Leslie Sansone February 2024 Walk and Workout Challenge

Options
texasgardnr
texasgardnr Posts: 2,658 Member
February (2024)

WELCOME to all walkers!

Today we start another new month, and another new challenge for February.

That means that it is time to start our second challenge for this year! So lets make February an extraordinarily amazing month, even though it is the shortest month of the year. This year it is a Leap Year!! So we get a bonus day for this February!!

Crisp and cold, and probably more snowy ❄ weather is definitely here for many of us depending where we live. Having Leslie's, or other walking DVDs or workout/ walking streaming opportunities continue to be a great alternative to walking outdoors. Walking outdoors can still be an important part of fitness walking this month, when possible, for those who enjoy walking outside in the winter ⛄ 🏃‍♀️.

This group is open to any and all walkers. The majority of us use Leslie Sansone Walk At Home DVDs or streaming workouts. Other indoor choices might be the treadmill, as well as other walking instructors, or strength workouts.

Outdoors there are also those great walks or hikes outside on the trails or pathways that are available to us, or a walk in our neighborhoods, weather permitting. All of these many options count toward our miles and minutes. However you get your walk in, come on in and join us! Post your strength workouts or miles/ minutes that you have walked or other ways to workout/ exercise and get stronger, however you did it... it is all good!

We are a happy, supportive group, and I promise that this challenge will motivate, challenge, as well as inspire you!

Set your goal for walking 👟 📆 or workouts 💪 😅. This is your own personal goal :star:. Post your results daily, weekly, or whenever you like. It is such an encouragement to read each others' posts.

If you find this challenge in the middle of this month it doesn't matter which day of the month that you join in. Just set your goals to reflect what you want to walk for the remaining days in the month. You are always welcome :) !

In other words, if you are new to the group please feel free to start today so that by the end of the month you will be that much closer to your health goals. It is never too late to join in

It is always encouraging to read which form your walk or workout took today. We all could use some new inspiration sometimes.

Come on in and let us start walking the Monthly Walk and Workout Challenge together. I know that I say this often, but I am truly grateful for each one of our walkers who continue to inspire and motivate mile by mile, and step by step, each month. Especially when life gets in the way and sometimes I/ we are not able to post. I continue to be grateful for those that are able to 💐 post and share their workouts or walks. It is also encouraging to have new walkers join in!

So now... let us lace up those walking shoes 👟 and get some water 💧 ... as we begin to walk into February of 2024! Come join us as we turn yet another calendar page... and walk our way to a Happy and Healthy February.

Let us continue walking strong, and with the determination!

Blessings <3 ,

texasgardnr 🌺🦋🌷

Replies

• Deeder522
    Deeder522 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Welcome to February with a bonus day! 😝

My Apple Watch challenge is a new one. Earn the award by walking and running at least 2.35 mi on 14 different days this month. 😳

I decided that with February being a "short" month I want to do a rotation of 3 workouts a week.
    1 Step, 1 Walk, and 1 Strength. I've written out a plan of what to do as well so I have guidelines for the month.

I've been fairly successful in not having dairy this past month and have only tiny slips but nothing major that caused a lot of pain. I've differently found where my tolerance is.

It looks like we're hanging out in the low 40s for the next week and there isn't any snow in the forecast either.
  • zichab
    zichab Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    I've decided to concentrate on moving and tracking this month. So, since it is a short month, I am going to log every day!!!! My workouts will be mostly Leslie on MWF and they will be 2 mile or 30 minute walks and on Sat or Sun, a challenge walk, like strength or a longer walk. My goal is also to get in 3 miles each day.

Feb Challenge: Log every day: 2 mile walk MWF: Challenge walk Sat or Sun: 3 miles/day

I am going to write a plan week by week depending on how strong I get. This week, my weekend plan is to do the 2 mile workout on Miracle Miles since I never really gave that series a chance when I got it. If it works out, I'll put it in my rotation.
    We are going to be in the low 30s all week, but it will go down to 0 at night. They are predicting an inch of snow tomorrow, but it is just an Ontario band of lake effect snow. We've had snow showers all day and they have not amounted to anything.
    Feb can often be my "get down on me" month, so I am really going to focus on my logging and workouts and keeping my house in tip top shape. I also have my Fiction books to read this month so hopefully , they are good!!! To a productive February!!! :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • zichab
    Options
    Feb Challenge: Log every day: 2 mile walk MWF: Challenge walk Sat or Sun: 3 miles/day

Feb 1-Log 3: Walk-Rest: Miles 2.0 miles
    Feb 2-Log 3: WAH: walk Away Your Hips & Thighs-2 miles: Miles
    WOAH!!! 2 miles of Leslie is rough compared to 1 mile of Jessica!!!! I was pooped and needed a shower when I got done! :laugh: I really did not have a problem though, so I am very happy. I have redone my daily routine to do my workout right after I finish my morning routine (making the bed, swishing the toilets, cleaning up the kitchen etc), but before I actually get into my tasks for the day. It worked great today and I figure if I do not get my tasks done, I can do them the next day since I am working out every other day mostly. I am so afraid of procrastination ruining my work out plan. We'll see how this goes, but I am psyched after today!!
    Kind of a dull day around here. My sister found out that a young couple bought my parents' house where we all grew up. They were so happy on Face Book and it is so nice to know that they are so in love with the house. It was built in 1820 and has a very strange floor plan and only 2 very small closets, so we thought it would not sell, but it did!
    Our neighbors left for North Carolina today, so we are alone in the woods for the next 2 months. Other than that, it was an uneventful day. :bigsmile:
  • Deeder522
    Options
    I haven't made it to a dedicated workout yet. Being a bit of a slacker but I hope to fix that sometime today. Need to vacuum and mop the floors today. We had 4 legged visitors yesterday and 1 of them left Grinch footprints in the den and entryway. 😝

It's a nice reminder that those Walk N Talks were exactly as JS said just to get moving. She has other 1 mile walks that are more like Leslie. My Goal with Leslie this month is to work up to a 3 mile. I don't think I've ever gone beyond that. I always felt 3 miles was a good stopping point.
  • zichab
    Options
    Feb 1-Log 3: Walk-Rest: Miles 2.0 miles
    Feb 2-Log 3: WAH: Walk Away Your Hips & Thighs-2 miles: Miles 3.3 miles
    Feb 3-Log 3: Rest: Miles
    I have a lot of Leslie's 4 and 5 mile walks because those are the ones I did once I got fit. I also had 100 pounds to lose so I needed the bigger workouts. Now, I think 3 miles will also be my limit except maybe for one of my Sat or Sun walks. You are so right about Jessica. She got me back into the habit of walking every day and I also love her message that 15 minutes is better than 0 minutes, so on the days I do not feel like it, I may just start with 15 minutes and either stop then or realize I am being a baby and go on to 30.
    Not much going on here today, but tomorrow I am going to try 2 Miracle Miles. Hopefully, they provide me some miracles! :bigsmile:
  • Deeder522
    Options
    I did 1 Miracle Mile. This morning. It felt good to get going with Leslie again. Her 3 Mile Heart Smart walk has been my favorite since I started following her.

I took care of most of the floors yesterday. I need to deal with the bathrooms this afternoon. The Sun is out and it's so nice to have the rays of light coming through the windows.

We've rolled back on Ryan's salt intake a bit. We think we figured out his limit and a few things have improved. Also, we added celery to this diet this week. I'm not a big fan of celery. I think it's crunchy water. If he continues to do ok on celery we'll try English cucumbers next. Just so he has other options to snack on.
  • zichab
    Options
    Feb Challenge: Log every day: 2 mile walk MWF: Challenge walk Sat or Sun: 3 (Garmin logged) miles/day
    Feb 1-Log 3: Walk-Rest: Miles 2.0
    Feb 2-Log 3: WAH: Walk Away Your Hips & Thighs-2 miles: Miles 3.3
    Feb 3-Log 3: Rest: Miles 3.2
    Feb 4-Log 3: WAH: 2 Miracle Miles: Miles:
    OK, that was a work out and I did not even do the boosted part and I had the band at the maximum length!!! :embarassed: Um, it would seem I am a bit out of shape??? :laugh: Holy Moley it is going to be a while before I am doing 4 and 5 miles that is for sure! :blush: I will be sticking with that workout on the weekends though until I can do it all perfectly. Then I'll move on to the longer ones, but I doubt it will be this month. My poor Garmin does not know what hit it!!!!
    I try ... really hard ... not to do any deep cleaning on Sunday, but today, I really have to. I clean by zones since I DESPISE spring cleaning or any kind of all day freaking cleaning! :angry: Having said that, I did not get through my kitchen zone last month and so I have to wash all the windows (4-because I did do the slider) and declutter, vac and wash out 2 cupboards and drawers that I did not do last month on top of the 3 for this month! The only way I am going to catch up is to do some of this today. I am also challenging myself to get rid of a least one item each day this month so decluttering my cupboards fit right in. I try to get through all of them at least once a year. After my shower ... I am GOING to do it!!! :bigsmile:
  • Deeder522
    Options
    January Goals

4 Step Workouts
    4 Leslie Walks✅
    4 JS Training
    Apple: 2.35 miles walked/running 14 days for the month. 1 / 14

We lost power yesterday afternoon. So I took advantage of the Sunny weather and did a walk up at the Park. Ryan stayed behind to conserve energy in case we needed to get the generator up and going, which we did. Luckily, I had enough forethought to pivot dinner plans from a chuck roast in the instant pot to a chuck roast on the stovetop. 😊 We got power back just before dinner was ready to be served.

Today is a recovery day from all that excitement. Next up, a step routine with Jenny Ford.
  • zichab
    Options
    Feb Challenge: Log every day: 2 mile walk MWF: Challenge walk Sat or Sun: 3 (Garmin logged) miles/day
    Feb 4-Log 3: WAH: 2 Miracle Miles: Miles: 3.2
    Feb 5-Log: Just Walk:30 Minute Big Burn: Miles
    It has been cold but very sunny here as well. Yesterday, I was going to remind Dennis to turn off the light in our walk-in closet when he leaves and it turned out to be the sun shining in the window!!!! :noway: It just does not happen in February usually. It goes down to 0 and below at night though.
    Our entire house is electric, so when we bought our new gas grill, we only looked at ones with a gas burner in case we needed to cook on it during a power outage. We have a generator and can cycle through the freezer and two refrigerators to keep them cold and of course we have the wood stove for heat, but cooking is totally different. Since we are all prepared, the power has not gone off in over 3 years for more than a few minutes. :ohwell:
    Laundry day and I am off to change over loads! :bigsmile:
  • Deeder522
    Options
    Oh, man! It's been several years since I've done step aerobics and it showed this morning. 🤣 I selected a marching/step combo routine this morning. I made it through but I was definitely out of practice.

It's quiet over here. Nothing exciting to report or to expect.
  • zichab
    Options
    Feb 5-Log 3: Just Walk:30 Minute Big Burn: Miles 4.4
    Feb 6-Log 3: Rest Day: Miles 3.9
    Feb 7-Log 3: WAP 2 Brisk Miles: Miles
    I am not sure I am coordinated enough for step aerobics! I fall walking across my living room! :laugh: It'll come back to you after you do it a few times I'm sure. :+1:
    I am getting ready to fire up my new MacBook Pro, but there is only 1 port on it and it is not compatible with the firewire connector on my current back up disc, naturally! So, I got a new backup disc that uses the USB C on my old computer to back up and the USB A on the new one to copy. Honestly, this port s$%^^&*t gets on my nerves!!! First we lose the CD/DVD port, then 2 of the 4 USB C ports. Now, they are all gone but one and I need an attachment with all the ports on it use my DVD player, get pictures off the camera, and use my thumb drives. :explode: Just install all the dang ports out there on the hardware for goodness sake!!! Not all of us do everything on a cloud. Rant over! :blushing:
    Other than portageddon, not much going on here either :bigsmile:
  • Deeder522
    Options
    @zichab My business focuses on Mac's! I can point you in the direction of a good multi-port adapter if you want. I know the feeling. I've had many discussions with clients about the single-style port for years now. I'm not a big fan of the cloud either. I like to have my data locally where I can touch it.

Rest day for me today and I have a small trip tomorrow morning so I'm not sure if I'll get a workout in tomorrow.
  • Deeder522
    Options
    The temps hit 60 so Ry and I hit the park for a mile walk. Ryan still decided to bundle up, which was good b/c by the time to got to the park the clouds rolled in. So he was pretty good while the sun played peek-a-boo while I toughed it out in my sweater.

Rain is supposed to move in tonight but they are still calling for 1 last day of Spring weather for before we drop back into the 30's.
  • Deeder522
    Options
    Thursday night we had a lovely thunderstorm with lightning and only a little rain. Yesterday, I worked.
    Today, I ran errands in the morning and got a 10-minute strength training for arms in this afternoon. I'm settled into the coach from the evening. After several warm days in the 50s cold air came back today and the foreseeable future.

While searching for some other option for strength training I found Fit by Mik on YouTube. I tried her 10-minute standing arm routine. I'm glad I started with 10 minutes. She has a decent collection of videos so these might be a nice option to browse when I'm in the mood for something a little different.
  • Deeder522
    Options
    February Goals

4 Step Workouts✅
    4 Leslie Walks✅
    4 JS Training✅
    Apple: 2.35 miles walked/running 14 days for the month. 4 / 14

After what felt like a never-ending January, here we are almost to the midpoint of February. The sun is out today but the temps are stuck in the high 30's this week.
  • mypinkbikini
    mypinkbikini Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, it's been awhile. I've been doing my best to get out in the cold and walk.

On a personal note, I'm going through a divorce right now after nearly 2 decades, which has been one of the most challenging experiences of my life. This was a bit of a blind side for me so I'm coping with all of the unexpected change and trying to be hopeful about my future.

The separation did bring steady weight loss and so I've actually been working with a dietician and therapist and see the two of them 3x weekly for support right now. I'm not actively trying to lose weight presently but exercising for mental health and physical strength and nourishing my body with food and drink vs counting calories or watching my weight. Self care is the priority presently.

My goal this week is to walk 6k steps each day and to lift OR stretch every day. I hope to get a lift in between work meetings today and then a walk to the grocery store for fresh vegetables and chicken. Good to see some familiar names on here- I'll try to get back in the rhythm of posting here and checkin in with all but most of the time I'll be trying to get outside for my walks vs Leslie because my body needs the fresh air and mental benefits of nature.
  • Deeder522
    Options
    @mypinkbikini Wonderful to hear from you again. It sounds like life has changed a lot for you. You started to create some good things while moving through this change. Feel free to post here even if it isn't Leslie related. 6k steps a day seem completely manageable. I just added a goal of doing 1 strength training a week to work it into my routine. Glad to have you back here. 😃😃

Last night, I did a full 30-minute step aerobic workout with Jenny Ford. After it ended I went and had a big glass of ice water. I'll rest today and look at doing a couple of miles with Leslie tomorrow.
    I picked up some premade baked chicken that the grocery store sells and I've been having 3 pieces of the chicken for lunch this week. Still working on boosting my protein intake.

Hope to hear an update fro @zichab soon too.
  • zichab
    edited February 14
    Options
    Feb 5-Log 3: Just Walk:30 Minute Big Burn: Miles 4.4
    Feb 6-Log 3: Rest Day: Miles 3.9
    Feb 7-Log 3: WAP 2 Brisk Miles: Miles 3.8
    Feb 8-Log 2: Rest: Miles 2.1
    Feb 9-Log 1: Away : Miles 1.0
    Feb 10-Log 1: Away: Miles 1.2
    Feb 11-Log 2: Away: Miles 1.5
    Feb 12-Log 3: Away: Miles 1.8
    Feb 13-Log 3: Rest? :wink: : Miles
    Clearly, I have been MIA! :blushing: My 49th wedding anniversary was on Feb 8 and my husband surprised me with a trip to visit some friends we have not seen in a long time. We left on Friday and got back late Monday. Our friends loved it that we had the good sense to get married in Feb so they could plan their Super Bowl party around us as well. :laugh: I am off my game plan and totally "discombobulated" as they say. Tomorrow is Valentine's Day and I am not sure if I will get to my workout or not. Trips are fun but disorienting as well!!!!! I am going to post until I get back on track.
    @deeder522 when I bought the Mac, they sold me a SATECHI USB-C Multiport Pro adapter (It does not have a fire wire adapter though and that is what is on my G-Tech backup drive.), which I hope is a good one because I am going to extend the USB A port to 4 other USB-A ports. Everything I have from my thumb drives to my DVD player are all USB-A and 1 port is not enough. If you know of a good one with more USB A ports on it, let me know and I'll get it. I love Mac and how easy and secure it is to use, but the constant up grading and making things obsolete is aggravating sometimes.
    I do not use the cloud at all except for my iphone back up and 1 folder with recipes in it. I even do a hard transfer of all the photos from my iphone to Photos on my Mac using the USB-A and then delete them from my phone once a month. I am totally old school when it comes to hardware and constant backing up, which is an old college habit!! :embarassed:
    Welcome back @mypinkbikini! It is good to "see" you and I am so sorry. :frowning: The loss of a 20 year marriage is hard on anyone, expected or not, and my heart goes out to you. It sounds like you are doing all the right things right now though. I just read a piece that said walking in nature, smelling the smells and really looking closely at the trees and ground and if possible, even touching them is one of the most healing things human beings can do to compensate for the overly indoor world that we live in. Pop in anytime and we will cheer you on for sure!!! You got this!!! :+1:
    Hoping to get back on track tomorrow! Happy Valentine's Day!!! :heart: :bigsmile:
  • mypinkbikini
    mypinkbikini Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Yesterday I was a few hundred steps short but today I got my 6k steps in. If I keep at it in little bursts every day then I can get to 6k even in days when I can't get outside for a full walk. I can't wait till winter is over as the sun and warmth will make it easier to be outside!
  • Deeder522
    Options
    I took the day off for Valentine's Day to recover from the step aerobics. My goal for 2 tomorrow is 2 Miracle Miles with Leslie.
    With Ryan's condition, we don't do anything special for the "holiday". I picked up an eye-massaging mask. It also has heat and connects to my phone so I can play music if I want.

Welcome Back @zichab and happy belated anniversary.
    Have you tried your DVD player with your new laptop yet? I discovered that some players draw too much power to work properly with the new laptops.
    Regarding different adapters, the brand Anker, which can be found on Amazon, is a favorite of mine.

@mypinkbikini I was a bit jealous to read you talking about walking to the grocery store for fresh food. I'm under a winter weather advisory for up to 4" of heavy wet snow tomorrow.