Hey There

Options
kianacj
kianacj Posts: 5 Member
Hi everyone!

Has anyone had success maintaining or losing weight while taking methimazole?

Replies

• runninggal30
    runninggal30 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi. I see this is an old post. I'm just starting my journey, only on Methimazole two weeks. I'm curious to hear how this has worked out for you?
  • useyourthorns
    useyourthorns Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm currently working with doc to reduce Methimazole. I gained 10lbs a week when first prescribed.
  • salvagedlife
    salvagedlife Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I gained weight quickly when I first started taking it. My dosage is very low now and I'm finding it easier to lose than when I was on a higher dose.
  • lynle0423
    lynle0423 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! I am 4.5 years into the battle of Graves with Methimazole. I had gone to remission once for like 2 months. I went from 165 (which was already heavy for me) to 214 in a matter of 9 months. Then down to 160 once I was in remission again. Today i am at 180.2. As much as I want to blame the first endocrinologist for not telling me I would gain even more weight, I can't. I have been in the medical field. I should have realized when the meds was reducing my production of the hormone it was also reducing my metabolism. Had I known this, I would have started trying Paleo earlier. I didn't. And I found I only gained the weight back and my numbers went even higher when I stopped the Paleo. It's not an easy way of eating. But I am trying.

I wish my fellow Gravester great luck and success!