Hello from the East Coast!

Options
Sioranth
Sioranth Posts: 306 Member
With the announcement today that SparkPeople will be closing in August, I am on the hunt for a new social fitness/health site with active communities. I'm 46, currently reside in southern Maryland, and enjoy kayaking and trail biking. Pre-covid I used to spend time in the Lehigh Valley in PA as my is in that area. I expect I'll be back up there this summer at some point and hopefully hitting the D&L Trail with my bike and the Lehigh River with my kayak.

I have dogs, cats, a horse, a mule, and chickens. I absolutely hate summer, especially here on the humid east coast. I have an indoor bike and use iFit for strength training and the occasional bike ride depending on what kind of training I'm working on. Right now, I'm doing Garmin's mountain biking program to try to get back in shape a bit.

In 2010-2011, I lost 100 pounds in 15 months and was in the best shape of my life. It was awesome! Then life happened and I gained it all back and then some. I've been steadily losing weight and making fitness and health gains since March, and I don't want to lose any momentum with Spark closing its doors.

Relevance to this community? I have a panromantic trans daughter (14), a grey-ace nonbinary child (22), and I am grey-ace (demi-pan). Crossing my fingers I can find some friends! I don't bite unless asked. :)

Replies

• supercpa999
    supercpa999 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Welcome friend ... I hope you find this group social and engaging:)
  • pabmac
    pabmac Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hi, welcome :)
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!! I'm currently near Richmond, VA but have a vacation house (moving to full time residence next year) on Chincoteague Island, which is only a few miles from the MD border along the eastern shore...so, we're practically neighbors!!! We just have 2 cats now, in the past we have done the farm thing because I'm in a rural area so we have raised goats, chickens, ducks, and the occasional pig for food...as well as always having cats and dogs for pets...I like animals, but looking to retire in 9 years, and planning to travel, so pets are not in the plans until we are ready to be home more regularly.
  • Sioranth
    Sioranth Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome, everyone! @tcunbeliever - I'm about 2 hours from Richmond and I live southeast of DC, about 15 miles as the crow flies. Chincoteague is beautiful! I moved here from N. Dakota and I'm not a huge fan of the East Coast, but I love being in the Chesapeake estuary. I'm downsizing on my animals as well since I'm finishing my degree in archaeology and I'd like to be able to travel for work.
  • flare14
    flare14 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for adding me! I’m about 15 miles west of Philadelphia. Trying to find a group of friends who will share tips on staying focused, and maybe share a high protein recipe every now and then :)
  • LaurensE1
    LaurensE1 Posts: 196 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Welcome and good luck!