Introduction time

Just share a little about yourself. It can be about anything, from new movie choices to your weight loss or gain journey. Anything that makes you comfortable.

Replies

• aliru108
    aliru108 Posts: 94 Member
    edited July 2021
    Hello!
    My name is Ana.
    My highest weight was 175 lbs (I'm 5'2") 6 years ago. I joined MFP a few years back because I was not able to loose the weight on my own.
    I have not been skinny since I was 7 years old so I don't have great expectations... Anyway... By being aware of what I ate I was able to achieve a healthier weight (132 lbs) and I kept the weight off for years.
    Unfortunately, Corona times have been tough on me (in many ways) and even though I noticed my pants were getting tight at the start of May, I chose to not pay attention telling myself: "It must be water retention, I mean... My pants fit loose at the start of April!" In June, I'd make excuses, like... "It's been hard times, it's okay, you deserve it!"
    Long story short, I lived in denial for a while but on June 16th on a visit to the doctor I was forced to face reality. I was so disappointed when I learned that I weighed 155 lb! Still then I said to myself: "Its probably not that bad! I had a big dinner and I'm constipated so it's probably not that bad."
    But no, my friends. I can't blame my intestines or big meals no more. I am back to the MFP community to work on accountability.
    Honestly, I am so disappointed in myself. So discouraged to know that it's going to take many months for me to lose all the weight that I gained in just 2 months, because...
    Here's the deal. I can't just starve myself a few months and loose the weight. Honestly, even though I know it's not healthy, I'd probably give it a try. However, do you know what happens to me after 7 days of a very restrictive diet? Yes. You guessed right. The BIG BINGE. Followed by guilt, weight gain and loss of motivation. So, I'm not going to set myself up for failure. The plan is to go slow and steady, even if it takes me a year.
    My main motivation is to be healthy and not huff and puff every time I go up hill. Another very important motivator for me is to get back to a healthy weight before my 40th birthday!
    My ultimate goal is to weigh 121 lbs and be very healthy.
    Looking forward to meeting others struggling with trying to achieve a weight goal while adulting.
    PS. Sorry for the long post. I just had to get it out of my chest.
  • BecomingLizzieB88
    BecomingLizzieB88 Posts: 11 Member
    Don't apologize and thank you for sharing. I understand your frustrations because I've been there too. Sadly, I've never been skinny and dealt with weight fluctuation and eating disorders for most of my life (in my adolescence my food aversion was bad to the point I dropped weight too fast in a month). However, I know you will accomplish you weight goal. We got this.

So hopefully others join and share. This is the perfect place to just let it all out.
  • aliru108
    edited July 2021
    Yes! I actually felt better last night after I wrote it down.
    I am finding that planning my meals at least one day ahead helps me achieve my calorie intake goal and that in turn keeps me motivated (especially if I plan on having yummy food).

Would you mind sharing about your goals?

PS. How come I see people reporting to loose 1lb a day and I've only lost half a pound in 10 days? I've been good, I promise! I catched my inner dialogue assuring me that it must be that I gained muscle from the exercise. Ugh!! The struggle!! 🤣
  • tlarriola72
    tlarriola72 Posts: 2 Member
    HI...
    My name is Tara....I am 49 years old and was diagnosed with Diabetes a month ago. A lot of my friends told me to try MyFitnessPal to help me control my food intake - I used this app a long time ago but it had been years.
    I have been back on for 20 straight days now and have already lost 13 pounds. I really can't always believe the difference in what I eat when I have to write it down.
    I didn't start struggling with my weight until after I had my third child at the age of 25. But for the last 24 years my weight has fluctuated with me being at my biggest this year at 352lbs. I could lie and say I don't know where it all came from - but it has been a long journey of pain and happiness and with that pain came weight.
    My goal is to lose the weight - but I have to be realistic I may never see 120 again (my pre 3rd baby weight). I would like to get off the medication and reverse the Diabetes diagnosis. I would like to be able to run and go with my three grandchildren as they get older. I would love to be around to enjoy my life and be part of it not just sitting on the sidelines.
    I look forward to being part of a community of supporters who can understand my frustration and my fears.
    Have a wonderful day everyone.
    PS: I meal plan for the week. My husband is an over-the-road truck driver so when he comes home on Friday night - we get started. On Sunday we cook and portion out our meals for the week and he takes his with him in the truck. We are on this journey together but being in the house by myself takes it toll.
  • aliru108
    Hi Tara!
    I'm so excited for your achievements so far. I am also glad you have your husband's support, even if he is away.
    I understand what you mean with being home by yourself. I am a widow and my daughter is off to college so I've noticed that after work I just want to lie down and the weekends I just want to rest so I have to push myself to exercise in the morning, which means getting up early.
    Definitely, being home alone plus corona are not a good combination 😅
    I've been thinking that I should join an art class or a group or something to get me out of my cave. We'll see...
    PS. So, you are one of them people who can loose a pound a day, huh? A little jealous here!
  • tlarriola72
    tlarriola72 Posts: 2 Member
    I always loose at least a pound or more a day for the first couple of weeks then I plateau. We will see what the scale looks like on Monday. :)
  • BecomingLizzieB88
    BecomingLizzieB88 Posts: 11 Member
    @tlarriola72 I totally understand. I have been fluctuating in my weight, but I continue to stay forever hopeful. ☺️☺️☺️