Accountability Corner

Options
momwow17
momwow17 Posts: 1,653 Member
Do you have something you're struggling with such as alcohol, relationships, stress, or other things distracting you from your goals? Sometimes acknowledging it and receiving support from others can help you get through it. Feel free to post here about those things that threaten to derail your goals.

Replies

• momwow17
    Options
    Just posting here because I think I might get an offer from this job that I want. Typically I'd celebrate with alcohol and DH brought home a bottle of wine today. I really don't want to go down that path but I'm feeling very tempted. Does anyone have any ideas for ways to celebrate that don't involve drinking?
  • momwow17
    Options
    I want to be as transparent with my struggles as possible. I've been thinking for at least a week about whether I can totally give up alcohol. I want to, but I am easily triggered by seeing other people drink, whether its on TV or in person. I gave into temptation on Friday and had a few drinks, actually less than I would normally drink on a Friday night. I was happy that on Saturday, I didn't have a hangover, which is reassuring. I'm proud that I kept it in moderation and I didn't drink on Saturday and have no plans to drink this week, unless I get a job offer and I might go to a bar with hubby to celebrate. I'm in another challenge group on MFP and I made my goal to refrain from drinking alcohol on 6 our of 7 days each week. I think this is reasonable and I won't feel bad if I give in to temptation occaisionally.
  • momwow17
    Options
    Another struggle I have been having lately is not wanting to go for walks. I used to walk for 1-2 hours every day. I'm not sure what's going on, but I think it has to do with the time commitment and feeling over-scheduled. Which is ridiculous, because I really have a lot of time to do everything, but it takes some structure and I hate having an overly structured schedule. I am going to try to do better, starting today. I plan to go for at least an hour walk. I'll have to take it one day at a time.
  • dianastepheny
    dianastepheny Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    My biggest struggle is water. It has nothing to do with flavor (or lack of). I’m just not thirsty…at all…for anything. This has been a problem since childhood ( including hospital visits/tests/bladder and kidney troubles etc) I know water is essential. I know the benefits of water, and the dangers of not enough. I just have to force myself to drink it. So, I’m hoping to increase my water intake. I bought the pretty water bottle. Didn’t matter. I have set alarms. Didn’t work. I’ve even tried bribing myself with rewards ( that don’t come to fruition because I don’t drink the water). Gotta think of a new method, or just forcefeed myself the water. <sigh>
  • Marilynsretired
    Marilynsretired Posts: 5,400 Member
    Options
    For me the accountability is in the water. I just read a good article about it. One thing the article said was to take your weight (in pounds) and divide in 1/2 = that will give you the amount of oz you should be drinking. Because I am in kidney failure (stage 4) I have been advised to drink 3L which is about 100 oz - so I am working on getting in at least 72 oz but working on 100. My water bottle holds 24 oz so this means I have to drink 4 of them to get it all in - setting a time for 1 1/2 hours to remind me that I should be close to finished the bottle that I am working on. It is a challenge but can be done.

Also did you know that if you are short on the water you wont necessarily lose weight as the water works with the kidneys and liver to get rid of what is not needed but if you short change yourself it will not release the toxins or stored weight - that is one of the reasons so many people are constipated - dehydrated.

• dianastepheny
    Options
    @Marilynsretired Wow, I’m so sorry about your kidneys. That’s so scary, I hope you are doing well. I never really equated weight loss with water intake that way. I knew it helps to keep you from feeling as hungry, helps keep digestion flowing smoothly, good for skin etc. I probably tax my kidneys due to improper hydration. I struggle to drink 30-40 oz a day ( that’s being “good”. I can’t imagine drinking over 122 oz a day ( if dividing my weight in half) I definitely have my work it out for me.
  • momwow17
    Options
    My biggest struggle is water. It has nothing to do with flavor (or lack of). I’m just not thirsty…at all…for anything. This has been a problem since childhood ( including hospital visits/tests/bladder and kidney troubles etc) I know water is essential. I know the benefits of water, and the dangers of not enough. I just have to force myself to drink it. So, I’m hoping to increase my water intake. I bought the pretty water bottle. Didn’t matter. I have set alarms. Didn’t work. I’ve even tried bribing myself with rewards ( that don’t come to fruition because I don’t drink the water). Gotta think of a new method, or just forcefeed myself the water. <sigh>

Diana, do you drink anything else like coffee, tea, etc? I don't drink enough water either, but I drink A LOT of Diet Coke, which I wish I could quit, but I'm so addicted to it. Would you like to start a water challenge in this group? I'd be interested in participating. We could start a thread, set a daily goal and get points for achieving the goal, at the end of the week, month, whatever period we select we can see who has the most points and that person can win a virtual ribbon. What do you think?
  • momwow17
    Options
    Ok, confession time. I really fell off the wagon over the last week both with food and alcohol. I think the stress of interviewing just distracted me, but I'm here today and I plan to show up every day going forward. There's a great poster, which I'll post if I can find it again, but it said "What if today, I didn't quit?" I keep thinking of that when I'm struggling with temptation. If I don't quit, I'll achieve my goals, feel great, look better and be able to do all the things I love like hiking and amusement parks. There are so many reasons to keep going and what am I giving up to get there, just terrible food and alcohol that are detrimental to my health. It seems like a no-brainer, right?
  • dianastepheny
    Options
    @momwow17 I think a water challenge would be great. It is actually the hardest part for me. I do drink tea , but it doesn’t “count” since it’s caffeinated. I just bought some decaf tea, so we’ll see how that goes.
    I’m sorry you’ve been so stressed. But, you posted in another area that you went shopping for healthy food for this week. Fantastic start. As to the alcohol, can you get rid of any that’s in the house. I find I’m usually too lazy to go out specifically to get junk food, so if it’s not in the house , I’m all set.
    It’s so true what you said about “What if today I didn’t quit”. The weight loss journey seems so long, but that year or two is going to pass by no matter what. I just have to remind myself of where I want to be after that year or two. I’m in the process of RElosing around 55 pounds. That makes me so mad. 😡 I’m only 8 pounds in. It’s really hard to not be bitter, but it is what it is.
    This time I can’t give up. My husband and kids need me, and I need to think of them. Plus, I want to go hiking with my family , ride amusement park rides, and do 5Ks with my younger son . It’s now or never, and I refuse to give never a chance.