WEEK FOUR - Homestretch "I Will" March 22 - 31, 2021 🌷 🌷

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
edited March 2021 in Social Groups
Hi Everyone!

Let’s continue to rally ourselves and choose another *small* habit for our Week 4 challenge! Let's finish March strong!

Rather than setting an β€œI Will” for the month, let’s set a weekly β€œI Will.” The first 3 weeks have had great results. Yes, the normal hills & valleys happen, but today gives us an opportunity to recommit or start AFRESH!

Let’s keep the ball rolling & β€œdedicate ourselves to self-improvement” at least a little each week. We are all getting older, but we can also get BETTER!

Let’s give it a try!!
🌸Maddie & 🌼Denise
@MadisonMolly2017 & @themedalist

3sn25d3ndr8a.jpg
(Photo by Christine Siracusa on Unsplash)

Newcomers! Welcome! We are glad you are here!

🌸 For information on achieving your goals through tiny habit changes, please Google β€œBF Fogg.” He has some very short talks < 3 minutes and longer interviews.

🌼The bottom line, habits trump motivation. Tiny habits give us confidence in our ability to be successful in changing our behavior, which leads to more tiny habits, which then leads to success.

🌺The book Atomic Habits by James Clear has been helpful for many members. He also has a free (short) email he sends out every Thursday that ALWAYS has something I find very wise/insightful!

🌼 You might frame your goal along these lines:

1. My goal for this month (This WEEK, I will..."
2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal
3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit
4. How often will you do your new habit (daily is best if possible)
5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? (Small positive feedbacks reinforce the habit you are trying to build.) An arm pump, saying β€œyou did it! To yourself, stickers, hugging yourself...
6. What help would you like from us?
7. What does success look like to you at the end of this WEEK?

Optional:

Short form for tiny habits:
AFTER I ________________________
I WILL __________________________

Examples:
After I brush my teeth, I will floss one tooth.

After I drink my afternoon coffee, I will put on my walking shoes.

After I put away my breakfast dishes, I will prep 3 servings of vegetables for the day.

After I clean up after dinner, I will plan tomorrow’s dinner & move necessary items from freezer to refrigerator.

After I weigh myself in the morning, I will drink 2 cups of refreshing, cool water.

After I start my coffee brewing, I will stand on each leg for 30 seconds.

You get the idea!

🌺What can I do today (and this week) that will make my Future Self proud?

TRACKERS can HELP establish your new habits. Some of us do these on paper (even coloring them as an additional reward), and some use fun emoticons πŸŽ‰β€οΈπŸŽ in their posts to track.

Here’s a site with a bunch of paper trackers.
https://thepetiteplanner.com/21-free-printable-habit-trackers/

There also seem to be quite a few free apps for phones that will help you track your habits.

Of course, you don’t need to use any tracking system.

πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ
Β«1

Replies

• texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,658 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    @themedalist thank you for starting us on Week Four. As always, you have another lovely picture to make our 'I Will' post not only full of good information, but beautiful to look at as well πŸ˜ŠπŸ’—!

Because I have noticed lately that have begun to put off washing the dishes until the next day that...

1. My goal for this WEEK will be to... wash the dishes and tidy the kitchen every evening again.
    2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal: Immediately after supper I will begin to rinse the dishes and then put hot soapy water into the sink.
    3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit: Bringing my dishes to the sink after I have finished eating.
    4. How often will I do my habit: Daily
    5. What reward will you give yourself for doing your habit? Seeing a tidy kitchen early in the morning!
    6. What help would you like from us? Encouragement πŸ‘
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of this WEEK? I will have revived my previously established habit of more often than not having a tidy kitchen in the morning.

PS: After supper I will start washing dishes right away instead of allowing myself to be distracted by other things. I will also get back to being more intentional about washing up the (mostly few) dishes on the counter in the later afternoon. Recently I've been slacking in doing that also. And that really has been such small thing for me to do that makes it feel much easier to begin washing dishes after supper.

🀠🌺
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,797 Member
    Options
    Gosh week 4 got here and I have no idea what to do. OK - eating Oatmeal for breakfast today so maybe I will do that for this week Pretty simple and a good healthy thing to do. ;)
    Monday 22 Mar - check!
  • angelic843
    angelic843 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

I am a little late to the party because it has been a hectic start to my week….

I am an elementary music teacher. One of my 3rd grade classes migrated from virtual to in-person at the start of this week and I’ve been busy getting everything set up and ready to go for them.

Last week was pretty successful, but I didn’t track my focus habit…

I am currently tracking H2O, sleep, and caloric intake in my paper planner.
    I earned most of my stickers for last week…missed one sleep, one water, and went over my calories twice.

My focus last week was tracking BEFORE I eat. I’d say I was 85% successful.
    This week I am going to continue focusing on that habit and track that habit in here.

Eat BEFORE I bite - all meals and snacks!

Monday, March 22nd - Check B)
  • texasgardnr
    Options
    @SummerSkier eating Oatmeal πŸ₯£ is always a good habit to reinforce! I'm also keeping my oatmeal habit πŸ˜‹ going!

@angelic843 your class migrating from virtual to in-person learning is a big change for you to be undertaking. Continuing to focus on your previous habits and tracking them sounds like a good way to keep the momentum of your current habits while you are in this transition week at school. Thank you for being a teacher, especially during these times πŸ’—πŸŒΌ.

My goal for this WEEK will be to... wash the dishes and tidy the kitchen every evening again.

March 21 ❌ dishes in the sink and on the counter is what inspired this goal πŸ˜‰.
    March 21 βœ…
    March 21 βœ…

🀠🌺
  • texasgardnr
    Options
    My goal for this WEEK will be to... wash the dishes and tidy the kitchen every evening again.

March 21 ❌ dishes in the sink and on the counter is what inspired this goal πŸ˜‰.
    March 22 βœ…
    March 23 βœ…
    March 24 βœ…

🀠🌺
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    HI! I just realized I responded to posts from Week 3! Am I out of the loop or WHAT!?!?
    @texasgardnr How's your tidying the kitchen coming along? You have a streak going :)

I was pondering on rewards last week and have hit on one that I hope will help. I enjoy riding my bike but find it incredibly boring unless I am distracted. I was using my iPad but I had to hold it the whole time so... I found a great, cheap, small Smart TV to put in my basement. That way I can watch a 30 minute Netflix show or boxing youtube video while I work out. That should be an immediate reward for going downstairs. The TV works and has great sound, I just have to figure out the best place to put it and find an extension cord. If I buy an antenna, I should be able to watch my 30 minute word program at 9:00 every morning. 9:00 will be the cue, biking will be the response, enjoyable TV time will be the reward. No excuses!
  • texasgardnr
    Options
    @nebslp I am doing great keeping the kitchen tidy again! Thank you for checking up on me.
    That is an awesome reward for you and sure helps in wanting to exercise! I'm excited for you! I do the same thing for the same reason πŸ˜πŸ˜….
    My rebounder and Gazelle are where I can watch the TV also. We have an older TV so using the Roku devise allows me to stream programs on apps like Netflix or YouTube etc. We also have an antenna if I want to watch my court shows on air TV if I exercise later in the day for some reason. We cut the cable TV several years ago and we don't miss it having the Roku and antenna.

My goal for week 4.5 will be to... wash the dishes and tidy the kitchen every evening again.

March 22 βœ…
    March 23 βœ…
    March 24 βœ…
    March 25 βœ…
    March 26 βœ…
    March 27 βœ…

🀠🌺
  • themedalist
    Options
    nebslp wrote: Β»
    HI! I just realized I responded to posts from Week 3! Am I out of the loop or WHAT!?!?
    @texasgardnr How's your tidying the kitchen coming along? You have a streak going :)

I was pondering on rewards last week and have hit on one that I hope will help. I enjoy riding my bike but find it incredibly boring unless I am distracted. I was using my iPad but I had to hold it the whole time so... I found a great, cheap, small Smart TV to put in my basement. That way I can watch a 30 minute Netflix show or boxing youtube video while I work out. That should be an immediate reward for going downstairs. The TV works and has great sound, I just have to figure out the best place to put it and find an extension cord. If I buy an antenna, I should be able to watch my 30 minute word program at 9:00 every morning. 9:00 will be the cue, biking will be the response, enjoyable TV time will be the reward. No excuses!

What a great reward, @nebslp! Sounds like you’ve found the perfect reward for you! Rewards are a very personal thing. What motivates one person can be very different from another person. One of the motivators that I have to make sure that I walk the equivalent of 3 miles every day is so that I can have potatoes whenever I want them. :)

Sometimes you only need an extrinsic reward for a while until the intrinsic rewards (Like feeling better and having more energy) kick in and they become reward enough.
  • themedalist
    Options
    @nebslp I am doing great keeping the kitchen tidy again! Thank you for checking up on me.
    That is an awesome reward for you and sure helps in wanting to exercise! I'm excited for you! I do the same thing for the same reason πŸ˜πŸ˜….
    My rebounder and Gazelle are where I can watch the TV also. We have an older TV so using the Roku devise allows me to stream programs on apps like Netflix or YouTube etc. We also have an antenna if I want to watch my court shows on air TV if I exercise later in the day for some reason. We cut the cable TV several years ago and we don't miss it having the Roku and antenna.

My goal for week 4.5 will be to... wash the dishes and tidy the kitchen every evening again.

March 22 βœ…
    March 23 βœ…
    March 24 βœ…
    March 25 βœ…
    March 26 βœ…
    March 27 βœ…

🀠🌺

Great job on the kitchen cleanup, @texasgardnr!
  • themedalist
    edited March 2021
    Options
    To @SummerSkier and @nebslp and anyone else who is curious, we will be returning to a monthly challenge starting April 1. It’s also easier for @MadisonMolly2017 and I to manage. There certainly are merits to a weekly challenge for all the reasons Maddie identified, so I’m glad we tried this out. Look for the April challenge in a couple of days!
  • angelic843
    angelic843 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Hi Y'all!

I am so excited to get to Wednesday and weigh-in. As many of you may have read...I decided to ONLY weigh-in on the last day of the month; to keep to focus on the healthy habits and not so much on the scale.

I've been tracking sleep, water consumption, and calories on a habit tracker I made.

Although I have missed some here and there, I feel like it has been a pretty successful month.

So I am REALLY looking forward to seeing how those efforts might have paid off on the scale.

Angela

• themedalist
    Options
    I really like your plan to only weigh-in once a month. Our weight fluctuates a lot day to day. A monthly weigh- in irons out those smaller fluctuations.

"Goals are good for setting a direction, but systems are best for making progress."--James Clear.

You've got some great systems in place, @angelic843. The results will follow.
  • nebslp
    Options
    This week I WILL ride my bike every day. Time and length of time TBD.
  • texasgardnr
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 & @themedalist it was a good experiment having the weekly goals this month. I am also glad that we tried it. For me it will also be good to go back to the group monthly goal. I can always make my own personal mini weekly goals anytime it seems right to do so.

March 22 βœ…
    March 23 βœ…
    March 24 βœ…
    March 25 βœ…
    March 26 βœ…
    March 27 βœ…
    March 28 βœ…

🀠🌺
  • themedalist
    Options
    @texasgardnr, I also have found inspiration to make changes when something didn’t happen and should have. :)
  • nebslp
    Options
    March 29. 30 minute bike ride. I’ve had my old relic for 15 years and this was the longest ride I’ve ever hadπŸŽ‰. Love my TV! My husband put it in a shelf and connected the power source for me😍
  • texasgardnr
    Options
    @nebslp Good for you for doing your longest ride ever on your 🚲 bike!! So happy for you that the TV is now all set up and working for you!

March 22 βœ…
    March 23 βœ…
    March 24 βœ…
    March 25 βœ…
    March 26 βœ…
    March 27 βœ…
    March 28 βœ…
    March 29 βœ…

🀠🌺
  • texasgardnr
    Options

March 22 βœ…
    March 23 βœ…
    March 24 βœ…
    March 25 βœ…
    March 26 βœ…
    March 27 βœ…
    March 28 βœ…
    March 29 βœ…
    March 30 βœ…

🀠🌺
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,987 Member
    Options

March 22 βœ…
    March 23 βœ…
    March 24 βœ…
    March 25 βœ…
    March 26 βœ…
    March 27 βœ…
    March 28 βœ…
    March 29 βœ…
    March 30 βœ…

🀠🌺

Looking good!
  • MadisonMolly2017