I Challenge You...

MWMstr17
MWMstr17 Posts: 1,354 Member
Fun challenges to stay motivated and on track between terms at Hogwarts.

Replies

• MWMstr17
    ICAOY (all of you) to ponder if you want to try a small bingo card during break.

We could make one combined and flexible card together, or each our own, and post a pic here, if we don't want google sheets during break.

I was thinking a three-by-three with more generic, "keep on track" tasks such as....
    • meet my step goal
    • meet my outside/nature goal
    • do a HIIT during break
    • Maintain my current weight on break
    • Lose 5lbs on break
    • Etc.
    wqcc8j5p47v7.png
  • bradkcrew
    bradkcrew Posts: 1,506 Member
    I'm in! Are you a prefect next term?
  • MWMstr17
    bradkcrew wrote: »
    I'm in! Are you a prefect next term?

I thought about it, and still consider it, but put No on the application.
  • MWMstr17
  • hippysprout
    hippysprout Posts: 1,446 Member
    MWMstr17 wrote: »

Completed :)

ICY to stay active while we wait for the new term to start! Your choice: a ten-minute walk, or 90 seconds of planks

• Briaboo4
    Briaboo4 Posts: 1,080 Member
    edited October 2021
    It's nearly midnight here but I did go on a 95 min walk with my family earlier today. Does that count?

ICY to do 10 minutes of stretching.
  • MWMstr17
    Stretching while listening to the O'Jays on Daryl's House.

ICY to exercise to whatever music gets you into a groove.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzWRT-PAGQk

• pisanee
    pisanee Posts: 1,845 Member
    I set my phone to random shuffle while I was mopping the house. But I think I kept missing the good songs when I went outside to rinse the mop.

ICY to do 20 crunches.
  • bradkcrew
    20 crunches done. I have been meaning to get started on some sort of ab routine for quite some time...I really need to get at it.

ICY to see how long you can do a wall sit.
  • MWMstr17
    75 seconds wall sit. I had done some 60s for some challenge, so went for 75. It's hard not to focus on static exercises like that. I much prefer a plank with some moving parts to a static plank.

ICY to work your legs: lunges, squats, whatever works.
  • bradkcrew
    edited October 2021
    How about a 4 mile run? Done. I will go do a one minute wall sit for good measure.

ICY to 10 push ups and a 1 minute plank. (I will go do those too!)

Done!
  • pisanee
    Done - I am still on modified push-ups but hoping to one day progress to a full one. Maybe I'll work on that for next term's unbreakable vow.

ICY to finish something on your to do list.
  • MWMstr17
    Ugh. Must go rake leaves up before rain starts later. More grass seed too, if possible.

Two weeks tomorrow is next weigh in.

ICY to set a goal weight for that Friday, Nov 12th. And then a two-week plan to make it there.
  • bradkcrew
    edited October 2021
    I will move this along since it has been setting for 24 hours. I weigh on Sundays (and haven't weighed since the close of the challenge), so mine is a 3 week goal. Realistically my weight loss is going to slow down because I am close to maintenance, but I will shoot for 2 pounds down by Term 37 weigh in.

I have been incredibly successful with what I have been doing so I am just staying the course, but I did recently up my calories by 100 a day in case I want them. For me it is a low calorie, whole foods based, nutrient packed diet and intentional exercise daily.

@pisanee It CAN be done! If I recall correctly, I had not been able to do a push up since my 20s, and I just turned 60. Suddenly I can just knock them out! I did three things, so I am not sure of the magic formula, but 1) I did 3 one minute elbow planks each day for several months 2) Over the last couple of months I had added 10 modified push ups immediately after the planks 3 times a day 3) This one is the wild card-I had been going to the gym twice a week and lifting weights on 5 different upper body machines.

Since push ups are the topic, ICY to do 10 push ups (what ever kind you can), immediately followed by a 1 minute plank, and then immediately into 10 more push ups. Currently I do this routine 3 x daily, regular push ups the first time, modified the second, but a new goal will be to get regular on both ends!
  • bradkcrew
    bradkcrew wrote: »

Since push ups are the topic, ICY to do 10 push ups (what ever kind you can), immediately followed by a 1 minute plank, and then immediately into 10 more push ups. Currently I do this routine 3 x daily, regular push ups the first time, modified the second, but a new goal will be to get regular on both ends!

Update: I figured there is no time like the present. I just discovered I can indeed do 10 regular push ups/1 minute plank/10 regular push ups, so I guess I have to commit to doing it 3 times a day now...

So someone get on the ICY!
  • pisanee
    @bradkcrew Thanks for the tip!

Just did 10 modified push-ups, 1 min straight arm plank, and another 10 modified push-ups. I struggle with elbow planks. There is something with my right elbow, where I can’t always put weight on it, even on a soft surface, like the bed. It doesn’t impact mobility, so I have been ignoring it.

ICY to share a healthy recipe. I need some new ideas to avoid the takeout food my husband keeps bringing home.
  • MWMstr17
    @pisanee If you like veggie chili, I would be happy to post my recipe for that.

If you enjoy cooking, I heartily recommend looking at joining America's Test Kitchen, online. Shannon joined ATK this summer, and it's been totally worth it. Recipes are great, but more important, techniques and tricks in the kitchen have improved things across all meals. There's a free trial, so risk is low.

Another resource I like, partly for healthy recipes, is the SELF magazine daily newsletter/email, which is free. It's a good split b/t exercises, recipes, and self-care tips. I like that many/most of their exercises are shown with GIFs rather than video, so it's much quicker and less hassle. The recipes seem very healthy.

ICY to find and prepare a new recipe from some new source.
  • pisanee
    @MWMstr17 Thanks, I will check both out! I think I've seen some YouTube videos from ATK, but didn't realize it was a subscription service. Please do share the chili recipe. I love chili, but haven't had much success making it so far.
  • MWMstr17
    ICY to find and prepare a new recipe from some new source.
  • pisanee
    I don’t have a regular source for recipes, so hopefully this will count. I’ve done yoghurt marinated chicken and know it can be applied to lamb as well. But I didn’t know you could do it with beef too. So I tried a yoghurt marinated chuck steak, with middle eastern type spices. It came out pretty tender and juicy.

And later today, I will be trying MWMstr17’s vegetable chili recipe.

ICY to get in a quick bedtime or morning stretch/yoga, depending on your time zone.