How is your season coming along?

Options
cherie8525
cherie8525 Posts: 109 Member
Come on in and share you years success and failures and pictures!

Replies

• cherie8525
    Options
    I have had a crazy year, I live in zone 4b central Vermont up in the snow belt. my battle this year has been with crazy jumping/ snake worms. Do you have them?
    They are FREAKY, not a lot causes me to scream.. I love snakes.. I do not enjoy worms moving like snakes acting aggressive and taking off fast.
    I grow in raised beds, I only planted half of the sf due to the amount of the worms.
    they live in the top 6/8 inch of soil,
    they pop out and take off if soil is disturbed
    they break easily like reptiles, it is disgusting
    they are so large, my chickens tip there heads side ways and give them the hairy eyeball. (i brought in ducks who LOVE THEM)
    my raise beds which was filled with beautiful compost this spring is already mostly worm casting, these things have consumed most of the soil.
    Largest worm was 18'' long and as thick as one of my fingers,
    if they were not so destructive to the soil/ woods/ environment. I would be impressed with them
  • Nipchkin
    Nipchkin Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    cherie8525 wrote: »
    I have had a crazy year, I live in zone 4b central Vermont up in the snow belt. my battle this year has been with crazy jumping/ snake worms. Do you have them?
    They are FREAKY, not a lot causes me to scream.. I love snakes.. I do not enjoy worms moving like snakes acting aggressive and taking off fast.
    I grow in raised beds, I only planted half of the sf due to the amount of the worms.
    they live in the top 6/8 inch of soil,
    they pop out and take off if soil is disturbed
    they break easily like reptiles, it is disgusting
    they are so large, my chickens tip there heads side ways and give them the hairy eyeball. (i brought in ducks who LOVE THEM)
    my raise beds which was filled with beautiful compost this spring is already mostly worm casting, these things have consumed most of the soil.
    Largest worm was 18'' long and as thick as one of my fingers,
    if they were not so destructive to the soil/ woods/ environment. I would be impressed with them

I'm glad I don't have to deal with jumping worms!! The regular bugs in my garden are creepy enough sometimes.
  • Nipchkin
    Options
    Our garden at the plots we rent from the park district is doing well. Hubby has been doing most of the work for the past couple of years, as I've been watching my grandson during the day and have to spend evenings and weekends getting my own chores done! We do need rain. Got an inch of rain a week or 2 ago, which helped, but we really need more, especially for the corn and pumpkins. Hubby has been watering the tomatoes, beans, and squash, but hard to haul enough for the corn/pumpkin section too. Getting lots of tomatoes now, so far just the Black from Tula and Big Rainbow ones have ripened.
  • cherie8525
    Options
    @Nipchkin
    The weather this year is so weird.. I live in Vermont, most are saying were in a drought, I have been getting rain almost daily.. I needed SUN so veg would grow.. our harvest is sad, 6 cherry tomatoes and finally zucchini is coming it. I made some keto zucchini bread.. it was edible and cured my craving Yet it is missing something LOL I will work on it and tweak recipe. Grand kids are priceless. I wish mine still came around daily.. I miss them.. they can be exhausting too. I haven't heard of either of those tomatoes, do you save seeds?
  • Nipchkin
    Options
    cherie8525 wrote: »
    @Nipchkin
    The weather this year is so weird.. I live in Vermont, most are saying were in a drought, I have been getting rain almost daily.. I needed SUN so veg would grow.. our harvest is sad, 6 cherry tomatoes and finally zucchini is coming it. I made some keto zucchini bread.. it was edible and cured my craving Yet it is missing something LOL I will work on it and tweak recipe. Grand kids are priceless. I wish mine still came around daily.. I miss them.. they can be exhausting too. I haven't heard of either of those tomatoes, do you save seeds?
    They are both heirloom tomatoes. I don't save seeds, usually order them from Totally Tomatoes (www.totallytomato.com). They have so many varieties, especially heirlooms, from all over the world and which grow in all sorts of growing zones. Black from Tula is a Russian heirloom.
  • fancyqtr
    fancyqtr Posts: 183 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Thank you for starting this here. We have had drought for the last two months. Before that it was too cold to plant, so my garden was started late. Now it has been too hot so everything needs watered just about every day. I've lost a few plants due to the heat. I'm still hoping the tomatoes and spaghetti squash will ripen.
  • cherie8525
    Options
    @Nipchkin I am also addicted to saving seeds, LOL why not? free seeds for following year then I can spend my seed money on new selections. I use big photo totes to save seeds in.. we could be set for years if need be
    @fancyqtr Ty for joining, I am sorry your growing season hasn't been pleasant this year.. For me it it so disappointing. I plan and plan from Nov right through May.. My last frost day was June 11 this year.

Last year I was harvesting all kinds of vegetables..
    I have found some cucumbers, evidently I am blind because some where hugh and ready to be tongue pickles, I also found enough green beans for meal

My keto zucchini, was ok, my husband loved it.. All i could taste was the fake sugar, ewwww
  • fancyqtr
    edited August 2021
    Options
    We still had the mid-90s the last couple days and I have been falling asleep around the times I am allowed to water here, so I hope the garden is okay. The cucumber plant seems to be doing okay. The flower look like they are done-for. We are supposed to get rain tomorrow in some parts of the state and I hope we get it here. They say north of I-70 and I am about 9 miles south. We can have rain on one side of the street and nothing on the other side here. I am hoping the flowers can come back, but they don't look good.

I think our last frost was around the same time as yours. Then it was suddenly in the 90s. Since then we have had very little rain. When we get rain it usually rains for around 15 minutes and quits.

I can understand the ewww on fake sugar. Can you lower the amount? I know that in most things they call for too much and it gets really bad and leaves an aftertaste. I can handle some, but I have to figure the amounts myself. Splenda and stevia are the ones I use. Otherwise it's honey.
  • cherie8525
    Options
    Rain, Rain and more Rain, one week of sun here on top of the mountain.. My gardens did need it, evidently my body needed the time to rest and recharge too. HAHA plus bonus of me not snacking my way through the gardens.

our well runs over all fall and winter, come spring it stops.. Not this year, which has left part of my horses and sow's paddock muddy. weird year.

I will start to play around with the amount of fake sugar, my husband thought it was a spice. upside is it took care of my craving for zucc bread.. most keto recipe swap out flour with almond flour and my body has issues with it.. I won't be eating much of it

I am sorry your blooms are hurting, I love flowers, next year I will creating cutting flower beds :) I have a hard time cutting from my garden beds.. I love seeing the blooms . 1pxc2wv7ls2o.jpg
  • fancyqtr
    edited August 2021
    Options
    I finally got to eat 2 strawberries from my plants. I planted them in the yard this time, so hopefully I will have plants next year and they will have more strawberries. I heard they don't produce until year 2, so I am fortunate I got to have a couple and the birds are also fortunate.

Went and looked at the tomatoes this evening and one of the "Cherokees" is starting to ripen. Only problem is there is no purplish and green color coming on it. It is starting to turn red. Guess it got mixed up again. I don't know what Lemon Boy is going to turn out to be. I doubt I can find any Cherokees to get seeds from this late in the year. Rats. May have to order seeds for that next year.

I have one cucumber which is surprising. I didn't plant that until really late.

• fancyqtr
    Options
    When you save seeds, is there anythig special you have to do to them before you plant them. I mean like the tomato seeds. The lady at church that grows the benevolence garden said there was some type of preparation that the tomato seeds needed. If not, maybe I can use the Cherokee seeds I saved last year. What other kinds of seeds do you save?
  • cherie8525
    Options
    @fancyqtr
    Tomato and cucumbers, or any seed that has the gel surrounding it.. needs to be fermented. You can even save seeds from grocery seed tomato. or buy some at a farmers marker? Bonus of buying one at market you get to eat the tomato and get more seed then what would have come in package of purchased. Take the seeds and place in small jar with water, let sit a few days, swish it around if you think of it.. you will be able to tell when the gel is gone.. I then take the seed and place on a paper plate with date and variety or what it looked like. I LOVE saving seeds.
    This year, we have volunteer plants EVERYWHERE LOL
  • Nipchkin
    Options
    We really need rain. Of course, it's like that every August. We did get a bit last week, which helped. Now the grass is green instead of grayish. Still need to water everything today. May get rain tomorrow, but that could change too and no more rain expected for another week after that. Garden is going well. Gramdson helped pick a couple pumpkins that were turning orange. We do usually get the first pumpkins turning orange in August every year. We just keep them in a cool place and they finish turning completely orange before long, but will still keep fine for most of the Winter, or until we are ready to use them for Halloween or process them into pumpkin puree.
  • fancyqtr
    Options
    Cherie, thank you for the information on the seeds. I was looking at what they had at church today and got another Cherokee tomato. Mine might turn out to be a Cherokee afterall. It just needs to turn purple and green on the top and the bottom is a reddish color. I also got a red one from there. This evening I noticed the tomato I had gotten at the store that I thought I must have eaten, was still in the bag and still in good shape, so I have 3 tomatoes for this week. Hope I can manage that.

Cathy, we are also in desperate need of rain. I thought it would rain today since it was cooler and cloudy late this afternoon, but I don't think it did. I'll have to turn the water on again tomorrow.
  • cherie8525
    Options
    my gardens are desperate for sun.. so crazy.. upside is my tomato are finally turning red, I made my first batch of sauce.. pretty yummy.. instead of noodles we use zucchini shredded and browned in butter..

will you save the seeds?
  • fancyqtr
    Options
    It looks like I will be able to harvest some tomatoes tomorrow. They were supposed to be the Cherokees, but they are yellow, instead. Not red like the one looked like it was turning. I felt them this morning and they are starting to soften. I am thinking maybe the cucumber is ready (now sure how to tell) and maybe the combination will make a nice cucumber salad. I also have 2 red tomatoes, one from the store and one from church that might make it more colorful.
  • cherie8525
    Options
    I have an abundance of tomato, I will try to get pictures first before I harvest.. I am excited.
  • Nipchkin
    Options
    Emptying the compost bin to get it ready for all the pumpkins. Pulled out 60 gallons of compost. After sifting the first 4 buckets, only about 1/4 is completely finished. But other than the corn cobs, corn husks, crushed egg shells, and avocado pits, nothing else is actually recognizable except for the stuff I threw in there during the last week. The finished compost is going in buckets for now, to be used when planting a few bushes. The unfinished stuff is going in an empty area where I hope to plant a tree and maybe some bushes next year, then I'm covering it with old mulch I'm clearing off some beds, before covering all the beds with fresh mulch. At least it's good exercise.
  • Nipchkin
    Options
    We picked at least a couple bushels of green tomatoes before we had to get out of the rented garden plots. Many of them have now ripened and I am cooking them into sauce or tomato juice. First possible frost (32F) is forecast for November 2nd and 3rd. Previously it had said a low of 30F overnight, but it's now changed. We'll see when it gets here. I finally planted my rose of sharon bush out front, and planted 4 knock out rose bushes around it, with hardy amaryllis bulbs in between. Hopefully they will do well. All that's left is to spread some soil that I have in a couple large planters over that area and smooth it, then mulch. I know that they usually recommend mulching after the ground freezes, to help prevent freezing and thawing from heaving up the ground, but I'm hoping that mulching now will delay having the ground freeze, in order to allow the roots of the bushes to get more established. All I did was loosen the roots at the bottom and sides to prevent them from getting too compacted (they were not root bound, so I probably could have skipped that step) before placing them in the hole and watering well after each layer of soil was added, so that the roots would be surrounded by mud and make it easier for them to start growing.
    I cleared off the back beds and started spreading mulch there already. I'm at least 1/4 done (it's a large bed), but we had at least 4" of rain Sunday, which delayed getting any more mulch and spreading it. Hopefully that project will be done by this weekend too.
  • cherie8525
    Options
    Sorry for being MIA.. I picked up a few shift since garden season is over.. I have most of my beds cleared.. I have a few full of perennial in pot that I want to put to rest for winter.. Frost is common in the am now. @ Nipchkin
    Did you get all your project complete?