lower level bathroom...

Options
UncleMac
UncleMac Posts: 13,000 Member
I posted several other pictures of the ongoing renovation of the lower level bathroom on the "here we go" thread. I thought maybe I should dedicate a thread. Today, I put measured, cut and fitted up the decoupling membrane. The next step is to use thinset mortar to stick the membrane to the concrete... then I'm back to tiling again.

Once the tiles are done, I can install the toilet & sink... I might add a storage cabinet on the wall above the toilet.

fhidfg0udrhi.png

Replies

• UncleMac
    Options
    Dry-fitting the tiles around the toilet flange and all that jazz... Tomorrow is mortar day...

wvcsfe1xjm2i.png
  • UncleMac
    edited August 2021
    Options
    42 sq ft of bathroom tile laid. Three small batches of mortar to prevent it from starting to "set up" before it was spread. I like these small spacers much better than the ones I used in the laundry room. In the first picture, you can see the laser level providing the "line" for the first row of tiles.

Tomorrow, I will grout the floor, then I'll start cutting tiles to make baseboards. Each tile is 13 inches so, per tile, I should be able to get three pieces just over 4 inches tall. I bought plastic trim so it should look nice & clean... Once it's done, then a bead of silicon caulk at the transition between floor and baseboard... and floor & shower...

602tw0kwqbzx.png
    o8s2nea5g7iv.png
    4nsda3wvh19y.png
  • UncleMac
    Options
    I cleared off any mortar in the spaces, vacuumed the room, wiped down the tile and then grouted... In the picture, the grout is still wet; it dries to be close to the same sandy colour as the tiles.

I grabbed another box of tiles from Lowe's and cut enough tiles to make edging. I should dry-fit the edging before I start sticking things together, I suppose...

bybi0n2e9abj.png
  • fitlin50
    fitlin50 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    It looks great Wayne. Tile is a lot of work!
  • UncleMac
    Options
    fitlin50 wrote: »
    It looks great Wayne. Tile is a lot of work!
    And much of the work is crawling about on hands & knees... ugh!!
  • UncleMac
    Options
    So far, so good. Next step is grouting the gaps... woot woot...

i27e35nusgbf.png
    uzzary4sy75o.png
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Ta-da!!

qtlh1c4l7ck2.png
    p7pzd89e8374.png
  • UncleMac
    Options
    This picture is from the laundry room, looking at what would normally be hidden behind the drywall...

ai92ksza3awq.png

So I used my torch to de-solder the fitting and pulled it off...

z6ycm74cahm5.png

No idea why the pipe crumbled but I'm glad it did while had things open so fixing will be easy.

uyq9qdi8g5ma.png
  • UncleMac
    Options
    My drain solution in place. I went large with the hole in the drywall because I have large hands and where the black drain junctions to the white drain, the threaded nut is literally lined up with the drywall. Once the drywall is finished in the laundry room, the only access to this drain will be from the bathroom side; I don't want to make that inaccessible.

2prr7hjc389m.png
    zm2nawto9ee9.png
  • UncleMac
    edited August 2021
    Options
    My wife and I spent a couple of hours surfing through the local thrift shops for something artful to hang in the lower level bathroom. Given that most of the bathroom is white or chrome... except the accent wall which is light blue... we were looking for something which accented but made the room pop... and I think we succeeded...

This picture is just over 2 ft wide and it's hanging above the towel rack. Salvation Army for the win!!
    94fpxc7egncp.png

This is around a foot, perhaps a touch less... Value Village for the win!!
    95u2td55gdi9.png
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Pam looked over the bathroom and decided she's going to touch up several places so she marked them with painter's tape. (see the reflection in the mirror) so I took the above pictures trying to avoid the tapes but I forgot to check the reflection.
  • fitlin50
    Options
    It looks great. I bet if feels wonderful to have it done!
  • fitlin50
    Options
    I think you guys should add a little splash of a bright color............maybe a lime green or fuscia. I still like the idea of navy/white towels but I think a bit of a bright color will make it a bit more welcoming. Great job though!
  • UncleMac
    edited August 2021
    Options
    We got a towel rack from IKEA and I'm actually quite impressed by the quality of it. The hooks underneath are actually spares from shower curtain hooks. Oddly enough, the stores don't sell shower curtains or hook sets for 32 inch showers. Since I had them spare and I wanted a place to hang damp towels, things worked out great!!

m2aw8sni44c4.png
  • UncleMac
    Options
    fitlin50 wrote: »
    It looks great. I bet if feels wonderful to have it done!
    It does feel great to have it done. Helps me to maintain motivation to keep renovating!!