Class and Practice Check-in for the week of Feb 7, 2022

Options
Do not fear failure because you tried you hardest and it still wasn't enough.

You will learn more about yourself from failure then you ever will from success.

Get up and try gain until you fail less - - that is the most sure fire path to success.

Replies

• Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    Monday - Gym time. I was feeling a bit off, so de-loaded by ~10% on the weights, and did the treadmill at about 25% reduced pace.
    Tuesday - Rest.
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options
    We have had family here since Sunday. They leave today. But my son and I skipped on Monday so he could avoid people.

Tuesday was arms and I upped the reps.

Wednesday I walked 5km with my friend and then did legs, also upped the reps
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    Wednesday: Hit the gym hard - taking a rest day was exactly the missing ingredient!
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Nice to see some activity in this group again, it's been a long time since I've posted so a quick update on me:
    Hello. I've been practicing Judo for since I was 14. I'm a fighting 2nd Dan, although currently not fighting too hard as I have a knee injury that's taking it's sweet time to get better. I'm also a coach at my local club (although my qualification has lapsed over covid, so I need to do some re-validation). In my time I've done (Japanese) Jiu Jitsu to light blue and flirted with TKD, but never graded as I couldn't commit the time to it.

My week so far:

Monday: Monthly randori session - my knee was really feeling it, but the coach made sure we did plenty of groundwork as I don't have any problem with it. Killed myself fighting one of the blokes who's a recent Dan grade on the ground. I need to explain to him that he needs to learn to fight to his opponent's strength. I mean there's no point him (being about a foot taller than me, ~30kg heavier, and flipping strong) fighting at full strength against me because neither of us get anything out of the situation. Because of course he can hold me down, he can basically just pick me up and move me wherever he needs me to be, no technique is required for that. (okay, rant over)
    Wednesday: I've started a 30 day yoga challenge to try and build some more core strength (something I deffo need) and to try and something low impact for my knee. I'm finding that I'm twinging it mostly from impact damage rather than anything else so building up strength non impact should help.
    Thursday: ~30mins Yoga
    Friday: 26mins Yoga
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    Welcome back, Deviette!

Looks like you've had a fun week.

I think that's one of the things that always is a challenge with grappling - weight difference! I know the little bit I've picked up in BJJ and Judo (precious little), every time I'm with someone who outweighs me, it amplifies the effort required to do EVERYTHING and there comes a point where the size/strength difference overwhelms all.

I've been working strengthening my knees into my training a lot lately - weight training and specific knee ROM and strengthening exercises to try and stabilize a chronic knee injury in my left knee. It's helped quite a bit.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    Friday: Gym weights and treadmill

Saturday: Teaching in the park. Lots of basics.
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options
    Welcome back @Deviette. I hope the yoga helps the knee.

Friday I did some core with my son because we skipped Thursday

Saturday we did some more kata basics and a few minutes of introducing new students to the concept of breakfalls. We have refrained from any throws or grappling during covid but it looks like we may be getting back to that
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    Sunday: Black belt class. Practice test... It was tough, which is good. It's funny how even after months of really working hard on conditioning just how drained I feel after. Performance was strong during the class which is good. But now...
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Saturday: 25min yoga first thing. Judo, got in early and on for the children's session and got the chance to see how they're moving. Promising couple couple of kids that'll soon be coming up to the mixed older kids/adults class soon. Also a completely bonkers novice on the mat, he's a little younger than we normally take due to a slight misunderstanding on his age. Seniors session was good, mostly groundwork based again. Was moving well but had to run off early due to other appointments so missed the adults-only randori, not the end of the world as I often find it hard to train with my knee, but still.

Sunday: Yoga stretch session, felt really good after yesterday's training.