Countdown Activity 8 - Triggers & Red Light Foods

Options
kaliswalker
kaliswalker Posts: 1,259 Member
Trigger Food - one that gets you off course; you are not truly hungry yet you are eating and eating!

Make a plan to manage the triggers that cause you to overeat - defined as eating and drinking more calories than you need, causing you to gain weight.

We crave whatever we ingest. For example - Eat sugar, crave sugar. Stop eating sugar, stop craving sugar. It seems too easy. Too simple. Too good to be true. But it's the truth!

Trigger Situation - where you are, who you are with and what you are doing when this happens? Example – you are home alone, watching TV and you eat a cookie, then another and soon you are looting the kitchen for anything that looks good. Or you had good intentions about going out for a calorie appropriate dinner with a friend, but a high-calorie appetizer, then an entree, and a big dessert landed in front of you. Or are you at a party wolfing down appetizers?

Regardless soon after you regret your actions and don’t even want to think about how many calories you just consumed! You tell yourself, I know better, why did I do that? I won’t do that again!

Let's assess the Triggers -

List ALL your red light foods (trigger foods). Red Light Foods in Overeaters Anonymous are - those which you know you cannot eat safely without losing control and eating too much. Is it a snack food or part of a meal? Are they sweet or salty? Hot, cold or room temperature? Processed foods? Carbs, comfort foods? Five basic tastes – sweet, sour, bitter, salty and umami (savory).

What are the sources of the Triggers Foods? Is it a fast-food restaurant? Drive-thru? Food you order in? Grocery store? Convenience store? Your pantry? Meals with family or friends? Co-worker's birthday cake? Treats from others? Costco samples? You?

Describe the most common situations where you reach for the trigger foods or snacks. What room are you in, what time is it, what are you doing, who is with you, and how do you feel? Are you tired? Are you eating to feel better? Are you rewarding yourself? Soothing yourself? Eating from habit ie. Watch TV & eat? Are you bored? By getting the food how does it make what you are doing better? What should you be doing at that time?

Do you see a pattern? What types of foods are you reaching for? When you start to eat it are you already looking for seconds? Does easy access make a difference? How can you better handle the situations to avoid the triggers and not binge or eat more than you should?

For example I love turkey dressing, and am compelled to keep returning to the fridge (scene of the crime) to eat it till it's all gone. That is a trigger food for me. Now when I make turkey dressing, I make enough for one meal, no leftovers, and I enjoy the meal and feel in control of my eating.

This is what the assignment is about - how will you not do that again? Can you pick a replacement habit or behavior that will cause you to pause, and think do I want to do this, and why? Maybe it would help to step away from the trigger - drink water, go for a walk, phone a friend, go outside, look out the window, brush your teeth, go to bed early, or play with your pet? Be consistent so you can develop the new habit.

Write out your strategy to avoid the Triggers. Maybe it’s baby steps to get you started or moderation. Don’t be a perfectionist, just get started.

Maybe it's only certain foods and you can make your own food rule "I do not eat
, it's a trigger food for me". "I will not buy it this month."

By doing this planning activity many times, I identified my problem foods. My Red Light Foods - appetizers, desserts, chips, and crackers of any kind. For 8 years I have not eaten any kind of chips or crackers. Also, I have not eaten in movie theaters or eaten Costco samples for 8 years. For example - because I do not eat crackers, I stopped buying blocks of cheese because I don't have crackers to put it on.

This year I overcame my worst habit of eating when I can't sleep. I will NOT reward myself with food for being up late. I acknowledge that I am not truly hungry, I want to eat for a distraction. Now I have the habit of going into the guest room and back to bed. I listen to an audiobook or watch a youtube show on my phone, but usually I go back to sleep quickly.

Maybe it would help you to 1) record food in the Food Diary before you eat it. If you still want it after seeing the calories 2) wait 20 minutes before you eat it, but be mindful of what you are doing or 3) find an activity to distract yourself 4) have a pre-made snack of under 200 calories to eat instead

Summary

List Trigger situations - where you are, who you are with and foods (red light) that trigger your over consumption of calories.
My triggers are – ?
Plan - replacement habit or behavior

My positive behaviors – ?

Have you developed habits to help you cope with your triggers? What did you learn from doing this assignment? Anything else to add?

My experience tells me - Getting rid of triggers... works better than willpower.

If you are catching up on Countdown Activities, here are the links. (Right click to open a new tab.)

Countdown Activity 1- Information & Blog https://bit.ly/3NA5M7t
Countdown Activity 2 - Exercise https://bit.ly/3NE1wU9
Countdown Activity 3 - Healthy Eating & Nutrition Plan https://bit.ly/3ugJrVo
Countdown Activity 4 - Introduce Yourself https://bit.ly/3OXeXj5
Countdown Activity 5 - Win Today Checklist https://bit.ly/3yaYHEv
Countdown Activity 6 - Win Tomorrow Checklist https://bit.ly/3yB0iVw
Countdown Activity 7 - What Can I Do In 8 Weeks – Motivation https://bit.ly/3Iq3LJR

Replies

• Lessennan
    Lessennan Posts: 2,961 Member
    Options
    My triggers
    Stressors I can’t change
    Overtired
    Overworked

If I can get the paper off I’ll eat it.
    If I can’t see it it’s not available
  • bookieNJ
    bookieNJ Posts: 3,796 Member
    Options
    Mine are cookies or most sugary sweets-I can avoid them-just need to do it.
  • ohnogoldens
    ohnogoldens Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    List Trigger situations - where you are, who you are with and foods (red light) that trigger your over consumption of calories.
    My triggers are –the cafe at work when they have fish and chips; old fashioned plain donuts;
    Plan - Always bring lunch on Fridays. Do not go shopping at the store that bakes their own donuts!

My positive behaviors – remembering to bring nutrisystem meals to work

Have you developed habits to help you cope with your triggers? I have not been going to the cafe at lunch, instead I do the lunch time Whole Health on line courses the VA offers.
    What did you learn from doing this assignment? That I have done pretty good!
    Anything else to add? I can do this and think I am going to enjoy this challenge.

• marg750me
    marg750me Posts: 2,830 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Stress-I get very hungry or stomach bubbles and I need to eat to settle it
    Foods- chips
  • hicim705
    hicim705 Posts: 5,300 Member
    Options
    My triggers are:
    1. Evening snacking
    2. Ice Cream!!
    Plan - replacement habit or behavior ~ I struggle with the evening snacking, yet and haven't found the 'magic' to control it yet (obviously ~ I keep repeating the Challenges over and over again; one of these days I'll 'get it right'). Ice Cream: Just don't have it in the freezer; If it is harder to get, it is more likely that you will stay away from it.

My positive behaviors – ? Being mindful that late night 'snacking' is more out of boredom (or even frustration of the day and not true hunger).

Have you developed habits to help you cope with your triggers? What did you learn from doing this assignment? Anything else to add? ~ Unfortunately, I'm a work in progress and don't really have anything 'of value' to add here. Hopefully, I work on this and will stumble across something that WILL help me!
    Heidi (hicim705)
    2022 Summer 5% Challenge
    Overall Co-Leader, 2022 Summer 5% Challenge hosted on MFP
  • losemicaroline
    losemicaroline Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    My triggers are exhaustion, stress, and boredom (and sometimes, celebrations).

Trigger foods are many, but those little white cheese crackers are absolutely off the table any time. If I have one, I will eat the entire box. It's difficult for me to pass on sweets, especially cakes and cookies. These foods are not kept in the house.

I agree with you, @kaliswalker: it is easier to avoid trigger foods than to maintain willpower when they are around. :) Next Sunday, I am going to a birthday party, where there will be exceptional food. I am already worried about being in the same room with the cake, but I must remember that the people are what matters.

Cheers,
    Carol (First time 5% challenger--Fit Force)
  • dee107107
    dee107107 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Mine is sugar when stress and upset will start with one piece and before you know I am done done done
  • cosmiccurves
    cosmiccurves Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Great exercise!

My triggers are – stressed, overemotional, over exhausted are all major triggers for me. Even at social gatherings, I manage to stay within my limits.
    Plan - self-care! I can take a bath, do my nails, do a face mask, read, snuggle up with my husband, etc.
    My positive behaviors – I have the tendency that when I mess up, instead of beating myself up about it, I try to understand what my thought process was at the time and figure out what I can do better the next time I am faced with a similar issue.

YRpPbcw.png
  • itladyee
    itladyee Posts: 4,208 Member
    Options
    My triggers are:

Salty, Crispy snacks (Crackers, Cheetos, Chips)
    Plan: Don't buy them. Keep them out of the house.

Red Wine
    Plan: Have to have had at least 64 ounces of water, then for each glass of wine, drink the same in water. (this has been a plan that I haven't been following, until today!🙂

Cheese (and crackers)
    Plan: For a treat - measure and track and not every day (1 - 2 ounces of cheese and these special crackers I found at Caputo's).

Comfort Foods - I will (no question) overeat them
    Plan: Don't cook them. Exception - maybe for the holidays, measure and track.

Dining Out - too many temptations
    Plan: When in weight loss mode, I keep it to a minimum. What good is going to a restaurant that specializes in something very tasty to order a chicken breast and veggies???

Getting rid of triggers... works better than willpower.
    This is so true - so I try to eliminate the triggers or make a plan for how to live with them.

Trigger Situation- At home, with husband, watching TV. Husband suggests a cocktail, then the chips show up.....

Positive Behaviors - I honestly don't plan to be perfect. If I manage to be perfect, that's awesome but I follow the 80/20 rule, which gives me a little wiggle room and I deem it acceptable. Yes, it causes slower weight loss but I'm not in this for quick results, I'm in this for long-lasting results and a plan that I can live with.
  • therealbluenote
    therealbluenote Posts: 1,360 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Hi! I’d like to join if it’s not too late. I think I posted on the correct sign up board. If not, can someone here let me know what to do next? Thanks!
  • walkintofit
    walkintofit Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    one of my triggers: if someone in the house is eating or snacking between meals... i jump right in,no will power there.
    chocolate peanut clusters
  • DNjoys
    DNjoys Posts: 7,496 Member
    Options
    @therealbluenote , your invitation to the Mission Slimpossible team has been sent and is waiting for you. Here is the link to our team:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/143279-2022-summer-mission-slimpossible-2

I'm one of the team leaders for the Slimpossibles and have sent you a friend request. As soon as you accept that, I'll send you a message with information and links to help you get started. So glad to have you joining us!

Dee
    Mission Slimpossible Passenger Service Agent (Motivational Leader)
  • itladyee
    edited July 2022
    Options
    It did double post... ignore me....and...

hwzbljw49fdf.gif
  • itladyee
    Options
    dpefmat0z70e.jpg
    Did I mention my husband as a trigger? Look what he brought home. Cell phone in pic just to see how big these are. From some specialty shop.
  • RockinRobyn672
    RockinRobyn672 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    @itladyee yummy! I'm with you. My hubby can be a trigger too. LOL
  • RockinRobyn672
    RockinRobyn672 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    My worst triggers happen late at night. It's 10 PM-ish, after dinner, I may have had wine or beer at dinner, and hubby has fallen asleep on the sofa. I'm watching TV alone. I'm not sure if it's boredom or what, and it may be healthy snacks, but I start getting into whatever we have, maybe a slice of deli turkey, a bite of pimiento cheese, a pack of 100 calorie skinny pop popcorn, etc., most likely while watching one or more episodes of a TV series.

Plan - Just go to bed at a decent hour. Don't stay up late. Watch those shows on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon

Things that have worked - have cut out trigger foods over the years. We may eat donuts for breakfast one morning every once in a while, but only buy a couple each. We don't buy multiple servings of the sweets, etc. that are hard to stop eating and/or may cause a binge. I do keep Ghirardelli 72% dark chocolate squares in the house and we may have one each after dinner. They're very satisfying. More than not, I go to bed on time, and try to avoid staying up late, especially because I work and have to be up bright and early the next day. But sometimes .... well, the trigger gets pulled!

Anything else to add? I have cut out alcohol during the week for the most part, which has helped a lot. We went to a favorite bar last night that had live music. Instead of water, I thought to order soda water with a splash of cranberry. It was very refreshing, I didn't feel like I was missing out, AND, it was extra hydration for my bike ride today. :smiley: