Today's harvest

Options
cherie8525
cherie8525 Posts: 109 Member
I get so excited when I get vegetables ready to harvest.
a handful of cherry tomatoes, string beans, cucumbers.. plenty of green peppers if I wanted to make a salad..
we have rain and more rain

Replies

• cherie8525
    Options
    cucumbers are piling up, time to make some pickles. Today I will go down and see what has shown up. .One of my favorite things is getting into the garden after being away from it for a day or two.
    What is is 1 of your favorite things in gardening?
  • cherie8525
    Options
    Yesterday I pulled the veg from two raised bed, Today I well get to two more along with the border flower bed .. After playing with my horse.. LOL if the heat doesn't wipe me out first.. suppose to be in 90s today.. So pasha first, then into the garden
    one of the beds I cleared yesterday had so many crazy invasive jumping/snake worms, it took me hours to go through all the dirt and remove them.. there were so many even the ducks couldn't eat them all. second bed had only 10ish.. difference is we didn't add any new compost to it this spring because I had planted beets and radish.

My tomato are ripening on the vine, I love seeing the color and the taste of a fresh tomato warm from being kissed by the sun.. sun gold cherry tomato are amazing. So full of flavor and sweet.

Tip- harvest tomato in the afternoon after the sun has been on them for hour.. the moisture has decreased which increases flavor.. Pick before watering the beds. Pick any blushing before rain storm.

Have an amazing day! Happy harvesting/ gardening
  • Nipchkin
    Nipchkin Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    We are still getting lots of zucchini, string beans, corn, and tomatoes - the main crops we planted. Started harvesting some spaghetti squash. Acorn squash are coming along nicely but not quite ready to pick. Just picked the first 2 pumpkins that were about half orange. Grandson was thrilled to do that. Hubby has to go over and pick cucumbers at a friend's garden while they are out of town. We didn't get any planted this year, hopefully will next year. Hubby has been doing all the work at the garden plots we rent from the park district. I watch my grandson, which makes it more difficult. Plus they have a gate across the entrance that is locked, and for the past few years they only allow one key (and you have to pay a $25 deposit which you get back when you turn the key in after the season is finished in October). Used to be able to get multiple keys. Hubby usually has the key with him, I don't even know where he keeps it. This year grandson started all day kindergarten, so I actually have time to go there during the day to help, but won't until it cools down a bit. Don't like working in the garden in full sun when it's in the 90s!
  • cherie8525
    Options
    I am jelly of your pumpkins. :) How old is your grandson? my grand-kids use to garden with me, it does add extra work but keeps them very busy and excited about food. Now they have moved almost 2 hr away and I no longer have garden partners. Last year I grew so much winter squash.. I grew them on a trellis. 1t5kt0j4nmiy.jpg
    :D original goal was group photo up top.. well, guess what that photo is missing. all the leaves, which never crossed my mind till my arch was buried in leaves. Pretty funny really.. a ding dong moment for sure.
    Last year I harvested over a 100 winter squash and 20 Hugh pumpkins.. I doubt I will get any this year, lack of sun.
    it is amazing how much the vine will grow once they get a day of sun.
  • fancyqtr
    fancyqtr Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    My big harvest today. Guess I got my 2 heirloom tomatoes reversed. The other plant, with the piggy back tomato, is obviously my Cherokee Purple and I am hoping it has other tomatoes ripen. These are Lemon Boys and I need more of them to ripen, too. This is all my ripe ones except for the piggy back Cherokees and I don't think they are any good. I am not sure when to harvest the cucumber since I tried tonight and it won't give. I also have a very small eggplant that is near ready.
    c9phwoh7szrr.jpg
  • Nipchkin
    Options
    My grandson is 5 1/2. He used to be afraid of every kind of bug, including moths. No longer afraid of moths, but seems to still be afraid of most other bugs. But it seems that when he's at the garden helping, he forgets about the bugs.
  • fancyqtr
    Options
    Last night we had a little rain and it was a cooler day after I had watered the plants. Today I got outside and the cucumber plant was all wilted. I didn't expect that. I watered it again and it perked up. So I might cut the one cucumber off tomorrow. I still don't know how to tell on them.

I also gave my fuscia some more water. It looks terrible and I don't think it will bloom anymore. The pansies and petunias keep coming back, though, as do the marigolds that really looked dead.

I cleaned up all the rest of the limbs from the yard and cleaned up after Annie. Then we enjoyed a couple hours just sitting on the porch back there.
  • cherie8525
    Options
    I haven't figure out how to put pictures here from my phone, which is where my garden photos are.. How do you find groups when your on the phone app? I have been spending most of my time in flower beds.. I love the color of your tomato fancyqtr, how did it taste? I can't resist saving seeds from all of them.. we have been harvesting HUGH slicers. so tasty and juicy, meaty. I will keep trying to get photo up.
    Nipchkin, My grand are scared of spiders, both of there parents are.. once they see one now, they are done in the garden.. sad really.. when there were little they would just move onto a different spot.

yesterday I Found the dreaded squash bug.. have mercy they must come in as an army.. one day nothing, next the whole hugh leaf is covered, ewwwwwwwwww.. i stick them in a bucket of water and pretty much kiss the plants good bye.

I found a few horn worms, I can't bring myself to do them in, I toss them over the bank with the tomato stems I pruned

I miss having grandkids to play in gardens with

• fancyqtr
    Options
    Cherie, I don't know how to use a phone for this site at all. Do you also have a computer that you can forward the photos to? That is how I get mine posted. I couldn't get them posted from phone to SP, either. Actually, couldn't make any posts that way, either.

The yellow tomatoes pretty much taste like any others to me, I think. They are supposed to be less acidic. I've read that people think the heirlooms are sweeter, which they might be. I can't tell.

You are lucky to get big slicing tomatoes. Mine are all small all the time except for the Romas got really big one year. I am going to try to find a way next year to plant earlier. Somehow put some kind of plastic over them like a greenhouse and see if that will work.

When you all finish harvesting, do you do any preparations for next year, like rototill everything under? I am just wondering if something like that would help with mine.
  • fancyqtr
    Options
    I cut one of my cucumbers off the plant and ate it today. The first one ripened I left too long. There is another one on there and it is really small yet. One of my spaghetti squash is mostly yellow now, so should be ready to harvest soon. I have a couple yellow tomatoes to pick and soon a couple of Cherokees, plus I have 4 small Anaheim peppers and one small eggplant that I should pick tomorrow. My second spaghetti squash isn't close to ripe yet, but it has grown quite a bit and should be a perfect size for me.
  • Nipchkin
    Options
    Today's harvest: 40 pumpkins, 12 zucchini, 17 acorn squash, 17 spaghetti squash, and a bunch of tomatoes. Corn is now done, except for finding some dried out ears on the stalks that we give to the squirrels in the backyard. Beans are about done - bunnies have been nibbling at the tops of the plants. Tomatoes are slowing down. Still have over a dozen pumpkins left to pick, not including some immature ones that might mature before the season is over. When we went to our garden plots, there were 2 young deer laying down against a neighboring gardeners fence. We tried not to scare them, but they decided they didn't want to be around while we were there. I'm sure they will be back. There are still some spaghetti squash left to pick that aren't ripe yet, and a couple immature acorn squash that I'm not sure will get large enough to pick. Pulled the rest of the acorn squash vines and threw them over the fence for the deer to eat if they want to (they definitely like eating any pumpkin vines that wander outside the fence, so they might enjoy the squash vines too, as well as the tomatoes that the bunnies had nibbled on that we also threw over the fence).
  • fancyqtr
    Options
    Cathy, how big is your plot? You are getting a lot from it.

I picked one Lemon Boy today. I guess something got to the other ripe one. Something also got to my piggy-back Cherokee. I have two Cherokees almost ready to pick (probably tomorrow). I hope nothing gets to those two. They are high up, but the Lemon Boys were, too. When I watered the cucumbers today I noticed that I have 4 more little tiny ones on the plant. They are about the size for sweet gherkins, one even for minis.
  • cherie8525
    Options
    @Nipchkin
    I am super Jelly on your pumpkins, I love growing and carving them for fall.. I might get 3ish this year.. zero winter squash.. although, it is amazing how 3 day s of sun has encouraged the plant to finally spread out and cover the compost heap.
    @fancyqtr
    I think flavoring on tomato is very slight.. I do think home grown tomato have amazing taste.. As Jess says on Roots and Rescue "Store bought tomatoes, taste like disappointment"
    I do love the little sun globe cherries, the burst of intense favor is super yummy.

I am in awe of the size of my slicers this year.. I was trying to find a picture.. I have grown some HUGH ones
    0b04ojf3ccpt.jpg
    LOL once again wrestling with finding the right photo

• cherie8525
    Options
    This years prep will be attempting to sift all the soil in the raised beds, I will try to remove all the crazy jumping/snake worms.. Hopefully it will slow downs next years reproduction of them.. They have eaten most of the soil, the beds are pretty much worm casting, gritty sand.
    Last year I added in goat and rabbit poo balls, which is considered a gold fertilizer, It isn't hot and can go directly in the garden.. This spring I planted Roses, The area I planted in, I am pretty sure those worms had already gone through because the soil feels like sand. So I added in the rabbit poo and hay they had gone potty on. I still have roses blooming. I am shocked and in awe at the same time. .I thought Rose only bloomed once. Maybe it is the variety.. I do not know a lot about roses due to not having a lot of luck up here in the snow belt.. The dread japenese beetle finds them before the bloom even gets to open all the way.
    I took these pictures yesterday.. I had been away horse camping last week and enjoyed my garden stroll to see who was still here and blooming
    smegufxs5qf9.jpg
    x0jz5hmk58t5.jpg
    I love blooms, this spring there were a few flowers I would love to have inside to admire, but couldn't get myself to cut them to bring in.. I made the decision to create a cut flower garden next year, then the more I thought about it, I decided to start a cut flower / bouquet business. If I sell a few a week It will help pay for my fun of growing LOL

• cherie8525
    Options
    yesterdays walk about cq5lzk075oh7.jpg
    I am in LOVE with zinna, I found them last year.. so many variety, colors, shapes, sizes
    7snie8to07a8.jpg
    8mycn4zrrycw.jpgazz2p4qpnktr.jpghf64ppu7dec7.jpg
    cupcake variety
    sx6g3c1cvfn6.jpg
    3j97g5rz9576.jpg

• cherie8525
    Options
    couple of hibiscus in bloom
    wwwncmf8jiy0.jpg
    vkvvpik4ury4.jpg
    I love the flower pods, details are stunning

• cherie8525
    Options
    s4na4bdnve10.jpg
    these are a cohosh, Om word, I would love a perfume that smells like this! !
  • cherie8525
    Options
    4ns1brjtwghr.jpg
    many moons back I got determined to grow holly hocks.. the stems, blooms feel so regal to me.
    I have yellows and peach and these one above was suppose to be the black. I planted the seed this spring and was happily shocked to have it bloom this year.. it shouldn't have till next year

• cherie8525
    Options
    new find this year I am in love with and the variety, shapes, colors and size's enthrall me
    aqdh50lfajpx.jpg
    sbhcowi622wr.jpg
    1afm5vteydg2.jpg
    ymgi1nidtglt.jpg
    tfjpp05lm97v.jpg

• cherie8525
    Options
    4njmgrfh7an4.jpg
    xmx2pgc8lgiq.jpg
    7ouuuge10iyd.jpg

I learned this year that sunflowers have an large amount of pollen, and if you cut yourself a bouquet, where ever you place it will quickly have a sheet of yellow pollen beneath it. :D
    I learned someone has created strands/ variety of sun flowers that are pollenless.. huh, imagine that and I have to wonder HOW
    they are called Pro-cut.. I am going to grow 8 of these next year if the sun shines long enough in succession so I can have and sell bouquet weekly.. wish me luck
    qe70nc2ob73l.jpg