Weight No More - February 2021 Team Chat

Replies

• minstrelofsarcasm
    minstrelofsarcasm Posts: 2,204 Member
    podperson1 wrote: »
    I am def feeling you all with the scales. Got on mine this morning, SUPER down - thought that can't be right so tried again, up 5lbs, tried again, down 4lbs... Stood on it about 6 times, each time a different weight!! Don't know if this means my scale has died? Was in the same spot on the floor while I was doing it so I honestly have no idea what's wrong with it *sighs*

That could definitely be a sign of your scale's battery starting to go, or another component inside the scale is unbalanced, or a ghost was playing a prank on you, or... there's a lot of different things that could be the explanation. Do you weigh yourself every day, or just once a week for your weigh-in?
  • podperson1
    podperson1 Posts: 207 Member
    @minstrelofsarcasm - I changed the batteries fairly recently so don't think it would be that but will try and dig out some more. There might be something gone funny inside it, but have no idea how I would check that lol! I weigh every day.
  • minstrelofsarcasm
    @podperson1 - Can you try it again tomorrow? If it's still a problem, then there may be an issue inside your scale, and it may be time for a new one. Could be wear and tear on the components inside the scale, which are intended to break over time so you're guaranteed to buy new things.
  • @podperson1 this might be obvious, but is your floor completely level? My house is 40+ years old and all the floors are slightly wonky. My scale changes my weight if I move it a cm either way.

Also it's not on carpet, right? That would play havoc as well.
  • debbiewsharpe
    debbiewsharpe Posts: 416 Member
    @podperson1

Test if your scale is accurate by finding an item with an exact weight, for example, a 10-pound free weight. If the scale registers anything other than 10 pounds, it needs to be calibrated or replaced. Many digital scales have a calibration mechanism that may need to be reset, so check for that as well. I hope this helps :)
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,305 Member
    edited February 2021
    melaniedscott
    Week 1 (Wednesday weigh-in, late)
    PW: 209.7
    CW: 212.7
    +3 WHICH IS A LIE!

Not sure what's up with this but I'm not going to stress. Maybe it is some of the other stuff going on resulting is water weight hanging on. I quit taking the diuretic, too. It's three down from yesterday...so clearly something is wonky this week.
  • minstrelofsarcasm
    edited February 2021
    minstrelofsarcasm
    February Week One

Weigh In Day: Thursdays
    PW (Previous Weight): 167.2 (January 29th)
    CW (Current Weight): 168.0 (February 4th)
    LTD (Loss to Date): 66.0 lbs

Given how bloated I'm feeling today, I was expecting the scale to give me an even higher number. I'll take the slight gain, especially since I'm focused on recomposition right now.

Food:

I've been eating a bit above my calorie goal, on average. This wasn't exactly intentional, since there have been a few pretzel/strawberry jelly binges that I haven't logged (whoops), but the extra calories balanced out across the week are pretty consistent with a very slow loss/recomposition diet, and my protein levels have been high enough that I'm positive there's been at least a little fat-to-muscle action. I'm probably going to continue on this path for a bit longer, until my body is more used to the resistance training schedule I've set for it. Then maybe we'll get back to the weight-loss.

Exercise:

I have attended 5 spin classes, and 4 resistance training sessions since my last weigh-in. The weather/winter darkness hasn't really allowed for any walks, so most of my recovery time is with my foam roller or while grocery shopping. I'll be honest, working from home has ruined my "I'm bored with spreadsheets, let's go downstairs and check on things in the workshop" routine, so I'm missing the extra steps (while wearing steel-toed shoes, because I work for a manufacturing company) I used to have every day.

I've been debating taking regularly scheduled breaks from my dining table to go up the stairs of my apartment building, do a lap around the top floor, and then come back down, but every time I consider it, I'm not in a position to leave and go do it.

Mindset:

Adding a new workout seems to have revitalized my motivation to exercise. Spin class is still challenging, but it's become very predictable for me (I've done almost 800 classes at this point, so I suppose that's to be expected?), and I have no problem meeting most challenges. But now, now I find myself unsure of if I can accomplish everything, and that's the kind of challenge that drives me the hardest, because I know I have the determination to keep working at them until I get them right.

Sure, the numbers can be disheartening. But the more I talk about how my numbers came to be, the more comforted I am. In a way, I've become the unofficial poster child at my spin studio, since I've dropped 60+ lbs since joining the studio, and gone from being unable to (spin class jargon warning!) stay out of the saddle for a 70 bpm jog to holding a 105 bpm sprint out of the saddle for a full 3.5 minute song. Instructors direct some of the new members to me if they are having doubts about themselves, members who are trying to conquer some of the bigger obstacles in class ask me for advice, veterans compete with me on the scoreboard. I've become one with the studio. If only they paid me for my service.

Tired-of-Studying-Read-These-Motivational-Quotes-to-Get-You-Fired-Up-to-Study-Now-3-Nothing-worth-it-comes-easy-John-Wooden.png
  • mxlaw90
    mxlaw90 Posts: 75 Member
    Hello again everyone!

My name is Marcy, I think this is my third or fourth month in this group. Regardless, its been amazing at helping me keep myself accountable just by the weekly postings and seeing everyone else's success. My weight has always been very up and down, before my son was born I was around 130 lbs but at his first birthday I weighed 175 and that when I knew changes had to be made I lost 40 lbs in about 1.5 years. I love hiit workouts and running but the first lockdown really got to me and before I knew it I was up to about 165 again , this month i am planning to run 26.2 miles before the months end and get my weight below 145lbs.

Week 1
    PW 148.8 lbs
    CW 148.2 lbs
  • pacsnc6
    pacsnc6 Posts: 978 Member
    edited February 2021
    pacsnc6
    Thursday weigh in
    week 1
    pw: 161
    cw: 161.2

-Not absolutely sure, I will check it again tomorrow morning-
  • podperson1
    Hi all,

Thanks everyone for the scales advice. I've managed to run a recalibration and fingers crossed it seems ok - is at least giving me the same numbers in a row anyway :D I get so annoyed with scales, they just don't seem to last anymore, and I tend to buy ones that say things like '10 year warranty' but by the time it actually packs up on me, maybe 1-2 years later, then the paperwork has long gone! Anyway...

Weigh in
    username - podperson1
    week - 1
    PW - 186.3
    CW - 184.2

I'm happy with that (though slightly sad the 6lb down yesterday was really a scale blip lol). Has been quite a good week calorie/food wise but def need to get my *kitten* in gear with the exercise.

@minstrelofsarcasm - I feel exhausted just reading your exercise routine lol. Is def inspiring though :)
  • kandi3570
    kandi3570 Posts: 238 Member
    @debbiewsharpe congrats on your magic number!!! I’m glad you found the trick to getting your water.
    @tryingagain5 congrats you’ve done really well this last month!!!
    @melaniedscott that cheesecake sounds horrible honestly. But I have to tell you when I was pregnant I gained 30 pounds in a month over those multiple type cheesecakes at Walmart. I had an excuse and well why not. Lmao. But I don’t even know if I could eat regular cheesecake now. I can’t eat bread anymore. It tastes like straight sugar.
  • ljdanny
    ljdanny Posts: 2,060 Member
    Ljdanny
    Week 1
    Thursday
    Pw 190.8
    Cw 189.8
  • rachelrjh
    rachelrjh Posts: 258 Member
    I’m on track to lose 3 to 4 pounds by this Sunday. I’ve been dieting since Dec. 25 when I was at 198 pounds. I’m now at 183 pounds. That’s an average weight loss of 2.5 lbs./wk. Has anyone else had this kind of success? Don’t the people on the show The Biggest Loser lose a ton of weight really fast?
    I eat on average about 1400 kcal a day. I am careful to watch my carbs and to only eat in an 8-10 hour window. I get an average of 6K steps a day and I workout three times a week. I feel like if it comes off fast, let it. I’m not going to stress losing more than 2 pounds in a week. The same as I won’t stress when there is a week that I only lose 1 pound or less.

What do you guys think? Should I be hard on myself for losing more than 2 pounds this week? I’m not starving myself, and I feel I’m getting my nutrition in. I know everyone says don’t lose more than 1 to 2 pounds a week, but I don’t see the big deal unless you are underweight. My BMI is still currently obese. What are your thoughts?
  • podperson1
    rachelrjh wrote: »
    I’m on track to lose 3 to 4 pounds by this Sunday. I’ve been dieting since Dec. 25 when I was at 198 pounds. I’m now at 183 pounds. That’s an average weight loss of 2.5 lbs./wk. Has anyone else had this kind of success? Don’t the people on the show The Biggest Loser lose a ton of weight really fast?
    I eat on average about 1400 kcal a day. I am careful to watch my carbs and to only eat in an 8-10 hour window. I get an average of 6K steps a day and I workout three times a week. I feel like if it comes off fast, let it. I’m not going to stress losing more than 2 pounds in a week. The same as I won’t stress when there is a week that I only lose 1 pound or less.

What do you guys think? Should I be hard on myself for losing more than 2 pounds this week? I’m not starving myself, and I feel I’m getting my nutrition in. I know everyone says don’t lose more than 1 to 2 pounds a week, but I don’t see the big deal unless you are underweight. My BMI is still currently obese. What are your thoughts?

2lbs a week is a great amount to be losing, please don't stress about losing more than that.
    Some points to think about; contestants on The Biggest Loser are generally at least in the upper 200s and more often well over 300slbs. The bigger you are the quicker you can drop, and the lower you get the more it slows down. Second, shows like that are all about 'fast losses'- sadly a large percentage of people on them go home and put most of it straight back on again as they're unable to keep up that kind of extreme diet/exercise programme when they have to go back to their day-to-day life and without trainers shouting in their face. Losing slower and steady means that you're building up healthier habits and will not only lose the weight but keep it off as well. You're doing fab, I'd say just keep doing what you're doing x
  • rachelrjh
    rachelrjh Posts: 258 Member
    Thanks for the reply @podperson1 .
    I was worried that you guys might say I’m losing too fast. I like the community here, and I also like what I’m doing right now to lose weight. Once I get down to 160 to 155, I’ll up my calories to about 1600/ day. Then when I reach 145 to 140, I will be back at 1800 to 2000/ day. But for now, I’m sticking with only eating 1200-1400 calories per day even if that means I lose 3 or 4 pounds in a week.
  • kandi3570
    So I think I may have broken my plateau. I guess we will find out in the morning. I’ve been stuck since January 16th. So I went away last weekend and I ate what I wanted. I tried to make healthier choices specifically no fast food but I ate chips and salsa and chips and spinach artichoke dip. And I think it may have broken my plateau you know after I flushed the carb weight. 🤞
  • kandi3570
    @rachelrjh don’t worry about losing too fast as long as you are doing it the right way it’s fine. Congrats!
  • debbiewsharpe
    melaniedscott
    Week 1 (Wednesday weigh-in, late)
    PW: 209.7
    CW: 212.7
    +3 WHICH IS A LIE!

Not sure what's up with this but I'm not going to stress. Maybe it is some of the other stuff going on resulting is water weight hanging on. I quit taking the diuretic, too. It's three down from yesterday...so clearly something is wonky this week.

You are so right, don't stress. You know you are doing what you can with diet and exercise.
  • debbiewsharpe
    @minstrelofsarcasm

Your exercise is amazing! Congrats on becoming the "go to" person in your spin class. I am sure that you will keep a close eye on the slight gain. I go up and down while doing diet and exercise that should have me losing. I am really thinking about adding calories. I would appreciate your scientific opinion.
  • debbiewsharpe
    mxlaw90 wrote: »
    Hello again everyone!

My name is Marcy, I think this is my third or fourth month in this group. Regardless, its been amazing at helping me keep myself accountable just by the weekly postings and seeing everyone else's success. My weight has always been very up and down, before my son was born I was around 130 lbs but at his first birthday I weighed 175 and that when I knew changes had to be made I lost 40 lbs in about 1.5 years. I love hiit workouts and running but the first lockdown really got to me and before I knew it I was up to about 165 again , this month i am planning to run 26.2 miles before the months end and get my weight below 145lbs.

Week 1
    PW 148.8 lbs
    CW 148.2 lbs

It sounds like you have a great plan for February! Congrats on the loss this week.
This discussion has been closed.