Going GF & DF free after being diagnosed with Hashimoto's

Options
I'm on day # 3 of being gluten and dairy free. Has anyone that has been diagnosed with Hashimoto's had improvement and or success going GF & DF?

Replies

• got2bteri
    Options
    I have been on thyroid meds for a little over 4 yrs and lately have had chest pains and a really hard time breathing. I
    looked up Hashimotos and I have had all the sypmtoms except swelling of the legs. My Dr put me on anxiety meds.
    : [ I took half of one and it didnt do much if anything... So, I go the 7th of march for labs, Im telling them to test me for this!
  • barnettsa
    barnettsa Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I had a total thyroidectomy a few years ago so I can't comment on if it helps improve hashimoto's symptoms. I have seen success with GF/CF in my weight loss hypothyroid symptoms like sluggishness, fog brain, the amount of energy I have and the arthritic pain in my left knee has pretty much gone away and that amazes me. I do wonder if GF/CF diet could have helped my hypothyroid symptoms prior the military dr's just taking my thyroid out.
  • smvarnam08
    smvarnam08 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed in December 2011 with Hashimoto's and have been trying to reduce the gluten and dairy in my diet because of it. How has it been going for you?
  • martaducak1
    martaducak1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have been diagnosed with Hashimoto disease but my TSH count is right on the border or being over so my doctor said she wants to wait for it to go above before putting me on hormone replacement therapy. Therefore I'm "stuck" with the symptoms. I'm a vegetarian and its tough enough on my body already. Has anyone who has Hashimoto gone gluten/dairy free and found a big change? I'm willing to try it. It will be very hard though :(
  • tannity
    tannity Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad to find this group. I just joined MFP today. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's almost three years ago, am taking Westhroid, a natural thyroid medication, and have been gluten/dairy free for over a year. I feel sooooo much better and have lost 20 pounds so far. As you know, Hashimoto's can be such a crazy roller coaster with all kinds of side effects.

I'd love to have a friend here!

Take good care of yourselves,

Tannity
  • ShazzaLan
    ShazzaLan Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi there Tannity,

I have had Hashimotos for 7 years.

Going gluten free reduced my antibodies astonishingly! From 15,800 to 271 in 2 years.

I now have a few other problems and have been recommended to go sugar, grain and starch free. Also maybe dairy free if I need too.

It's quite a learning curve and a journey ;)
  • trinalafleur90
    trinalafleur90 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been gluten and dairy free for a few years and it has made considerable improvements in my health. I still have more changes to make as I need to adopt a paleo lifestyle because I know that sugar and grains are still a problem for me.