Lifestyle change

Options
akielroki
akielroki Posts: 29 Member
A year ago I made the choice to switch to whole foods plant based eating. It has decreased my chronic pain immensely. I was even able to start physio again after years of being unable to progress. I can now do a full squat without support, something I thought was impossible. I'm not perfect and occasionally eat refined foods but completely stay away from animal products. Anytime I stray too much my pain returns so this will be a permanent lifestyle change for me. If you have chronic pain you should give whole foods plant based eating a shot for a few months. It's like night and day, I'm so much more functional.
Note: I still have chronic pain, this isn't a magic cure, it just decreased the pain significantly.

Replies

• genki90
    genki90 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'd like to try changing my diet to reduce inflammation! I'm not sure what works for me though, since my stomach gets easily upset in so many different ways 🤔
  • melmerritt33
    melmerritt33 Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Hi @genki90 I think it’s going to be a matter of trying different things as everyone seems to react differently. Lots of people find plant based really helpful but for other people like me it makes things worse. Some people find a carnivore diet helps them enormously. Most people find a balance somewhere in between. I think the key in most of the people having success is to limit sugar and ready made meals if possible.

I have stomach problems too and find that too many plants cause me discomfort and even pain. I also found out that grains hugely impact my Fibromyalgia so I’ve completely cut them out of my diet, I no longer even eat them as occasional treats like I used to. This had a massive impact for me. No more birthday cake for me! I’ve tried carnivore five times and for me it just leads to an energy crash every time, so I’m now trying a mostly meat based diet with limited veg and occasional fruit.
  • genki90
    genki90 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    @melmerritt33 thank you for your reply.
    I see your point and it makes sense. Even for people with similar medical conditions, their bodies may react completely different to the same type of food.

I'll probably try an elimination diet in order to have a clear picture of what my own body can tolerate. I think it's the best way even though it does take a lot of commitment!