Macros, carbs, percentages, diabetes...oh my!

Options
msnewbootie
msnewbootie Posts: 240 Member
Hello Everyone! True newb to diabetes. Just diagnosed less than seven days. Well told I'm at the ceiling of prediabetic to type 2 diabetic, with a1c of 6.9
Sooooo....I AM CONFIDENT I CAN BEAT THIS aka reduce my numbers by losing weight, Exercising more, and eating healthy. Yet...diabetes is a new world for me and I could use some help. Any tips on how to set my macros to balance my diet in favor of one with diabetes. I've read 40-40-20, but then I also came across others. Am I thinking too hard by focusing on macros???
Please help! Thanks in advance.

Replies

• jeraldt6
    jeraldt6 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    After quitting listening to the "professionals" regarding what/how to eat, and doing tons of online research, purchasing my own glucometer and setting forth to make the changes, things turned around. Exercise is key. Join a gym and monitor / chart all progress/ workouts. Learn how your metabolism works. Learn how carbs are used in the body, how they are stored. Learn about glycogen. Learn how to use up all the glycogen stores in your liver and muscles and then only replenish with carb what you expect to burn that day / workout. The rest of your calorie intake needs to be protein and fat. I am not promoting keto in any way. I am promoting that you learn your own body, treat food like medicine and give it what it needs.

For me, personally, now, as a result of having to be on prednisone for a short stint and having been out due to covid for a month, my carb intake must be less than 20 grams per day. Another good cardio workout tomorrow should deplete my liver store of glucose/glycogen and with the low carb intake, I should test around 120 after my workout and a 10 carb 50 protein, 2 fat preworkout breakfast. Down from 280 3 days ago. Once my glucose levels are again under 100 on average, I will be able to up my carbs, especially on workout days.

Point is, you have to do your own research and learn how your own body works.
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I stopped using MFP to count calories and started to count carbs - I set my carbs to a little over 100 and if I come in under that then I consider it a good low carb day. With time to understand that (certainly pre COVID) my working circumstances made it impossible to be totally low carb with only diet and exercise as control, I found a lot more stability with lower-carb (so under 150g but getting as close to under 100 as possible) and the chance to get into an exercise routine properly ...

TEST TEST TEST especially in the early days. I use a Libre sensor and log on here so I can see what spikes me because EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT.

Ultimately there is no right or wrong way for you to manage it... just find out what works for you.
  • Travelerraven
    Travelerraven Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have been living with Type II Diabetes for over 18 years. The cause of my T2D was stress due to the constant high levels of cortisol, the stress hormone.
    With diet, exercise and proper medication I have had no major problems and can keep my blood sugar at between 5 and 8.5 mmol/L depending on meals and my day.
    My average for the 90 day test is 6.3 mmol

I would give any newly diagnosed T2D the same advice I received.

Exercise like it is a religion as your quality of life depends upon it.
    There is a multitude of reasons to exercise and train, one of them is; raising your heart rate engages your GLUT4 Glucose Transporters GLUT4 is part of a family of glucose transporter proteins that delivery glucose directly into the cell without insulin. Read up on this.

Be careful with fasting before training check your blood sugar / glucose levels before and after, and if it is an especially long session in the middle. This type of training can spike blood sugar / glucose levels.

Don’t skip meals.

Caffeine is no longer your friend caffeine now interferes with blood sugar / glucose absorption. Welcome to the decaf gang.

Metformin will assist in weight loss.

Gliclazide sold under various brand names can and in me leads to weight gain.

Sugar free drinks leave them the artificial sweeteners and chemicals used will affect and spike your blood sugar and insulin levels for long periods of time.

A high-protein diet can lead to Glomerular Hyperfiltration [GFR] in Type 2 Diabetics same as Type 1 Diabetics. This mainly due to the body having trouble eliminating all the waste products of protein metabolism.
    Have your kidney and liver function checked regularly.

The diet and meds that work for one Type II Diabetic may not be your answer.
    For example not all diabetics can eat sweet potatoes or beans.

Read up on diabetes make smart changes to your life style, understand these changes and their impact on you, and look at how you will incorporate these changes into your life style.
    With your doctor determine what currently the best course of action for you is, as this will change.

I hope this info helps you as much as it did me.
  • ben_100
    ben_100 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    After a year of diagnosis ..I came back to re read this .much more meaningful to me know..like the GLUT4 info..will have to research this..do strongly however believe in th benefits of intermittent fasting so would be contra to the skipping meal advice offered...agree with impacts ar different per individual