Countdown Activity 8 - Triggers & Red Light Foods

Options
kaliswalker
kaliswalker Posts: 1,234 Member
A trigger refers to something that affects your emotional state. You loss your ability to remain present in the moment and be in control. It can cause specific thought patterns and influence your behavior and actions.

Make a plan to manage the triggers that cause you to overeat - defined as eating and drinking more calories than you need, causing you to gain weight.

Trigger Food - one that gets you off course; you are not truly hungry yet you keep eating and eating! We crave whatever we ingest. For example - Eat sugar, crave sugar. Stop eating sugar, stop craving sugar. It seems too easy. Too simple. Too good to be true. But it's the truth!

Trigger Situation - where you are, who you are with and what you are doing when this happens? Example – you are home alone, watching TV and you eat a cookie, then another and soon you are looting the kitchen for anything that looks good. Or you had good intentions about going out for a calorie appropriate dinner with a friend, but a high-calorie appetizer, then an entree, and a big dessert landed in front of you. Or are you at a party wolfing down appetizers? You were triggered!

Regardless soon after you regret your actions and don’t even want to think about how many calories you just consumed! You tell yourself, I know better, why did I do that? I won’t do that again!

Let's assess the Triggers -

List ALL your red light foods (trigger foods). Red Light Foods in Overeaters Anonymous are - those which you know you cannot eat safely without losing control and eating too much. Is it a snack food or part of a meal? Are they sweet or salty? Hot, cold or room temperature? Processed foods? Carbs, comfort foods? Five basic tastes – sweet, sour, bitter, salty and umami (savory).

What are the sources of the Triggers Foods? Is it a fast-food restaurant? Drive-thru? Food you order in? Grocery store? Convenience store? Your pantry? Meals with family or friends? Co-worker's birthday cake? Treats from others? Costco samples? You?

Describe the most common situations where you reach for the trigger foods or snacks. What room are you in, what time is it, what are you doing, who is with you, and how do you feel? Are you tired? Are you lonesome? Are you eating to feel better? Are you rewarding yourself? Soothing yourself? Eating from habit ie. Watch TV & eat? Are you bored? By getting the food how does it make what you are doing better? What should you be doing at that time?

Do you see a pattern? What types of foods are you reaching for? When you start to eat it are you already looking for seconds? Does easy access make a difference? How can you better handle the situations to avoid the triggers and not binge or to eat more than you should?

For example I love turkey dressing, and am compelled to keep returning to the fridge (scene of the crime) to eat it till it's all gone. That is a trigger food for me. Now when I make turkey dressing, I make enough for one meal, no leftovers, and I enjoy the meal and feel in control of my eating.

This is what the assignment is about - how will you not do that again? Can you pick a replacement habit or behavior that will cause you to pause, and think do I want to do this, and why? Maybe it would help to step away from the trigger - drink water, go for a walk, phone a friend, go outside, look out the window, brush your teeth, go to bed early, or play with your pet? Be consistent so you can develop the new habit.

Write out your strategy to avoid the Triggers. Maybe it’s baby steps to get you started or moderation. Don’t be a perfectionist, just get started.

Maybe it's only certain foods and you can make your own food rule "I do not eat XXXXX, it's a trigger food for me". "I will not buy it this month."

By doing this planning activity many times, I identified my problem foods. My Red Light Foods - appetizers, desserts, chips, and crackers of any kind. For 8 years I have not eaten any kind of chips or crackers. Also, I have not eaten in movie theaters or eaten Costco samples for 9 years. For example - because I do not eat crackers, I stopped buying blocks of cheese because I don't have crackers to put it on.

This year I overcame my worst trigger/habit of eating when I can't sleep. I will NOT reward myself with food for being up late. I acknowledge that I am not truly hungry, I want to eat for a distraction. Now I have the habit of going into the guest room and back to bed. I listen to an audiobook or watch a youtube show on my phone, but usually I go back to sleep quickly.

Maybe it would help you to 1) record food in the Food Diary before you eat it. Do you still want it after seeing the calories 2) wait 20 minutes before you eat it, but be mindful of what you are doing or 3) find an activity to distract yourself 4) have a pre-made snack of under 200 calories to eat instead

Summary

List Trigger situations - where you are? who you are with?
Trigger foods (red light) that cause overconsumption of calories.
Plan - replacement habit or behavior

My positive behaviors – ?

Have you developed habits to help you cope with your triggers? What did you learn from doing this assignment? Anything else to add?

My experience tells me - Getting rid of triggers... works better than willpower.

If you are catching up on Countdown Activities

Countdown Activity 1- Information & Blog
Countdown Activity 2 - Exercise
Countdown Activity 3 - Healthy Eating & Nutrition Plan
Countdown Activity 4 - Introduce Yourself
Countdown Activity 5 - Win Today Checklist
Countdown Activity 6 - Win Tomorrow Checklist
Countdown Activity 7 - What Can I Do In 8 Weeks – Motivation

Replies

• kaliswalker
    kaliswalker Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    In July I had covid and lost my sense of taste and smell. Some of it has returned, but because I don't get enough satisfaction out of the food I eat, I want to eat and eat and eat. It's caused havoc with my diet. I am considering keto.
  • Retired_Sue
    Retired_Sue Posts: 11,277 Member
    Options
    I don't have more than a couple of foods that I will over eat that we normally keep in the house - fries and wheat crackers.
    With fries I have to measure my portion and not "snitch" any more from the air fryer tray! When eating out and having fries, I really need to pay attention to my satiety and stop eating them when I know that I am full.
    Crackers I will generally measure out my portion and stick to it but there are times when I will eat from the box and not pay attention to serving size - when I am overly tired or not feeling well.
    If I am not sleeping at night, I reach for the box of crackers mainly because I usually AM hungry. I need to find an alternative to satisfy that hunger or measure out a portion and stick to it.
  • Dianedoessmiles1
    Dianedoessmiles1 Posts: 12,250 Member
    Options
    ICE CREAM!! ICE CREAM!! ICE CREAM!!!
  • hicim705
    hicim705 Posts: 5,258 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Summary

List Trigger situations - where you are? who you are with?
    Trigger foods (red light) that cause overconsumption of calories.

My positive behaviors – ?

Have you developed habits to help you cope with your triggers? What did you learn from doing this assignment? Anything else to add?

My experience tells me - Getting rid of triggers... works better than willpower.

If you are catching up on Countdown Activities

Countdown Activity 1- Information & Blog
    Countdown Activity 2 - Exercise
    Countdown Activity 3 - Healthy Eating & Nutrition Plan
    Countdown Activity 4 - Introduce Yourself
    Countdown Activity 5 - Win Today Checklist
    Countdown Activity 6 - Win Tomorrow Checklist
    Countdown Activity 7 - What Can I Do In 8 Weeks – Motivation

** List Trigger situations - where you are? who you are with? ~ Stress usually triggers stress eating, OR - if I get into the 'habit' of giving in to the temptations, I tend to binge and that can be difficult to control.

** Trigger foods (red light) that cause overconsumption of calories: Ice Cream!! Ice Cream!! Ice Cream!! ~ Others might include: Christmas home-baked 'goodies', potato chips/pretzels, chips/salsa, peanut butter.

** Plan - replacement habit or behavior: Now that the holidays are over and a New Year has begun, I'm getting rid of any 'leftover' goodies. Once they (baked 'goodies', potato chips/pretzels, chips/salsa) are no longer in the house, the temptation to have them goes away. During the year, I only allow these things for special occasions. I try to do this with ice cream as well. As long as it is not in the house, it doesn't 'call my name'. Peanut butter (a staple in our home) is a little more difficult.

**My positive behaviors – ? Cleaning up the kitchen and getting rid of any 'leftover' junk. Not regularly buying those trigger-foods, if at all. The only 'triggers' that are in the house usually are: peanut butter (one of my favs) ~ Graham Crackers and Ritz Crackers (these are almost a 'must' for my husband).

**Have you developed habits to help you cope with your triggers? What did you learn from doing this assignment? Anything else to add? As 2023 began, I've been trying to **COMMIT** to a 'healthier/happier/lighter me' and I am trying to rebuild my willpower and trying to find my 'voice' to say 'NO' to these things once again. We'll see how I do in the beginning of this New Year and this renewed commitment to myself. I've renewed my commitment to exercise/eat better.

** My experience tells me - Getting rid of triggers... works better than willpower: I agree with this also, but getting rid of 100% of triggers is difficult if you want to 'live' in society and interact with people that are not on the same path as you are. I think finding that 'balance' (and that may be different for everyone) is important.

Heidi (hicim705), Captain
    2023 Winter 5% Challenge ~ 🔴🌡️RED HOTS🌡️🔴

Overall Co-Leader, Seasonal 5% Challenges (hosted on MFP)
    Co-Leader, Seasonal 5% Challenges ~ Bloggers!!
  • lavalily
    lavalily Posts: 2,076 Member
    Options
    List Trigger situations - where you are? who you are with? ** With friends on Friday night when we always go out. They aren't watching their weight, so it's too easy for me to eat what and how they do
    Trigger foods (red light) that cause overconsumption of calories. **Ice cream is my red light food, but I'm getting better with it because of my replacement habit.
    Plan - replacement habit or behavior **I discovered that I can eat one large tablespoon of ice cream and that takes care of it, rather than eat a whole big dish full. One carton of ice cream now lasts me forever!
    My positive behaviors - **taking smaller portions of whatever my friends are eating on Friday night
    My experience tell me - **I can do it, one bite at a time
  • WinterflowerSP
    WinterflowerSP Posts: 832 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    List Trigger situations -
    1. watching TV
    2. get-togethers or parties with buffet style eating
    Trigger foods (red light) that cause over-consumption of calories
    1. any regular type of chips or crunchy salty snack food
    2. mashed potatoes and gravy
    3. fatty meats such as chuck roast
    1. have reduced fat/fat-free crunchy snack substitutes available i.e. pretzels, baked chips, fat-free or healthy popcorn, prepped fresh freggies
    2. stick with my 16/8 plan and don't eat after the 8 hour window.
    3. set firm limits on portion control
    Jerri
  • marg750me
    marg750me Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    List Trigger situations, where you are, who you are with and foods (red light) that trigger your over consumption of calories.

My triggers are – chips, family foods. Thing is I don’t overeat them it takes 2-3 days to eat a 4-5oz bag

Plan - replacement habit or behavior. Stop buying them which I must do so I don’t get put on meds for diabetic

My positive behaviors – think of what I’m doing when reaching for them again

Have you developed habits to help you cope with your triggers (NO)
    What did you learn from doing this assignment? Nothing new
    Anything else to add? I will do my best to stay away from chips