself some self-talk. When daylight savings ends, I say to my self "ok, only X amount of weeks until Dec. 21st, the shortest day of the year, I can get through this." Then on Dec. 21st I say, "ok, this is the shortest day of the year, I made it, from now on the days are going to get longer." I also say to myself "I only have X amount of weeks until daylight savings begin and then it will lighter outside for longer." Then once daylight savings time begins I tell myself "ok, I've made it, now the days will only get longer, it will only better from now on." I continually tell myself this throughout the winter and it helps me to mentally break up the months of dreary weather.

Today I am going to see my trainer. Gyms were allowed to re-open recently. I told my trainer about my injury and he told me he has trained people who are in a walking boot, so I'm going to train today. It will be interesting.

• Katebook309yahoocom940
    Options
    @taxgirl1 I think its amazing that your going out to train despite your injury. Very inspiring👏

Goals for today:
    - drink 32 oz of water
    - eat a fruit and vegetable
    - stay under calories
    - exercise for an hour
  • tinacuso
    tinacuso Posts: 4,256 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies -
    It has been very grey and depressing here in upstate New York. I wish the sun would come out.

@3greyhorses - Thanks for the picture of the sun. I know it will come back.
    @taxigirl1 - Good luck with the trainer. Like @Katebook309yahoocom940 said "very inspiring"

Didn't log my calories or work on my curtains yesterday so I will try again today!

Goals for today:
    - Get a walk in
    - drink 32 oz of water
    - log all my calories
    - get back to working on my curtains!
  • 3greyhorses
    Options
    @taxgirl1 Yes, I used to live in Seattle. I couldn't live there again...maybe on the other side of the mountains, but it's not quite the same over there. Go Cougs!
    That's awesome you're going to work out with your trainer!
  • sharonarkoff
    sharonarkoff Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I can't blame the weather, as it was bright and sunny in Massachusetts this morning -- though now it's grey and windy.... But. I cannot for the life of me remember what I ate for breakfast, if anything. Does anyone else have this issue? Did I not eat anything (possible.... dog was insisting on a walk Right Now Mom!)? Did I eat something fattening that I have conveniently repressed into my subconscious? Oh well. Tomorrow is another day. :-)
  • sharonarkoff
    sharonarkoff Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Also, greyhorses, my horse says that things are looking up! He is shedding (two months early, for him) and fur is coming off of him in sheets. The birds are happy with this early arrival of nesting material. Not so great if you have on chapstick or wear contact lenses, though. Good thing I have on a mask so I'm not getting hair in my mouth. So, if he's shedding, you know what that means! That means the days are getting longer, and the sun is on its way to finding you and lighting up your way, just as you light up the weight loss journey for all of us.
  • GabiV125
    GabiV125 Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I can’t complain about south winter weather except the lack of snow and I already done that several times 😁.

I planned nice active things in the morning and then they did not happen- cleaned the upstairs first thing in the morning, and at 10 ran to do some shopping before the brunch crowd got out. Came home and cooked a storm, walked my dog and bam, the day was done. Or my energy, one or the other.
  • 3greyhorses
    Options
    We had a tiny bit of sun at the end of the day today!

@sharonarkoff I noticed how much my boys are shedding today too! I was holding them for the farrier and ended up with grey hair everywhere. Our next appointment is March 1st...almost spring B)

@GabiV125 I'm always amazed at how easily the days slip by. Sounds like you had a productive one :blush:

3fhqm0doscqm.png
  • rayonrainbows
    rayonrainbows Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    @taxgirl1 funny I just read an article about Daylight Saving Time with a Chinese student of mine tonight who was like WTF is this madness :D That's a good mindset! Look on the sunny side!! Please take care of your injury and don't overdo it! <3

@tinacuso would love a pic of those curtains someday! Such effort and commitment!

@sharonarkoff i love your harbinger horse optimism! :)

@3greyhorses this is sunset a couple of weeks ago :) I don't bring my phone out of the house often. I just got my first smartphone a few months ago so it's not habit yet. Also concern of theft. But I should take more pix!!

gec1bz203tiq.jpg
  • 3greyhorses
    Options
    @rayonrainbows Stunning :grin:<3 Thanks for sharing!
    I definitely need to get to a beach once COVID is more under control! Unfortunately, it's about a 14 hour drive to any beach from me. Unless I want to go to Lake Michigan in Chicago, which is about 2.5 hours. The lake is huge and seems like the ocean except in the winter when it often has ice balls! 24pptovfmb0m.png
  • rayonrainbows
    rayonrainbows Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Woahh! That's crazy 🤩
  • melissalan
    melissalan Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I live in Texas, so there’s usually no shortage of sun for us. But today it’s raining. I looked in the fridge to fix something for lunch and was like, “I don’t want a bright, colorful salad today.” I ended up fixing some soup.