The Local Watering Hole

Options
TwistedSassette
TwistedSassette Posts: 8,667 Member
A place for a general chat, down at the local watering hole!

Tell us how your day went, what you have coming up to look forward to (or what challenges you'll be facing) and just generally talk about anything!

Replies

• anna140813
    anna140813 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Pour me some shots . I am a customer service manager for woolworths. That should sum up how my days have been going recently 😂
  • TwistedSassette
    Options
    Oh dear! I do not envy you right now!
    I'm at home sick with a cold this week. My workplace has a covid rule where we can't be on site if we have any cold/flu symptoms so that kinda sucks. I can work from home, but it's a quiet week so I'm taking a few days to get better. Going for a covid test this arvo just in case, but there are no cases within hundreds of kilometres so I doubt it's positive!
  • TwistedSassette
    Options
    Started feeling a bit overwhelmed lately - hubby has just started up a yard maintenance business, he is the stay at home parent in our family so with him being more busy, it means I am doing a lot more housework now. Feeling the pressure! I had to drop out of some of the groups I was in here on MFP because it was just feeling like a chore to keep up to date with them and I wasn't really getting any benefit! I am still in some of the challenges that I find helpful for me, but they don't need daily updates so they're better for me!
    Other than that, I'm going back to basics - tracking, daily intentional activity, and maintaining a calorie deficit! My three "golden rules"!
    Anyone else feeling the pressure with lockdowns and things how they are at the moment? I'm working from home and finding it a little hard to switch off.
  • stortina
    stortina Posts: 37 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Agree about the groups becoming a chore - I felt like that too so I have also backed off. I have thousands of notifications, that are all just going to stay there!

Lockdown here in Sydney has been exhausting. We're allowed out for 1 hour/day for exercise only, and are not allowed to travel more than 5kms. Today and yesterday it's raining so haven't even left the house :( I got AZ1 a few weeks ago, got another month to go before #2. My partner is over 40 was eligible for Pfizer, getting #2 on Friday. Hopefully we can get back to normal ASAP!!!

Working from home has been mind numbing. We are a small team so we are trying to keep in touch with each other on Teams by video calling instead of typing to one another, but it definitely isn't the same as being able to yell out across the office!!

I had a bit of a breakdown the other day - one of our bosses is a Covid skeptic and he has been breaching orders and going into the office daily. He's been alone for the most part, and isn't going anywhere else, so we've left him to his own devices; but he carried on an absolute treat at me the other day that I should come in also! Saying that we are allowed to come in because we are essential workers (we aren't) and that we're all just carrying on to skive out of working!!! It made me so cranky! I have been working harder than ever, longer hours, etc. and he just undermined all that effort in one 20 minute conversation. I was not a happy chappy!! Spent the rest of the day in tears, comiserating with my colleagues. Got a half-baked apology but I'm still not over it.

Just me and my partner here at home, both WFH, so it's been quiet. Trying to Zoom or Whatsapp video call with friends regularly to keep in touch. Was our anniversary yesterday, so we ordered take away and staged a restaurant on the dining table - I even folded the napkins!! All a bit of fun to try and keep things interesting. Definitely miss being able to eat out at the drop of a hat!!

Hope you aren't feeling too down and out - still so much longer to go, gotta keep optimistic. Are you on a laptop? If so, take it outside for a while and sit in the fresh air if you can. I've been carting mine all over the house. Get up, stretch your back, and set up your office away from the kitchen so you aren't tempted! Way too easy to over indulge when you're sitting too close to the pantry! :)

Are there any daycare options for your little one?
  • TwistedSassette
    Options
    That does sound exhausting, I didn't know you were in one of those "LGAs of concern". We aren't as restricted here (rural NSW) but since we are a small town, access to a lot of goods/services is restricted a lot at the moment. Even our Service NSW centre is closed, so hubby will need to drive to the next town (130km away) to get his trailer registered! Unfortunately, being a small town, daycare options are limited even at the best of times - there is one day care centre and a few people who do family day care. Some of the family day care people have decided to close down until the covid risk passes, so it's even less accessible now! We're lucky that our little one is pretty easy-going, he loves nothing more than being outside pottering around with his dad, so that's helping a lot as he's not under my feet inside all day! And the fact he still has an afternoon nap is great, as hubby can go to start a job when kiddo goes to bed, and by the time kiddo wakes up, I'm about to finish work anyway so it's not too bad there. I guess I'm just used to hubby doing a lot of the daily household tasks (dishes, vacuuming etc.) and now that he's not, I'm struggling to adjust! We'll get settled into a new routine soon I'm sure, it just feels like a lot in the meantime!

Sorry to hear about your boss, that's really *kitten*. I mean, whether he agrees with them or not, the laws say that he MUST require you to work from home if it's reasonably possible! It's not a choice, it's a requirement! And for him as well. Managers like that make me so mad - if he really thinks he can't trust his team to do to the job when he's not looking over their shoulder, then why does he keep that team on?!

Good idea about taking the laptop outside. I might do that this afternoon if it warms up enough - currently 4 degrees here so I think I'll stay inside! If I'm just doing something like emails that don't really need multiple screens that's a great idea :smile:

Thank you for your words of support, I really appreciate it! I'm feeling in a better frame of mind today. Stay safe out there!!
  • stortina
    stortina Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hey sorry for late reply - only looking in 'community' occasionally!! Hope you're feeling better and staying more positive. My boss is a j e r k but that's ok, I'm learning to live with that. He's been alright since then but it's still a bit strained between us. Hope you can stay warm - it's freezing here too, but not as low as 4º - well, maybe in the mornings - but it's a cozy 18º outside, and I'm still cold!!
    Hope you're staying safe with the Dubbo/Wilcannia outbreak
  • TwistedSassette
    Options
    Hope everybody is staying safe and doing well!

I was supposed to start working on site again from today, but managed to get them to see that goes against what the public health orders say at the moment. Not to mention that our entire finance department sits in one shared office so if one of us gets the virus, the entire department will be wiped. They'll have nobody to even pay a bill! Though I later found out that I'm the only one who will be working from home - I guess I'm the only one who kicked up a stink about it. Which is not really fair!

I've been struggling a bit with getting myself back on track, getting really swamped with housework that needs to be done and I'm just not keeping up and not coping at all. Hubby started a yard maintenance business about a month ago, which has picked up really quickly so he's suddenly not able to do all the stuff around the house that he used to. So if I don't do it, it doesn't get done. So it kinda hasn't been getting done! I spent some time yesterday catching up a bit and planning my week out properly - without putting all the things that need doing, just the priorities! I did a proper meal plan up so hopefully that will keep me on track with nutrition. And I sat and really thought about how I want my day to be structured - clearly what I was doing wasn't working so I needed to think about what is important and kind of block out my day so hopefully that helps with some of the anxiety I've been having. I'm feeling a lot better about it all mentally now!
  • TwistedSassette
    Options
    Hi Aussies! I hope that you all had a merry Christmas and you're gearing up for a fantastic new year!!

I'm thinking about starting a little mini challenge in the group in the new year, who would be interested in that? I'm going to start an accountability thread too, so we can help each other to stay on track. Let's do this!!