January 19th, 2019 my past

Options
akielroki
akielroki Posts: 29 Member
edited January 2019 in Social Groups
I didn't introduce myself or what I'm dealing with.
I'm Julie.
I was the driver and only person injured in a severe car accident on October 10th, 2011. I ran into an oncoming semi on the highway for reasons unknown (I blame the car) arvlw09mj3i1.jpg
r82a9552ggsw.jpg

I broke 42 bones including both my femurs, both knees, right ankle, left arm and hand, right wrist, all of my left ribs, left collarbone, left shoulderblade, L1 and L5
l1ldc5plzipu.jpg
q84xcpdwfsfp.jpg

Many surgeries were done in the first couple of months.
I had plates on my femurs for over a year and got to a point where they were hindering my progress so we tried removing one from my left leg. The bone snapped during a stress test while I was still under so a rod was placed inside the femur instead. Some months later, we tried taking the plate out of my right leg. All was well for about 2 days, when I leaned forward to pop a zit my femur snapped. I was in traction for about a day then had a rod put into that femur too. My collarbone healed wonky because I had broken my shoulderblade too and there was no way to deal with it at the time. It was messing with my back a lot though so I had it rebroken and set with a plate. I've had multiple surgeries on my left hand and arm, only one little plate left in the wrist.

I'm always in pain. Much worse if the weather is changing or if I'm too active/not active enough or if I'm cold or sick. Basically, most things make it worse, very few things make it better. I KNOW I'll have less pain when I'm stronger but it's so hard to move sometimes. It's been over 7 years but there's still hope. I haven't plateaued, I just lose muscle mass quickly during flare-ups.

Replies

• OneRatGirl
    OneRatGirl Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Just read your other posts and this, new to the community and thought I'd look for a chronic pain group!

You've had it rough, guess that goes without saying. I was always overweight/obese as a kid, just after I turned 18 I was rear-ended, got minor-moderate whiplash, set off back issues. Combined with depression I didn't move enough when healing, I gave up. Gained a lot of weight in a couple of years. My back ended up very weak. Mild compared to yours, barely a blip, but I know how much a trigger injury messes you up! Have general joint issues, and have herniated a disc a couple of times, now have recurring sciatica.

Working out the right amount of activity is the worst part for me, as it seems to change without warning or any logic to it. Hopefully you can rebuild muscle, and keep healing - I'm assuming healing fully from that much damage takes a long time and a lot of recovery. Do you have a physiotherapist or anything?
  • akielroki
    akielroki Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Try not to compare your situation to others too much. Pain is pain and yours is just as valid as mine.
    I used to go to physio in the first couple of years but I'm severely cyclothymic (rapid cycling bipolar) and my attendance became too erratic. They kicked me out, claiming I plateaued, which is far from the truth because I'm still making progress to this day. It's been too long for insurance to cover costs and SAID, the disability program in Saskatchewan, doesn't even cover cost of living. I'm very lucky to live with my best friend who buys food and helps with some of my daily tasks and chores, especially during the worst flare-ups where I'm basically bedridden.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Goodness! I’m sorry to be so late to this post!! Julie, you’re lucky to be alive!! Wow! I’m an RN and your X-rays look so scary. The potential for internal damage from all of those broken bones was so amazing!!! I don’t know how you wouldn’t hurt every day!! I’m amazed at what you went through!

You don’t sound bitter, or angry at the world about it, which is inspiring to say the least!! I hope I can play a small part in your journey with MFP!

Happy Sunday to you!!
  • OneRatGirl
    OneRatGirl Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    That's true, I'm bad for comparing my pain!

I've struggled with attendance at things due to depression, I understand the issues with missed appointments, but they're not always very understanding of those whose mental or physical health makes attending difficult.

Glad you have a good friend to help!
  • melmerritt33
    melmerritt33 Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Wow, you’ve been through a lot, your progress is amazing considering what you’ve been through.
  • genki90
    genki90 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hey girl, this is so messed up. But I'm glad you got out of that car alive. You're really a hero for going through such hardships. Good luck with your progress and stay strong!