What odd or interesting things have you seen or found during your rides?

Options
2»

Replies

• Slainte831
    Slainte831 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    During my ride a couple of days ago, I was chugging up a hill when, not 20 meters away a hawk swooped right in front of me. Beautiful.
  • m1xm0d3
    m1xm0d3 Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    Slainte831 wrote: »
    During my ride a couple of days ago, I was chugging up a hill when, not 20 meters away a hawk swooped right in front of me. Beautiful.

Nice! On Saturday morning I saw an eagle land up high in a tree with a small fish in it's talons. The sun was shining right on it which is the only reason I was able to detect it by moving.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Most unusual thing I've seen while out cycling was a full size triceratops in a front garden in leafy Surrey.

t9c4a3r05qp0.jpg
  • mrron2u
    mrron2u Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    mstripes wrote: »
    I once found a loaded .45ACP semi-auto pistol in a holster with extra magazine. Had to turn it in to the Sheriff due to it being listed in an active case.
    Yikes! I think you win!

I found a Tag Heuer watch a while back. Still haven't found the owner and I've been trying for 6 months!

• allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I have many....probably the most memorable that made me chuckle pretty hard was ONE shiny red patent leather shoe, about the size a toddler or a 4y/o girl would wear. Brand new. On the shoulder. And not 1/2-mi to a mile down the same road, was the other shoe. Hee hee hee.

It was right around the Holidays, which made me think the little girl (in the backseat of the car) was saying "Mommy my shoes pinch my toes!" And the Mommy saying "No, they don't." And the little girl ripping them off her feet, tossing one out. Then ripping the other off, tossing it out. And grinning cuz her shoes didn't pinch her toes anymore.......lol....(and the look of horror as the Mom realized her precious daughter didn't have shoes for the family portrait!)
  • mommyknits
    mommyknits Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    This is not so much what I saw but the whole story around it..... A couple of years ago, I took my boy (about 7 then) on a little ride - just in our neighbourhood. We went on this path that runs parallel to a major road and fields on the other side. Well, the path was filled with grasshoppers. We were about halfway down the path, when he spotted the grasshoppers and that was the end of it. He was so terrified of the little bouncy things that he stopped dead in his tracks, got off his bike and wasn't going to go forward nor back. It took a huge amount of coaxing to get him past those little grasshoppers. Seemed like the longest bike ride ever. He hasn't come on that route with me ever since.
  • Slainte831
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Most unusual thing I've seen while out cycling was a full size triceratops in a front garden in leafy Surrey.

t9c4a3r05qp0.jpg

I see those all the time. They are quite common in southern Ontario. ;)
  • brocantrs
    brocantrs Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Don't let them scare you, they are vegetarians.
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,194 Member
    Options
    tjsz19d6mz9z.jpg

How about a bear? I think the .45 pistol wins, but thought it was worth a mention. :smile:
  • allaboutthecake
    Options
    mommyknits wrote: »
    This is not so much what I saw but the whole story around it..... A couple of years ago, I took my boy (about 7 then) on a little ride - just in our neighbourhood. We went on this path that runs parallel to a major road and fields on the other side. Well, the path was filled with grasshoppers. We were about halfway down the path, when he spotted the grasshoppers and that was the end of it. He was so terrified of the little bouncy things that he stopped dead in his tracks, got off his bike and wasn't going to go forward nor back. It took a huge amount of coaxing to get him past those little grasshoppers. Seemed like the longest bike ride ever. He hasn't come on that route with me ever since.

Awe poor li'l tyke. :) Tell him that's what the chickens snack on for their lunch!
  • tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Once on a ride through the woods, my friend and I interrupted a couple in the throes of passion. Maybe not strange, but certainly funny and unusual to us and embarrassing for them.
  • Slainte831
    Options
    Aww! Love the bear!
  • brocantrs
    brocantrs Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Had a red fox cross the road in front of me a couple
    Let of days ago.
  • johnmtrendler
    johnmtrendler Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    on this morning's ride I passed a deer, they just watched me suspiciously as I pedaled up the road
  • MrBubbleWrap
    MrBubbleWrap Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've seen a pink butt plug on the side of the highway going up The Mogollon Rim in Arizona. Past by a ranch in Southern New Mexico that had the McDonald's arches... The family's name was McDonald.
  • Travelerraven
    Travelerraven Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    4ibpn67lfzqg.jpg
    n8ah1owb0ozp.jpg
    I have seen Rhino, Giraffe, Wildebeest Baboons cheetahs all sorts of wild animals on the trails. Riding at night we have seen leopards and other night life.
    Riding in Namibia and other African countries is interesting.
  • sheclimber
    sheclimber Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was a pair of tighty whites on the side of the road though more of a pink shade. Asked my husband who was behind me if they were his. He denied it.
  • AsthmaticHippo
    AsthmaticHippo Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Came round a corner in southern Sweden and found an Ostrich farm
  • allaboutthecake
    Options
    Can we revive this thread? Its funny.

Not too long ago, turned in a dozen-ish ID cards for the local jail here. Found them in a back lot type of strip-mall. The Sheriff said they were all Wanted Felons, none in the jail (yet), and wanted the whole story of where I found em. Had their photos on them, names, dob, the whole bit. Was pretty interesting story the cops gave me.