Class and Practice log

Options
Out_of_Bubblegum
Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
edited July 2022 in Social Groups
"Your belt may serve little purpose except to hold your uniform closed, but - the active striving to prepare for testing can be a great motivator to improve, and this is the true value of rank."

--Brett Malone

Replies

• Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    Making this a general log rather than weekly for a while.

My practices recently:
    Sunday: Black Belt Class
    Mon + Tuesday: Home practice, bodyweight exercises.
    Wednesday - Came down with COVID... ugh.
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options
    That's a good idea.
    I had to skip Saturday karate the week before last because of work. But this past Saturday I managed to go. We are catching up on kumite since we couldn't do much partner work through the pandemic.

I have started walking with my boyfriend on Saturdays and Sundays. He had an operation on his toe and is not very fit, so he can't walk far or fast. Still it is nice to be out in the fresh air. Plus my kids have been joining us! So that is a bonus: getting them out of the house and a dose of sunshine and oxygen!
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    Nice!

I'm finally finishing isolation - been extra careful to avoid getting the rest of the family sick, so have been stuck in 1 room of the house for almost 2 weeks now.. had a moderate but not horrible case.

Looking forward to getting back to training!
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    Saturday back to black belt class. Helping 3 students prepare for upcoming test - so did more watching than practicing. Did managed to get in some practice though - endurance will need some work to get back to normal, but overall not bad.
  • Versicolour
    Options
    Oh my word! That is hectic. I am glad you are out of isolation now. I hope you don't have any long term symptoms.

Saturday was another kumite basics class (we have a lot to catch up on and some students joined during the pandemic and so have never done any kumite). Sunday we went for another walk
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    Taught private lesson on Saturday, then to the gym Saturday night (yay - back to the gym!) - and then Black belt class on Sunday.

Overall, doing pretty well. Endurance is crap at the moment, and everything feels harder than it should... but I'm confident that will return with some work.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    Saturday was testing for 4 of the group I train with.. Overall they did fantastic, and I really enjoyed watching all the progress they've made!

Now that they are done with their testing, will be shifting gears in our Sunday classes, and will start focusing a bit more on my own training.
  • Versicolour
    Options
    On Saturday my phone died and so my alarm didn't go off. I woke up 5 minutes after I should have left.

I have been keeping up with the Sunday walks though. This Sunday we walked 3km and it nearly killed my boyfriend! I don't think he will go that route again any time soon
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    On Saturday my phone died and so my alarm didn't go off. I woke up 5 minutes after I should have left.

I have been keeping up with the Sunday walks though. This Sunday we walked 3km and it nearly killed my boyfriend! I don't think he will go that route again any time soon

Nicely done on the walks! I hope that the rest of the month was more fruitful!
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    I've been hitting it hard at the gym and practice, just been lazy to post about it here.

Sunday Black belt class, I was able to record the first 25 moves of my new 5th degree form - it will be a long time before I will consider it "good" - it's the most complex form I've ever practiced by far, and I have to forget damn near everything I know.
  • Versicolour
    Options
    I have also been scarce here, I'm sorry.

I have been going to Saturday classes regularly and I managed to attend a Tuesday evening class once
  • Versicolour
    Options
    So karate is back into the swing of the new year. We had our first class on Saturday and it was a black and brown belt class
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    Fantastic! I've had to forgo gym workouts for a while due to our gym being renovated via the slowest workers ever. a "2 week" renovation is now on month 3... and since it's HOA, it's not like they are losing revenue.

Anyway, I still am practicing and going to class regularly, just haven't been here much to talk about it!
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    Had a solid weekend of practice, both Sat and Sunday.
    Also going to try and add a Wednesday lunch workout in this week.
  • Versicolour
    Options
    That's great! Yeah, it seems life gets in the way of posting in here.

I have been added to the black belt candidate 2023 WhatsApp group for my karate. It seems my sensei thinks it's time for me to get my second dan. I don't think I am ready! Plus I don't know if I will have the time to put in what I need to. Not to mention the fitness!
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    Been training - 1 to 2 x per week here lately, plus finally back in the gym after they shut it down for 3 more weeks.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Options
    That's great! Yeah, it seems life gets in the way of posting in here.

I have been added to the black belt candidate 2023 WhatsApp group for my karate. It seems my sensei thinks it's time for me to get my second dan. I don't think I am ready! Plus I don't know if I will have the time to put in what I need to. Not to mention the fitness!

Congrats! Sometimes having an external goal... like testing for 2nd dan.. can be an amazing motivator for growth. Dig in and get yourself ready!
  • Versicolour
    Options
    I've decided to rather focus on testing next year. That way I can build up my fitness and my confidence
  • Versicolour
    Options
    So I partially tore my Achilles tendon attachment. I don't know when I will be able to get back to training
  • Versicolour
    Options
    So just as I get better with my foot, I get diagnosed with high blood pressure and insulin resistance. I have been battling with side effects from the medication. Luckily it seems to be improving and I was able to train on Saturday.

Bonus, my youngest decided to start up karate again! I am thrilled!