Welcome!

Options
Impishme909
Impishme909 Posts: 724 Member
@Allaesa72 & @maxpower351 Thank you for joining me! I look forward to working with you both! If you're willing to share I'd love to know if you have a specific activity/sport you're involved in/fighting to get back to.

Replies

• Allaesa72
    Allaesa72 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome 😊 I haven't had a chance to check out the group yet. I'm working towards being strong and healthy in my older age. I want to be able to continue with my Camp Gladiator workouts. Currently my sciatica is acting up and I don't know what my prognosis is at this point. Will find out at a Dr appt tomorrow. 🤞
  • filmgal30
    filmgal30 Posts: 3,993 Member
    Options
    I hope you don’t mind that I joined, though I’m not sure what this group will be like, but everyone needs support. I have Chronic Kidney disease, Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis, and Type 2 diabetes (pretty controlled most of the time). I had a kidney transplant on 9/11/21 and I’m trying to find my new norm of what I can or can’t do. A few years back I broke bones in both feet so I have plates in both feet that affect my flexibility and balance. I have some diabetic neuropathy which also affects balance. I have an a/v fistula in my left arm so I’m not supposed to lift more than 5 lb weights with that arm. And because of the new kidney I’m told I shouldn’t lift/push more than 50lbs. I’m trying to lose more weight and get stronger, but struggle with finding appropriate strength exercises I can do. So just being in a group that wants to persevere through chronic illness/age issues is nice.
  • Impishme909
    Impishme909 Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    @filmgal30 You're absolutely in the right place.
    I think we get so much bad advice about taking medication and "slowing down" that we actually undermine our own health sometimes with the best of intentions. You are battling multiple dragons! The fact that you're still looking for ways to lose weight and get stronger says a lot about you. I am not a doctor or personal trainer or anything (translation: "not a professional"), but I am a former Army medic, a credentialed high school science & PE teacher (with my favorite class being Anatomy & Physiology), and I have an MA, which I only mention because it helped me learn to excel at research. I have a huge interest in holistic health and functional medicine, as well as living my best life.

I hope you'll find this a safe place to learn, share, collaborate, and get/give encouragement. Even though the level of the goal may be different, we all share that meeting our goal(s) will improve/stabilize our quality of life.

Welcome! And, thank you for joining!
    Kim