How'd you do today?

Options
momwow17
momwow17 Posts: 1,653 Member
Use this thread to talk about your daily progress. Did you stay under your calorie goal, meet your exercise goal, fall off the wagon (no judgement). Acknowledging your ups and downs each day can help you stay mindful of your goals and stay on track. Remember success is not a straight line... 2 steps forward and 1 step back is still progress!

Replies

• momwow17
    Options
    January 1, 2023

Today, I weighed in at 219.8 this morning, which is +3 lbs since Christmas. I was happy it wasn't more. I stayed within my calorie goal today and I wasn't hungry at all. I made plans to go on a hike and originally planned to do a 2-hour hike, but I didn't get a lot of sleep last night and was tired. I'm proud of myself because I was tempted to cancel my hike, but instead I modified it and still got in a solid hour of exercise. I feel like today was successful and I'm pumped up to weigh in tomorrow. I'm hoping to see at least a small decrease.
  • momwow17
    Options
    January 2, 2023

I had a good weigh in this morning. I weighed 217.6. I don't think I lost 2 pounds overnight, I just think my holiday bloat is starting to come off. Woohoo! Can't wait to weigh in again tomorrow and see if this trend continues. I work at a BBQ restaurant and I had to work today. The biggest challenge I have at work is that I work 9am-3 or 4pm without a break, so no lunch, and the food is soooo good there. It is difficult to deny temptation. Today, I was extra cravy (crazy with cravings!) for some reason. I so wanted to eat everything in site like the chocolate cake, brisket, potato salad, etc. I get a shift meal and today I had planned to have some turkey and green beans, but instead I decided to give in to the cravings a little, but not too badly and I pulled chicken/no bread, with a salad and baked beans. We had a great salmon, broccoli and cauliflower dinner and I had chocolate covered pretzels for dessert. My total calorie intake for the day was 1261 and I did well on keeping my carbs low. I gained 423 calories from exercise, which was walking at work. According to MFP, if every day were like today I'd weigh 200.9 in 5 weeks! I hope its true!! Hope everyone else had a great day!
    Shannon
  • momwow17
    Options
    January 3, 2023

Amazingly I lost another 2.4 lbs overnight. This puts me under my lowest weight recently which was just before the holiday. I kind of got off track during Christmas week, so I don't think this is actually weight loss, but more likely due to losing the water retention from all the high-sodium foods and alcohol consumed last week. I do feel better, with less bloating and more energy. I am disappointed that I didn't get to take a walk today. I did go to my flute lesson, had an interview and did some grocery shopping. I can't excuse myself, though, because I did spend a lot of time on my phone and watching tv. Tomorrow I'll try to do better. I went over my calories today by about 200, but I was still under 1400 which is my max goal each day, so I consider it a win! It will be interesting to see how the scale responds tomorrow.
  • momwow17
    Options
    January 4, 2023

The batteries in my Withings scale, which is the one I usually use died last week, so I've been using my husband's scale, which weighs a little lighter than mine. Today, I finally got around to putting batteries in mine and the result was what looks like a 1.7 lb weight gain from yesterday. [Sigh...] Its ok, because I know this is a more accurate weight and I still am on track for a fairly large loss this week :wink: I had to work today, and since I've had such bad cravings at work, I had a little larger than usual breakfast. It really helped. I got through the day and stayed within my calories. When I completed my diary tonight, MFP calculated that if everyday is like today, I will weigh 198.00 in 5 weeks! I'm so looking forward to February! It would be great to reach ONEderland by Valentine's day! Hope everyone else is doing well.
  • momwow17
    Options
    January 5, 2023

Today was a busy day. I had an interview at 8am, so had to wake up at 6:30 to get ready. I didn't want to feel sluggish during the interview, so I decided on a protein shake for breakfast (180 calories). I had lunch with my dad, which we usually do on Tuesdays, but I was busy on Tuesday this week. I ordered shrimp creole, collards and pickled beets. I only ate about 1/2 the rice that comes with the shrimp creole. Then I had a dentist appointment this afternoon. I was a little hungry after the appt, so I stopped at the convenience store and bought a cookies & creme flavored protein bar. It had 12g of protein and about 160 calories. This kept me pretty satisfied until dinner, which was sweet potato, pulled pork, and broccoli. I splurged and put butter on my sweet potato which put me a few calories over my 1200 calorie goal, but still way under my 1400 calorie max, so I'm pretty happy with the day. I also managed to practice my flute for about 2 hours today, but i didn't go for a walk, even though I could have. I really need to find some motivation to get back into exercise. i keep telling myself when I lose some more weight and its easier, I'll get back into it, but that's really an excuse. Tomorrow I work, but Saturday for sure, I'm going for a long walk!
  • momwow17
    edited January 2023
    Options
    January 6, 2023

I was excited to see another pound gone today. I weighed in at 215.5, which is where I was on Christmas eve. Unfortunately during the week between Christmas and New Year's I indulged too much and it caused me to have a set back, but now I feel I'm back on track and ready to get this weight off! I was in a hurry today so I had a protein shake for breakfast. I chose Turkey and a side salad for lunch (I was proud of the choice, because I really wanted beef brisket). I had a 4oz portion of peach cobbler at work and was stunned at the 200 calories it added to my day... not doing that again. That's one thing I love about tracking, at least for me, it helps me compare my choices and make better ones, for instance, I can have a small sweet for 200 calories or a whole lean cuisine meal for about 200 calories. Sometimes I go for the sweet, but at least i know I'm making that choice mindfully. I made a pot roast and broccoli for dinner, and was satisfied with just one helping. In the past I would have gone back for seconds. Now, there are leftovers to look forward to for tomorrow! I didn't put it in my diary, but I made a chocolate cake for my dad's birthday and I did like the spatula! I will have to have a piece tomorrow, but to offset it, I plan to go on a hike. I'm not too worried about the impact on my weight loss because its been a good week and I'm not trying to lose weight too quickly. Anywhoo... Hope you all had good days, too!
  • momwow17
    Options
    January 8, 2023

Yesterday was my dads birthday and I baked him a chocolate cake and had lunch with him. The whole thing put me way over my calories and today the scale was up quite a lot, but it’s ok because I’m down 3+ lbs for the first week. I know everyday can’t be perfect. It’s actually something g I’m working on, that is staying the course even when I fall off the wagon a bit. I was busy all day today cleaning the house and struggled a little with just wanting to nosh, even though I want hungry at all. Im happy to report I resisted and stated under my calories. I had a grilled chicken salad for dinner so hoping I see it I. The scale tomorrow. I’ve got a super busy week ahead. Hopefully it will keep my mind off good and I can have another good week this week. In the past cravings have subsided after 3 weeks, so I just need to get through these next couple of weeks. Hope everything is going well for you all!
  • momwow17
    Options
    Sorry for all the typos.. doing this on my phone and I’m all thumbs! 😂
  • dianastepheny
    dianastepheny Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    @momwow17 I give you a lot of credit. I don’t know how I would fare if I worked at the restaurant where you work. That’s a lot of self control you have! You seem to have everything under control though and you’re off to a great start for the new year!
  • momwow17
    Options
    @momwow17 I give you a lot of credit. I don’t know how I would fare if I worked at the restaurant where you work. That’s a lot of self control you have! You seem to have everything under control though and you’re off to a great start for the new year!

Diana, thanks for your kind words. Right now, I am pretty motivated and fortunately the restaurant has some really healthy, lean and delicious protein choices, which I've been eating for my shift meal, but even though I feel in control and motivated, I'm struggling to stay on track. I've done this so many times, that is, start out great, lose 5-10, or maybe even 50-60 lbs then just quit and gain it back. I don't know why, but I'm trying to figure it out. I'm currently reading a book on self-sabotage and one thing that resonates is I have an over-indulgent and perfectionist personality type, which they describe as "all in" or "all out." For this type, moderation is difficult, so overindulgent types start something like weight loss all in, lose a lot of weight, then have a bad day, which turns into just falling off the wagon completely. We are constantly saying, "I'll start again on Monday." Unfortunately, this describes me to a tee :( This is why I started this group. I'm hoping the accountability and connection will help me finally realize my goals. I'm also trying to do things a little differently. When I've lost weight in the past I track and stay within 1200 calories religiously, but this time I've given myself some wiggle room and my goal is 1200-1400 calories/day. I'm also trying to focus more on short term goals. I'm hoping this helps me practice moderation and that will lead to long-term weight loss and maintenance. One step at a time, right!
  • momwow17
    edited January 2023
    Options
    January 9, 2023

I'm writing this a day late, but wanted to go ahead and check in. I started off the day with a 1/2 lb loss on the scales. YAY! I had a good day food-wise and stayed under 1400 calories. I am constantly amazed at how MFP has made me hyper-aware of portion sizes and calories. Today, at work I ate a 4oz portion of potato salad, which is about 3/4 of a regular side portion. There are over 200 calories in just 4 oz of potato salad! That's as much as an entire lean cuisine or small lunch. Anyway, I did fit this into my calories for the day, and hopefully the craving for potato salad will be satiated for a while :) Hubby made veggie chili for dinner tonight and I added cheese and sour cream. It was a busy day, so I didn't really have time to think about being hungry or having cravings. I gained about 400 calories from walking at work, so when I completed my diary, MFP said I could weigh 198 in 5 weeks if everyday were the same! Getting close now!
  • dianastepheny
    Options
    @momwow17 I’ve played the weight game many times too. The last time (2020) I lost almost 60 pounds of the over 100 I need to lose. I swore I wouldn’t gain it back…that if I lost control, I would never let it go past a 5 lb gain. I mean, why would I do that to myself? Fast forward to today. All of the weight back, plus a bonus 5 pounds. <sigh>
  • momwow17
    Options
    Hey everyone, sorry for not posting yesterday about the day... things are kind of crazy with my interviews, and with the stress, I've eaten a little beyond my calories, but not too bad. Today woke up to a .3 lb gain. I'm hoping to lose that plus another pound by the weekend. Trying to take the attitude, its not a sprint, its a marathon. hope everyone else is staying on track!
  • dianastepheny
    Options
    So, today I’m “back in control “, but yesterday…not so much. My willpower is going to be tested on a daily basis. Three doors down from where I work is a new business, They make those little deep-fried mini doughnuts with sugar or cinnamon like you get at the fairgrounds. That’s literally all they make. They specialize in it, and they’re really good. I managed to ignore them for the past week or so. But, then they were passing them out at work. To be polite, I took one. That’s not a lot, and I thought I’d just be fine afterwards. BUT NOPE… when I got out of work I bought more to have when getting together with my friend and my aunt. I rationalized it as getting dessert for the evening. That was quite the departure from the fruit I was originally getting. Now I have to hope a hard day doesn’t derail me every night when I leave work. I just need to picture telling my 12 year old (who I promised I would get healthy) that I folded and got deep-fried doughnuts. That should stop me ( hopefully).
  • momwow17
    Options
    Hi Diana, I'm really glad you enjoyed the donuts! I know there are lots of schools of thought when it comes to weight loss, and I'm certainly not an expert, but I think its important to allow yourself to treat yourself and eat the things you enjoy without feeling bad about it. Moderation is key (something I struggle with and trying to learn.) Those donuts sound delicious and it sounds like you ate them in moderation, one at the office and the rest shared with others. You can always adjust your other meals to accommodate. Sometimes, I'll skip a meal or eat 100-calorie snack in place of a meal, so I can fit in my treats. There's also adding in a walk or exercise video to earn back those calories, and I try to think of my calorie goal as a weekly amount, so today I might go over 200 calories, but as long as I have a deficit for the week I feel I've met my goals. It helps you have your son to keep you accountable, but make sure you're doing this for you, too! I read something that stuck with me, treat yourself like someone you love and are responsible for. I hope you have a stellar weekend! Keep up the great work!
  • momwow17
    Options
    So, this week I've let stress derail my motivation and today I weighed in at 216.5, which is a .10 gain from last week's weigh in. I'm kind of bummed, because I don't feel like I ate poorly, well, except for a handful of mini-candy bars on 3-4 days and I also broke down and had a few alcoholic drinks on Friday. I decided I probably can't teetotal it, but I can drink in moderation and that's ok. I think if I'd been exercising each day, I would have been ok, but since I'm not burning calories, the extra calories just add weight.

It amazes me how responsive my body is to my diet and exercise efforts. When I stay at 1200-1400 calories daily, I consistently lose 2-3 lbs per week, so I have to get in the mindset that this is a life change, not a diet, and take joy in eating clean and living healthy. And there is a lot of joy in it. I love eating healthy foods, they taste great, are very satisfying and make me feel good. I need to remind myself often that sugar and carbs just leave me feeling depressed, bloated and depleted of energy so they aren't worth the moment of pleasure I get when I eat them. Today, I decided to get back on track. So far I've had a protein shake and I'm going to eat a Lean Cuisine for lunch and go for a walk this afternoon. I hope everyone else is pumped up for a great week ahead!
  • dianastepheny
    Options
    @momwow17 I completely understand the way you feel. I need to stay away from cakes, doughnuts, cookies, etc. I feel worse when I eat them. I love healthy foods ( thank goodness), so fruits, veggies, etc aren’t an issue. It’s just allowing myself a treat every now and then vs. daily that is a constant struggle. But, we’ll get there little y little! It’s definitely a journey. 😀
  • momwow17
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I read my post from a week ago and unfortunately, I didn't follow my plan, but here I am today committing myself again to having a healthy week this week. So far, so good. I had an amazing breakfast burrito this morning made from 2 eggs, 1/4 avocado, 28g cheddar cheese, and some soffritos. Hubby and I are planning to go for a walk today. I went shopping yesterday and stocked up on fruits/veggies and lean proteins. I'm all ready to get back on it for this week! Hope everyone else is doing well, too.
  • dianastepheny
    Options
    @momwow17 Great planning and prepping. You’re completely set up for success. Hope you have a wonderful walk with hubby! Sounds like a lovely day so far.
  • momwow17
    Options
    does anyone else wake up super early when you are eating healthy and getting the right amount of exercise. In my head, I know getting up early gets you set up for a productive day, but as a night owl its very annoying to look at the clock and see 5am and know you're not going back to sleep... if this is you, how do you make the best use of the time?

This morning, I got up and did the dishes (I confess, I am one of those who leaves dirty dishes overnight). Now, I'm getting ready to put some items on Ebay that I've been procrastinating. Honestly, I do find these early morning wake up times to be some of my most productive time.

Anyway, I posted under this thread to say I'm proud of myself so far this week. I started the week at 236.2 and today I'm already at 233.2! Woohoo! Yesterday evening, after dinner even though I had eaten all my calories, I had a craving for comfort food, and I kind of gave in, but instead of eating ramen or some other unhealthy thing, I heated up a can of northern beans, added a little salt and pepper and that satisfied the craving. This is one instance when not having much unhealthy food in the cabinet worked in my favor.

I hope everyone else is having a stellar week!
    Shannon