Extra calories credited for steps from Fitbit

Options
lkn42
lkn42 Posts: 37 Member
Hello. I've been using MyFitnessPal consistently for 15 days now. My Fitbit is set to automatically sync and I am not having difficulties with that. My question is that while the amount of steps seem accurate, MFP seems to give me an awful lot of extra calories in exchange for not so many steps.
Example: My daily calorie goal is 1460. So far today I've eaten 536 calories. I've taken only 1550 steps today(desk job) and MFP has given me 509 extra calories. I'm thinking this can't be right. Maybe I did something wrong in my set up(?). I'm afraid to consume the extra credited calories because I'm thinking that can't be right. I read through a couple pages of older posts and didn't see one similar to this...has anyone had a similar concern?

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Yes - that would mostly likely be wrong.

Even if you selected Sedentary/Not Very Active on MFP, people usually need around 4k steps to give enough distance (it's distance, not steps) to get some extra calories above sedentary level.

You need to look on your Exercise Diary page and tap and hold on the MFP created Fitbit Adjustment line.
    Steps is merely displayed there to display somewhere.
    Like glasses of water on your food diary - even though water has no calories obviously, it's just there.

On the details screen, it'll show what time and number of calories that came from Fitbit - that's what matters.
    Does that indeed about match what Fitbit shows? (Fitbit doesn't send new data until 100 cal higher than last sync, so there may be some difference).

Is your MFP logged meal totals showing up in Fitbit account?
    That proves linked accounts.

Because you can accidentally not link accounts - and merely select Fitbit as a step counter in which case very rough data is estimated by only steps, no distance, no workouts, ect.

Is your time zone correct between accounts and device the apps are running on?
    Stat's the same on both sides, big calorie burn on Fitbit with so few steps could indicate wrong info there.

Oh, just for viewpoint - your daily MFP goal is 1460 ONLY when your activity level exactly matches what you told MFP the level is.
    Which means it rarely will only be 1460, Fitbit will provide figures for MFP to adjust to reality as Fitbit supplies it.

You just want to confirm Fitbit's reality is best estimate.
  • lkn42
    lkn42 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Yes - that would mostly likely be wrong.

Even if you selected Sedentary/Not Very Active on MFP, people usually need around 4k steps to give enough distance (it's distance, not steps) to get some extra calories above sedentary level.

You need to look on your Exercise Diary page and tap and hold on the MFP created Fitbit Adjustment line.
    Steps is merely displayed there to display somewhere.
    Like glasses of water on your food diary - even though water has no calories obviously, it's just there.

On the details screen, it'll show what time and number of calories that came from Fitbit - that's what matters.
    Does that indeed about match what Fitbit shows? (Fitbit doesn't send new data until 100 cal higher than last sync, so there may be some difference).

Is your MFP logged meal totals showing up in Fitbit account?
    That proves linked accounts.

Because you can accidentally not link accounts - and merely select Fitbit as a step counter in which case very rough data is estimated by only steps, no distance, no workouts, ect.

Is your time zone correct between accounts and device the apps are running on?
    Stat's the same on both sides, big calorie burn on Fitbit with so few steps could indicate wrong info there.

Oh, just for viewpoint - your daily MFP goal is 1460 ONLY when your activity level exactly matches what you told MFP the level is.
    Which means it rarely will only be 1460, Fitbit will provide figures for MFP to adjust to reality as Fitbit supplies it.

You just want to confirm Fitbit's reality is best estimate.

Thanks so much. This is very helpful.