Exercise: 150 minutes golfing, 55 minute stretching and PT exercises

Tracking: yes
    Calories: over, pass day (sorry)
    Pass days used: 1
    Winner's circle: yes
  • Caroline_slowandsteady
    Options
    Dec 30
    Another pass day - I am so far from the winner's circle! We had our NYE takeout early and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Exercise - Went for a hike with my daughter. I just wrote out a long question about that and then posted it in "What's on Your Mind" instead of here.
    Tracking - I did preplan the day with estimates, and it was over.
    Calories - Followed the plan and added in some extras too - so way over.

@mshawski That is so terrible that the nutritionist was so unhelpful! I think the expertise we get here is so far and above what most nutritionists learn that you were bound to be disappointed.

I had a terrible experience with a nutritionist from my work EAP many years before I started trying to lose weight in earnest. It was during the time of my life when I had 1 or 2 little kids (I don't remember when it was exactly) and was breastfeeding and my wife was doing the cooking and it was all casserole type stuff and she said there was no way she could track what she was putting in the food while watching little kid(s). And the woman said the only way to lose weight was to count calories, but that she couldn't give me a calorie number because I was breastfeeding and I would have to call my doctor's office and ask them to give me a calorie number. And I said "They're not going to do that" (and I really don't think they would have!) And she said, "Yes they are" and we went back and forth for a long time with her telling me that was the only way to lose weight - to get a number of calories from my primary care doctor's office and count and eat that number of calories and me telling her that was all impossible. It was incredibly discouraging and I think I gave up on losing weight for a few years after that. I had such high hopes and I cried so much afterwards because when you really want help it is so discouraging when someone is unhelpful.

I actually wound up losing the first ~17 or so pounds on my weight loss journey without counting calories, so BOO to her!
  • ideas2
    ideas2 Posts: 1,242 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options

mshawski wrote: »
    @MadisonMolly2017 - Thank you for this ❤️

I work out 7 days a week - usually 4 days running, 3 days functional strength at the gym (sometimes 4 days gym depending on schedules and weather).

What I wanted to get out of it = help with my macros since I usually end up carb heavy to get my protein numbers high enough to meet what my trainer says. I’ve been told by my trainer to hit 1 gram of protein for every pound of body weight and I’ve been finding hitting over 130 grams a day impossible, let alone 180, and I usually land between 100 and 110 - so I wanted help with that. I have also found myself binging lately at least once a week so I’m clearly not getting something I need. I very clearly asked for a number goal on protein and carbs and just kept getting “spread it out over the day”. I do that already what I need to know is how much I’m spreading out! 😂 Also I literally crave nuts, beans, and nutritional yeast. That’s not like chips and candy - I figured something has to be making me want those and I was hoping for insight on that. Luckily the rheumatologist I saw Monday ran vitamin tests when he ran all the other fun stuff so hopefully he can at least tell me something since she was of no help on that front.

@ mshawski I think you should consider that you might be working too hard at it and it might help to incorporate a day of rest. Last time I lost a large amount of weight I also had a workout schedule very similar to yours. I eventually developed high hamstring tendonitis (literally a pain in the butt) and saw a few physical therapists. The one I had the most confidence in warned me that a 7 day a week workout schedule is not healthy, that at least one day a week needs to focus on allowing your body to rest. My son is also now a physical therapist, graduated from the number one ranked program in the US (USC), and totally agrees with him.

When I was using a Lumen, they also calculated protein needs based on body weight, but what I have read, and what the dietician told me she uses, is based on your ideal body weight, not your current body weight-- because your fat cells really don´t need much protein. She figured for me, at 5 foot, 5 inches, it would be between 85 and 105 grams of protein for me. I think she used the same formula that MadisonMolly2017 gave you, only she used what we assumed to be my ideal weight, not my current weight.

Using the Lumen was an interesting experiment, that strongly showed me was how much stress and cortisol affects fat burning. What you haven´t mentioned in your posts is what your stress level is and how your sleep is. Have you ever listened to Shawn Stevenson (The Model Health Show) or read his book ¨Sleep Smarter¨about the importance of sleep and stress control?

Having just watched the video I posted in the thread above about addiction, your craving for nuts, beans, and nutritional yeast sounds to me like it could be emotional or be a craving for the flavor of salt (just the way we can crave the flavor of sugar.) Many times a craving is not for something your body actually physically needs, in adults cravings are usually emotional (irrational if you prefer), not physical, even (or especially) if you are not aware of the emotion driving the craving. But newer research says they can also be behavioral or even can be what your gut bacteria are telling you you are craving. (He talks about that in the video on addiction.) Your lifestyle and food beliefs are sufficiently strong that your cravings are far more healthy than the cravings of the average American, but still are likely to be more emotional or behavioral than physical.

No doubt you do not need that dietician/nutritionist!

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    mshawski wrote: »
    ...I’ve been told by my trainer to hit 1 gram of protein for every pound of body weight...
    [sound of brakes squeaking]
    This is probably a misunderstanding since I know you have otherwise been happy with your trainer. That is unnecessarily high though.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/calpro.htm

For body building the general high-protein advice is usually closer to 1g per pound of ideal BMI weight or 1-2g per pound of lean body mass (most don't know this number though or can easily get it)

Also keep in mind that even the USDA and other nutrition "authorities" all admit quite openly that the ideal protein intake is unknown and a topic of debate with much research showing wildly different numbers. However there is a well established minimum, which is what they use to establish RDA for protein, to keep people over that firm minimum. Any lower than that and all agree bad things will happen.

I'll use myself on keto targeting a high protein intake for example. Yes, I targeted 1g per pound...but using my ideal BMI weight of 180 pounds, not my current weight (started at 297). There is no way in hell I could have ever eaten 297g protein in a day. If you look back in my food diary back to around August you'll see I was regularly well over my 180g/day goal, but you won't get there unless you eat similarly which I can't imagine doing without being strictly clean keto.

Also, I knew that 1g per pound of ideal BMI body weight was on the high side, but not excessive. Since I was keto though it was perfect and helped me keep the carbs down.

While I can't be sure what to recommend for the cravings, one thing to consider is if your macro ratios are so out of whack from trying to get that much protein that you do not have enough left to fuel your body, which unless you are keto comes primarily from carbs. If your glycogen levels get depleted and you aren't taking in enough carbs to refuel, your body will try to switch to ketosis to burn fat. But if you keep streaming in just enough carbs to keep from maintaining ketosis then you are in a cycle of not enough fuel and your body will make you eat to refuel, and it will pick anything and everything to get even scraps of what it wants.
  • ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,160 Member
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes, 66 minutes Peloton and 10 minutes upper body strength
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes

Pass days used - 3/3

Planning to be in the Winner's Circle

So I got a new Garmin and turned on negative calorie adjustments (still trying to figure out if I'll keep that) and while I was within my budget, there was a final sync at the end of the day when I went to bed and it put me over by 23 calories. So for my own accountability I was technically over, making it my fourth pass day.

Still a champion!
  • WhatMeRunning
    edited December 2021
    Options
    @ashleycarole86 something you might consider if it suits you is to set your default activity level in your Garmin (and/or MFP) user data to sedentary or whatever is appropriate for days you do not actively exercise at all. Otherwise Garmin is expecting you to burn a higher number of calories per day outside of exercise, and that deficit comes back with the negative calorie adjustment on days where your total daily burn was lower than expected by your daily default setting.

ETA: 🤦‍♂️ Oh, BTW...
    CONGRATS on the new Garmin!
    I'm a fan.
    Since I use Garmin watches.
    And love them very much.
    And feel naked without them.
    Maybe that was TMI
  • WhatMeRunning
    Options
    Way to go @BMcC9 and hope you are still feeling well post-boost.

@biketheworld I am sure you will ultimately want to get tested beforehand if time permits. Hoping for the best either way! I had a mildly sore throat for a few days, but am vaccinated, did not get tested, and more chalk it up to changing my diet back out of ketosis than actually being sick (was the only symptom and very mild). My resting heart rate was up too so I was really keeping any eye on things in case any other symptoms showed.

Excellent accountability today (that's the name of the game here) @Arc2Arc @Mama530 @calvin20874 @Caroline_slowandsteady

Congrats on the 3xYes day @ashleycarole86 @ForLangston @ideas2 @LazyBlondeChef

Happy New Year to everyone!!!
  • Geneveremfp
    Geneveremfp Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Yes x3 for the past 3 days. I think I'm in the champions circle definitely not a winner this month
  • ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,160 Member
    Options
    @ashleycarole86 something you might consider if it suits you is to set your default activity level in your Garmin (and/or MFP) user data to sedentary or whatever is appropriate for days you do not actively exercise at all. Otherwise Garmin is expecting you to burn a higher number of calories per day outside of exercise, and that deficit comes back with the negative calorie adjustment on days where your total daily burn was lower than expected by your daily default setting.

ETA: 🤦‍♂️ Oh, BTW...
    CONGRATS on the new Garmin!
    I'm a fan.
    Since I use Garmin watches.
    And love them very much.
    And feel naked without them.
    Maybe that was TMI

Thanks Chris!

So I set my own calorie number on MFP based off my running 7 week spreadsheet tracking (net calories consumed compared to weight loss) as I was finding the MFP estimates for my body were way off. I do think in the background of MFP I have it set to 2 lbs/week with lightly active as my setting, but I override the calories manually. I think you're saying if I at least switch the activity setting to sedentary (which doesn't matter to me anyway since I'm manually calculating my needs) that it'll help this issue? Appreciate the advice.

I got the Garmin Venu 2 and my husband got the Garmin Forerunner 945 (he's a big outdoor cyclist)... so far I'm very happy! I didn't have any smart watch at all before so it's fun to have it now.
  • WhatMeRunning
    Options
    @ashleycarole86 yes, basically the cause of the negative calorie adjustment is that your "non-exercise" calorie burn was lower than expected and therefore the daily calorie allowance MFP set was too high as it expected you to have more steps, etc. So those unexpended calories get added back at the end of the day.

It all comes down to the methods you find most helpful to track. For myself I prefer to start my daily calorie target at what I should burn regularly in a day without exercise, and then work from there based on any extra calories I actually burn from activity, be it exercise or the Garmin adjustment from steps, etc. Not everyone plans their goals the same, just wanted to point out where perhaps the surprise is coming from. Some may choose it best to disable the negative calorie adjustment, some may accept it, but if you do understanding what drives it helps to better use that feature.
  • DebyS137
    DebyS137 Posts: 4,475 Member
    Options
    ~🥳~ 12 /30 /2021~~ Waving Hi ~~🙋🏼~~ Happy New Years EVE BLESSings ALLways ~💖~

Exercise for at least 20 minutes .................................... ✅ ... 230+ min.
    Stay within my calorie budget for the day ...................... ✅ ... I am
    Keep track of everything I ate and drank ....................... ✅ .... I did

STEPS......... 30,770 +.......... 200 walking ......... .... 30 cleaning

I am Planning on having a couple of diet drinks tomorrow... sooooooo
    I am going to bank some extra time & steps walking ... This helped
    when I splurged on Christmas Eve... I definitely will be tracking....

Documenting My CONSISTANCY = For personal ACCOUNTABILITY
    (if there is a P=instead of number its a Pass Day)

1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19-20-21-22-23-24-25
    -26-27-28-29-30
    YES that is my Plan !!! another Successfull Month to close 2021
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 36,137 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    12/30

Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? 👍🏻

Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? 😈😈

Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? 👍🏻

Used 7 passes 😭😭😭

~~~~~~~~

December goals

- Miracle Morning daily.

- yoga and strength training at least 3x weekly (Strength training WILL happen this month)

- TRY having ZERO pass days

- No LNS daily, ONLY fruits

- Daily journaling
    These are my morning meditation sessions, Pete and Parker enjoy meditation too, lol
    wee443vve4ks.jpeg
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,034 Member
    Options
    @mahawski
    Yes, ideal weight for those calculations for protein.

I should have been clearer about that.

Thanks!
  • mshawski
    mshawski Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the protein clarifications @ideas2 and @MadisonMolly2017!

I am absorbing everyone’s comments and my wheels are turning - formulating a plan. Lol. We’ll see where I end up with. 🏃🏻‍♀️x 🍔 = 💃🏻
  • bookieNJ
    bookieNJ Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    Exercise yes
    Tracking snd calories no
  • enlightenme3
    enlightenme3 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    I was on track to have met all three categories. Then, I came back from the hockey game (our team won in OT :-)) and ate lots and lots of salty snacks. I knew I shouldn't have started, and once started, I knew I should have stopped. I'll see this on the scale in a day or two.

TLDR; Pass day #15 for me.