May 4

Mrs_Hoffer
Mrs_Hoffer Posts: 5,194 Member
Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes?
Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day?
Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank?

Replies

• enlightenme3
    enlightenme3 Posts: 2,419 Member

2giqaoy09szb.png

One of the foundations of the Ultimate Accountability Challenge is to develop the habit of tracking what you consume on a daily basis. Last month @Mrs_Hoffer shared a bunch of benefits of tracking your food: Increasing mindfulness, Tracking provides you with a better understanding of your current eating habits, Tracking informs you how nutrient dense your food is, Tracking holds you accountable, Tracking helps you reach your goals, and allows you to make informed decisions of foods you enjoy, Tracking actually gives you options, Tracking allows you to plan ahead (see her post here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10860177/april-4/p1).

I don’t know about you, but whenever I’m just starting out, I have a level of enthusiasm to the task that almost gets in my way. For example, I’ll go overboard in tracking every spice, leaf of arugula, etc. which is time consuming and in the end, doesn’t have a ton of effect on my overall calories for the day. Mid-way through the journey, tracking can sometimes feel like a bit of a slog because I wasn’t planning my food for the day, or the unexpected happened (aka “snackcident”) and I wasn’t always hitting my my targets. Just like the scale number, the calorie numbers can have an emotional impact on some folks.

I’m still not fully up the ladder of competence when it comes to tracking, but it is getting easier with having a majority of the food I consume already saved to the database, being better at planning my day, being less anal about every leaf/berry/gram I eat. Dare I say it feels like a satisfying sense of accomplishment when I close out the diary every night?

Where are you on the Competency Ladder when it comes to tracking?

What learnings have you had to get you from one step to the next?

Looking forward to reading your responses - Marisa
  • donna25trinity
    donna25trinity Posts: 2,977 Member
    Pass day 2
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,364 Member
    I am at ~ Step 2.5 ( working on actively re-establishing conscious competence ) Already having multi-years of entries in my "Recent / Favourites " (aka most commonly reused), a relatively unexciting level of variety, and next to no social life ( so "special occasion pass days" are easily pre-identified well in advance) are all certainly helping.

What makes it difficult right now is those 6 weeks or so of conscious (and DELIBERATE ) INcompetence which weakened the former level of Unconscious Competence / Habit. Half of March while overseas followed by very inconsistent effort (when there was any effort at all ) through most of April.
  • snowshoe072
    snowshoe072 Posts: 4,453 Member
    I track my food everyday not every tsp of spice or leaf of lettuce but the majority of the good and the occasional not so good. It’s accountability and why cheat myself? My logging varies sometimes it’s pre-logged other times it’s after the meal or at the end of the day. Most of the time it’s as I go pre logging is more of a drag for me and I am good enough know I know what my sizes need to be but do keep the food scale close by with extra batteries!!
  • Caramel_Apple
    Caramel_Apple Posts: 2,174 Member
    Wednesday
    yes x3
    0/3 pass days used
  • Winner_in_Life
    Winner_in_Life Posts: 955 Member
    3xyes. Day 19 of Epic II + 2.5km walk + 9km run
  • tahm42
    tahm42 Posts: 4,744 Member
    yes x 3
    0/3 pass days used
  • snowshoe072
    snowshoe072 Posts: 4,453 Member
    ✅✅✅ a nice feeling
  • eokoro
    eokoro Posts: 626 Member
    May 4th

Exercise: yes
    Tracked: Yes
    Calories: yes
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,747 Member
    4 May
    ✅✅✅
    I think learning has to be the spice of life. Really enjoy finding out how unconsciously incompetent I am. 😂😂😀
  • Maggie_MJ
    Maggie_MJ Posts: 654 Member
    @enlightenme3 Love this!
    "Everyday is an opportunity to improve and celebrate victories won, no matter how small"
    • Yes, 12,000+ steps, 307 zone minutes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • jmu1965
    jmu1965 Posts: 968 Member
    May 4th. 1/3 pass days used
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes. Pahla B cardio
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes
    I would put myself at a 3. There are times when I don’t put everything in. I like it better when I eat at home and can do my own cooking to make tracking easier.