The Fireplace

Replies

• filmgal30
    filmgal30 Posts: 3,976 Member
    @MWMstr17 Yeah! Thank you! I got your messsge and figured it out. I had to log out then back in to see the join button. Tech solved. OR is that “mischief managed”? I’m not sure how active I can be (even though I did sign up for Term 37 because of some of my exercise/weight lifting restrictions still in place, but if I get accepted then I’ll try my best.
  • MWMstr17
    MWMstr17 Posts: 1,354 Member
    https://www.discovermagazine.com/health/how-does-the-human-body-burn-fat

Good overview of fat cells in the body, and how limiting calories and increasing exercise help to reduce them.
  • hippysprout
    hippysprout Posts: 1,446 Member
    I think it's probably dependent on the subject. A person with 100lbs to lose will naturally take longer than someone with 20lbs to lose. It's got to be absolutely exhausting to continue cutting for a lengthy period. While I do absolutely agree that it's a formula, there are human factors that math doesn't consider. For instance, maybe I could continue to cut all holiday long, but will the mental toll be more than my resolve can pay? Am I willing to risk that? My literal future is at stake. Perhaps pausing is a better option if it means I can easily switch back to cutting after the new year. So, while it's math at the core, there is a human factor to consider.

I also think that sustainable and healthy weight loss will naturally slow as you reach your goal. There isn't as much deficit room as you get to your healthy weight - at least not if you want to remain healthy. It's entirely possible to lose while eating less than the established minimum calories, but at the risk of your heart health. So... it slows near the end. It has to, or we eat the end of a double-edged sword.
  • MWMstr17
    Yea, there is definitely one question as to whether your own calorie deficit that works for you today, when you have more to lose, will continue to work the same as you reach a healthy maintenance weight.

Then the second question is whether your norms work during the holidays, with or without acceptable efforts and stress.

• MWMstr17
    Had this thought this morning........what if you purposefully decided now, or by Nov 20? which and how many "blow-off eating well days" you thought was allowable? Do that in advance, and maybe use it as incentive to work out more/harder in advance, etc.

Then write yourself some coupons for that number of days, as a gift to yourself. You would have the benefit of deciding rationally what's best, prior to most temptations, and you would grant yourself permission, which should reduce stress.

With three coupons, for example, instead of feeling stressed by the myriad temptations, you'd instead be thinking "Is this buffet of cheap sweets worth one of my tickets?"

Mental trickery, but not that different from whatever you tell yourself to go work out when you don't really feel it.

61v4kz3t8u7g.png

• MWMstr17

@pisanee I moved this here from ICY thread.........

A lot of ATK episodes are on YouTube. The ATK website sub gets you download-ability of recipe steps, and written ingredient lists, etc. And there's an ATK app, so you can carry a recipe to the store for shopping, etc.

This veggie chili makes three quarts (48-50oz) in my small crockpot. I found it online and have tinkered over time.

Cans - all cans are typical 14.5-15 oz cans
    1 can diced tomatoes (seasoned or not. I use seasoned/fire roasted)
    1 can chili beans
    1 can black beans
    1 can sweet yellow corn (niblet, not cream style)

Spices
    Pepper and salt to taste. I go low on salt.
    2 tbs chili powder
    1 tbs paprika
    1 tbs smoked paprika (Trader Joe's item here)
    half tsp cumin
    half tsp oregano
    1 bay leaf
    Texas Pete sauce, or your goto hot sauce, to taste (I do 4-5 good splashes)

Chopped Veggies
    Mushrooms, usually 5-6 brown bella's depending on size
    Peppers, usually most/all of one bell pepper, or 5-6 of the smaller type
    Onion, usually half to whole of whatever we have
    The peppers and mushrooms shrink and soften a lot, so I cut them chunky. Onions are just for flavor.

Process
    Strain tomatoes well
    Strain chili beans a little, but don't lose too much of flavorings/sauce
    Mix those two in pot, then add all the Spices stuff, and mix well
    Add all chopped veggies
    This is usually pretty full, until veggies cook down and shrink
    Rinse black beans well, and carefully mix into pot, as now it's really full
    Cook on high for ~2 hours until it's >170F, then put on low heat.
    I set a repeating timer for ~40 mins, and stir that often.
    Strain yellow corn well, and add one hour before serving. This is partly for lack of space until veggies shrink, and I don't like the corn to get mushy. The crunch of the corn counters the other broken-down veggies nicely. Nice color with the black beans too.

That's the core recipe we've done many times. We've added chicken breast/tenderloins. Add at start and remove/shred/mix back in before serving.

• bradkcrew
    bradkcrew Posts: 1,506 Member
    MWMstr17 wrote: »
    https://www.discovermagazine.com/health/how-does-the-human-body-burn-fat

Good overview of fat cells in the body, and how limiting calories and increasing exercise help to reduce them.

Interesting, because I have always read that fat cells were permanent!

@MWMstr17 I do agree about making decisions regarding eating in advance, and then allowing a guilt free meal/day. I am starting to lean toward a pass day for Thanksgiving. Fortunately I will be eating at my brother's, so no concern about temptation past the single meal.

• pisanee
    pisanee Posts: 1,845 Member
    @MWMstr17 Thanks! This looks awesome. I need to go to the market now, as we are low on fresh veg.
  • brandi_84
    brandi_84 Posts: 1,963 Member
    Please remind me...Are we getting Owls next week? because I'm super excited for next term.
  • MWMstr17
    IDK typical schedule, but weigh-in is Friday 12th, so I'd guess 8th to 10th so we have time to join all the groups, etc.
  • bradkcrew
    MWMstr17 wrote: »

Thanks for posting this! I bought the inspire 2 a couple of weeks ago for 99.99 at Kohls and was pretty sure I was going to return it for something more advanced, and now it is certain!
  • kylielynn314
    kylielynn314 Posts: 4,397 Member
    brandi_84 wrote: »
    Please remind me...Are we getting Owls next week? because I'm super excited for next term.

Owls with the acceptance or wait list notification should go out on Monday, November 8th through Tuesday, November 9th (and should be received by the end of Tuesday, November 9th).

*** If you do NOT join by 11:59 pm ET on Thursday, November 11th or respond to the prefect that PM'd, then your spot will be given to someone on the wait list. ***
    So make sure to respond to your acceptance PM to hold your space. :)
  • Allaesa72
    Allaesa72 Posts: 1,197 Member
    My weight is finally dropping. I imagine it'll start the yoyo pattern again when the challenge starts. 😅
  • MWMstr17
    I'm finding there is a mystical balance to be found. Towards the end of 36, I was ready for a break.

Now on break, and not getting to gym consistently, I'm wanting 37 to start.
  • Rigibann
    Rigibann Posts: 3,663 Member
    Just jumping in on the fitbit options. I used to have a charge 2 back in the day but then hubby bought me a Samsung active 2 ( which I hate). With my Fitbit I had several friends to tackle challenges and goals with and the battery life was very good. Not the case with the Samsung and although I have stuck with it for nearly a year I am seriously thinking of switching back to the fitbit - but help, which model should I go for? I have gotten used to a watch face so am thinking maybe a versa- any thoughts please?

I’m not a runner so don’t need gps (I think)
  • MWMstr17
    I used my wife's old Charge 2 or 3 to first make sure I needed one. Its screen/face was too small and dark when outside. I put up with it until I got a Versa 2 on sale.

It's great. Great battery life, fairly quick syncs with app/phone.

I was able to customize my top seven activities so they come up for easy selection before starting a timed activity.
  • Allaesa72
    I have the versa 3. Not sure what's different from the 2. If it has gps, I don't use it. I needed the capability to receive messages while at work when I can't look at my phone. I can also send quick messages back with my voice. I love the battery life, it goes for days and charges quickly. 👍
  • bradkcrew
    Rigibann wrote: »
    Just jumping in on the fitbit options. I used to have a charge 2 back in the day but then hubby bought me a Samsung active 2 ( which I hate). With my Fitbit I had several friends to tackle challenges and goals with and the battery life was very good. Not the case with the Samsung and although I have stuck with it for nearly a year I am seriously thinking of switching back to the fitbit - but help, which model should I go for? I have gotten used to a watch face so am thinking maybe a versa- any thoughts please?

I’m not a runner so don’t need gps (I think)

I am going to try the Fitbit Sense Advanced--It is their latest and greatest(lol) smartwatch and it is $100 off at $199, so seems like a good deal. The Versa 2 is $179 and is the previous year model. Here is a comparison:

https://versopo.com/en/fitbit-sense-vs-fitbit-versa-2#:~:text=Both, the Sense, as well as the Versa,Versa 2 battery lasts merely for 5 days.
  • Allaesa72
    Has anyone changed the heart rate settings on the Fitbit? It had my peak heart rate set for 150 something. I understand how they calculate it but I can rarely get up that high for longer than a minute. I felt cheated🤣 So I lowered the setting by 10. Am I cheating myself for doing that?