Anti-inflammatory diet

Options
Linnell63
Linnell63 Posts: 9 Member
I started going to a new doctor last week because my former doctor always related my pain to my weight. I was sick of being fat shamed and stopped talking about my pain to avoid it. So, this new doctor is big into integrative medicine and suggested making small changes to my diet over time to create a more anti-inflammatory diet to help ease the pain. One of the diets that is anti-inflammatory is the Mediterranean Diet. Has anyone been on that or made a change to that type of lifestyle? Has it helped with your pain? I'm finding new foods and a lot of new veggies. I hope it's as good a change as they say.

Replies

• wyattjenniferl97
    wyattjenniferl97 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have RA and Fibromyalgia. Neither of them are responsive to diet. No matter what I eat I am still in pain. I know someone with RA who did the elimination diet at the same time as me. She has a very short list of foods she can eat, but she is in full remission with no pain as long as she sticks to her list.

Most people fall somewhere in between. The only way to find out if will work for you is to try it and see. Keep a pain and food diary and see if you can identify foods that increase or decrease your pain levels.
    I hope it works for you.
  • akielroki
    akielroki Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I find eating a mostly whole foods plant based diet has helped decrease my inflammation.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia, cervical dystonia, and suffer with migraines. I was diagnosed with fibro in 1999 and have had the migraines since the mid 1980s (when I was a teenager!). The cervical dystonia was the result of a whiplash injury from a car wreck in 1997.

In 2015 I began eating a Ketogenic diet and saw a great improvement in the pain of all of these disorders. They were not cured but improved, definitely. I’d been unable to work for ten years prior to then and I was able to return to work on a part time basis. Keto reduces inflammation throughout the body which leads to improvements in many disorders. It’s prescribes by some neurologists for children with seizure disorders too.

It facilitated the loss of 65 pounds too, without being hungry. That’s another wonderful thing about it!! You don’t feel like your starving!
  • iqbalkaurthin
    iqbalkaurthin Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I started alternative treatment (Ayurveda) for Fibromyalgia which is very diey focused. Eliminating wheat, corn and potatoes has helped bringing pain down significantly. Diet does play a big role for me - I don’t eat packaged food as much as possible. I also don’t eat stale food as much as possible. I am not pain free but I am able to do run, hike, swim.
  • genki90
    genki90 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Greetings from Greece! Mediterranean diet can be great and very well balanced, so go for it if you enjoy the foods. But as someone mentioned earlier, it's ideal to find what type of foods work for your own body. An elimination diet is a great way to start, but only go for it if you can stay persistent all the way through, otherwise it's a waste of time.