What's On Your Mind Today?

Options

Replies

• bookieNJ
    bookieNJ Posts: 3,532 Member
    Options
    @lesdarts180 -I hope you have a good trip!
  • snowshoe072
    snowshoe072 Posts: 4,533 Member
    Options
    @Mrs_Hoffer my thoughts are with you hope for a speedy recovery in my thoughts Kate
  • snowshoe072
    Options
    All three done a busy day my new adventure of speed walking is getting on a more consistent basis of 3mph a hot walk at lunch on the horse track. I missed my tai chi this morning so I felt out of sorts most of the day so on my list for tomorrow.
  • biketheworld
    biketheworld Posts: 2,237 Member
    Options
    @Mrs_Hoffer - oh my goodness I hope your eye gets better soon. That must be so frustrating! Talk about terrible timing.

@lesdarts180 - “revenge travel” is the term I’ve used for the number of people booking trips and hitting the road right now. I inquired about a spring 2023 trip to the Netherlands and was told they are already almost completely full. I snagged one of the last spots, even though I really didn’t want to book for a couple months.
  • SilverSage1
    SilverSage1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I travelled to Paris in November, and we are going back in July. Then to Sevilla in October. Hopefully, Ireland and Greece in 2023.

Truthfully, I chose not to track my food while in Paris. I just enjoyed the experience. I figured A week wouldn’t destroy all of my losses, and I dealt with the 2 extra pounds when I got home.

@lesdarts180 enjoy your trip! Take in all of the experiences including the foods. Any minor blimp can be expunged when you get back
  • ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    @Mrs_Hoffer Wow - what a problem to be dealing with. That's a new one for me, eye stuff just sounds rough though. Wishing you a speedy recovery as it's not easy to go through something like that when you have the other stuff to get done that's on your plate
  • jamcnewman
    jamcnewman Posts: 4,056 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone - not sure what is happening with MFP now, but I find it no longer adds my cardio to my wall post when I do my second workout. 🙄 It does record the exercise in my tracker (both as a diary entry, and by increasing the total Calories Out). Anyone else having this issue? This is a new one for me as it was working fine up until they “fixed” things last week. I have checked and my Apple Health is still connected to MFP (as evidenced by the updates to the diary; it is just the wall postings not working now). Thanks for any tips you might have.

nczwc059js6y.jpeg
  • enlightenme3
    enlightenme3 Posts: 2,498 Member
    Options
    @jamcnewman - I usually do two workouts a day that get recorded through my apple watch. First one is dance/jazzercise and second is a walk. I find that on my phone, I usually have to go to the apple activity app first and then bring up MFP to have it recorded. It usually shows up. However, it doesn't always show up on the web version of MFP. I have to then close the IOS MFP app, restart, reload the web page several times and then it will show up. Don't know if that helps you or not.
  • SilverSage1
    SilverSage1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I’ve only been here 2 weeks and I’ve never seen all of my Apple Watch exercise come through. I thought it was just something I had to learn to understand. I do a minimum Of 600 exercise calories a day, and MFP only picks up a couple hundred
  • jamcnewman
    Options
    Thanks @SilverSage1 — It sure is a flaky app and doesn’t play well with others. 🤷🏼‍♀️

@enlightenme3 Tried all that (and more 😐). I sought out the “help” and followed the instructions. Uninstalled; restarted my phone; installed the app again. Had to, as always, reset all my goals and percentages for macros, etc.

Now it has double recorded all my activity on the Diary but still not updated the posting to the “wall” (which it would always do before the “improvements” were made last week). Not sure if I should even bother to submit a ticket as they just seem to close them after a week despite the effort you made to point out the issues. Sigh. 😞
  • jamcnewman
    Options
    Today is a day to celebrate, because it was the day to have the studded winter tires removed! 🛞🛞🛞🛞

We have had a deluge of rain in the past 16 hours (which we rarely get) and I am watching the tree leaves open in front of my eyes (my itchy, watery, tree leaf pollen allergic eyes 🥹). May 21 is predicted to be our last snow of the season and a low of +1C (34F). After that, the starter seedlings can be moved into the ground. 🌱🌱🌱
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,066 Member
    Options
    @Mrs_Hoffer So sorry about your eye problem. I hope it clears up quickly.
  • KCJen
    KCJen Posts: 1,089 Member
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Over the weekend, I was thinking about how I am trying to change from "old diet ways" to a "sustainable healthy lifestyle". The change of 1200 calories to determining my healthy goal weight BMR and using that number as my daily calorie allotment has made a tremendous impact! I am so glad and thankful to everyone that gave advice and helped me work that out.

That got me thinking about my treadmill goal I have set, which is my "old" goal of building back up to 3 miles a day on my treadmill. I usually need 45 minutes for 3 miles with stretching and warm-up and cool down, and my brain is already fighting that regarding planning daily treadmill time in my schedule. As I am job hunting, I am trying to figure out if I should do the treadmill first thing in the morning or wait until I get home and get on the treadmill at night. For some reason, my brain is ok with 30 minutes on the treadmill in the morning, but when I start to think of 45 minutes in the morning on the treadmill - my brain starts panicking and freaking out that I don't have enough time and I will have to get up at 4 am to get everything done.

So I started to entertain the idea of changing my treadmill goal. Instead of trying for the old way of 3 miles a day, I am going to set my new goal to 2 miles a day on the treadmill and aim for 30 minutes. Once I hit that goal then I can adjust maybe to build up to 3 miles a day. I need to adjust and adapt to the new way of things. I am no longer on the cycle of 1200-calorie diets with 3 miles on my treadmill a day, then stop once I reach my goals, which then over time I gain it all back and start all over. I need to do what works and what will be sustainable for me to do day-in and day-out as a healthy lifestyle. I am no longer doing what worked "then". I need to do what will work "now". This is now, not then - I need to adjust and adapt.

It helps me to share my thoughts. I am off to the treadmill now and then finish my interview prep book later in the day. I hope everyone has a great week and let's reach our weekly goals together!!

pmpigsaygrho.jpg

• KCJen
    KCJen Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Just found a great encouraging post

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10857625/success-after-50-please-share/p1

It is the "Success after 50 please share" post that has been in the top recent list on the message boards. I am 51 and this has helped me not worry about my age and losing weight. By the stories in that post, weight loss is possible at any age! Just wanted to share with the UAC. :)
  • enlightenme3
    Options
    jamcnewman wrote: »
    Thanks @SilverSage1 — It sure is a flaky app and doesn’t play well with others. 🤷🏼‍♀️

@enlightenme3 Tried all that (and more 😐). I sought out the “help” and followed the instructions. Uninstalled; restarted my phone; installed the app again. Had to, as always, reset all my goals and percentages for macros, etc.

Now it has double recorded all my activity on the Diary but still not updated the posting to the “wall” (which it would always do before the “improvements” were made last week). Not sure if I should even bother to submit a ticket as they just seem to close them after a week despite the effort you made to point out the issues. Sigh. 😞

@jamcnewman - today I got the double recording of my Apple Health activity. I had to go in and manually delete one of the recordings both on my phone and on the web. Are you still having this problem?
  • enlightenme3
    Options
    jamcnewman wrote: »

@jamcnewman - today I got the double recording of my Apple Health activity. I had to go in and manually delete one of the recordings both on my phone and on the web. Are you still having this problem?

And had I waited maybe 30 minutes it would have all worked itself out. Now it thinks I haven't done any workouts! I'll wait until later to manually add.
  • jamcnewman
    Options
    @enlightenme3 Isn't it so annoying? It has settled down again and every time I delete the app to reinstall (like the troubleshooting recommends), I could kick myself. Everything has to be adjusted and reset (and it usually takes 2-3 tries before the changes “stick”. I am choosing to just ignore the past double entries as when I attempted any adjustment it did the same as for you. I can see the “true account” of my activity in the Apple Fitness app and will use that when I see my dietician this week. I use the free edition of MFP, but feel for those that pay for this (and have the same experience).
  • snowshoe072
    Options
    Late to the party but I always add my exercise myself then I know it gets there I have it in various places such as zones and I have a wahoo cadence tracker on my spin bike. I then put that data in a app that calculates out calorie and speed which is almost spot on phone the display on my spin bike. Same goes for my rower. I use the free mfp also glad I don’t pay for it
  • ideas2
    ideas2 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    @KCJen
    In his book ¨Atomic Habits¨ the author recommends that the habit you build to start out with be actually something too easy, that takes less than 2 minutes, that will really become virtually automatic and your body does it without thought as part of your routine. He gives the example of a woman whose ¨habit¨ is taking the taxi to the gym. She does that without hardly thinking about it because she does that everyday. Once she is there her usual routine generally ends up being at least partially a series of habits, each one signalling the next. Usually, after some years adding to her routine, her routine is a two hour workout that starts before 6 a.m., but the basic habit which is the lynchpin for it is ¨I take a taxi to the gym.¨

He talks about trying to make the simple signal habit an absolute habit-- for example you get on the treadmill, either at the same time/day or immediately after a different habit in your routine as the signal. You only ¨have¨to force yourself to do the two minutes every day (or at another frequent regular pattern like that). You absolutely do not pressure yourself to do more, but once you have done two minutes you will probably want to do more most days--- you probably are not going to want to stop 2 minutes in many days. You become a person that has a habit of walking on the treadmill everyday--- then you extend the time.

As I read your post it made me think that in this case ¨less would be better¨ --- just working on making walking on that treadmill every single morning a habit instead of walking for long enough that it requires true effort.