This March I Will (Be More Mindful)

Options
77tes
77tes Posts: 7,905 Member
edited March 1 in Social Groups
fvdp5cswehml.jpeg

Ah, March is a wonderful month! The days are getting longer and spring begins. It’s a time of new beginnings.

This month I’d like to challenge you to join me in being more mindful. I’m new to mindfulness, usually I run around like a chicken with its head off. So, this month I’m going to keep up my habits, but slow down and try to think about the things I’m doing and be present in the moment.

How can we be mindful about exercise, or diet?
  • Enjoy interesting or beautiful things when walking outside…
  • Concentrate on form when doing a workout
  • Really taste our food instead of shoveling on the run.

If you’re not feeling like working on mindfulness this month, it’s not required. Feel free to work on a different habit.
A few of many alternatives:
  • March is a good time to reassess those New Year’s resolutions. Were they SMART?
  • How are they going?
  • Marching through March - Add a walk to your day or increase your steps.
  • March Madness- Try a exercise challenge for the month March Madness
  • Munch-Less March - Rein in your snacking

If you're new here, welcome to our group! Let us help you with your new beginnings. Share your goals for March and how we can help you achieve them.
Pro tip: set regular reminders to check in with us – be it daily, weekly, or whatever suits your schedule. We’re here to cheer you on every step of the way!

For those who have just joined, you are starting at the perfect time - NOW! Jump in and begin to blossom with the spring flowers.

So, what are your priorities for March? We recommend framing your goals along these lines:

1. My goal for this month (This March I will...)
2. The small, actionable steps I plan to take towards this goal
3. My reminder or cue to keep up with my habit
5. My reward for maintaining the habit (anything from a self-compliment to a mark on the calendar)
6. How can we support you?
7. What will success look like at the end of March ?

Let's make March a mindful month of movement, motivation , and more personal growth!

🌻 Kathy, 🌷Denise, & 🌸Maddie
@77tes, @themedalist & @MadisonMolly2017

Please review our Newcomer’s Guide and our Nuts and Bolts of Habit Building as it will help you get started.

Replies

• 77tes
    Options
    News Flash!

James Clear author of one of my favorite habit books Atomic Habits just launched an app. I think it’s only in iOS so far, but he planned to launch for Android device users. It’s called Atoms.

I just downloaded it and will see how I like it.
  • 77tes
    Options
    Mindfulness is a pretty large task so I’m starting with a small step.

1. This March I will practice being mindful.
    2. The small, actionable steps I plan to take towards this goal:
    I will start the day with a short mindful practice of legs up the wall. 🧘
    3. My reminder or cue to keep up with my habit when I wake up, usually by the sound of the solar clicking on.
    5. My reward for maintaining the habit - I’ll click done on the Atoms app and it will tell me that I’m a strong woman
    6. How can we support you? Cheer me on.
    7. What will success look like at the end of March ? I’ll be more focused and centered, less stressed and scattered.

March 1 - Legs up the wall 🧘 I’m a strong woman who is calm.
  • donna25trinity
    donna25trinity Posts: 3,044 Member
    Options
    77tes wrote: »
    News Flash!

James Clear author of one of my favorite habit books Atomic Habits just launched an app. I think it’s only in iOS so far, but he planned to launch for Android device users. It’s called Atoms.

I just downloaded it and will see how I like it.

Let me know if it's any good @77tes
  • 77tes
    Options
    @donna25trinity I will indeed give a report. Right now I’m only tracking my legs up the wall habit, so it’s pretty simple. I’d like to add others and will report back more then. Pressing the habit button and having it say I’m a strong woman does give me a simple little reward, so hopefully it will help to solidify this new habit.

March 2 - Legs up the wall 🧘 I’m a strong woman who is calm.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    edited March 2
    Options
    I’m in for a mindful March! Great idea, Kathy! I can think of several mindful activities I can work on this month. One is using the Calm app daily. I love Calm and I purchased a lifetime subscription several years ago when it was deeply discounted. They have lots of daily short sessions in addition to their core 10 minute meditations (the Daily Calm). There’s a Daily Move that I especially enjoy, and I intend to do more of those sessions this month.

My morning cycling activity is also an opportunity to practice mindfulness. I use the BitGym app. With my large 27 inch monitor only 8 inches from my face, it feels very immersive when I’m cycling through iconic cities and places around the globe. This morning I was cycling through New Zealand on the Lake Dunstan Cycle Trail. Lake Dunstan is one of 28 great cycle races New Zealand offers. My mindfulness challenge is to remain immersed in wherever I am that morning. I will work on not getting distracted by my barking dogs or the day’s to-do list. I will stay focused on the lovely place I am visiting. Here’s an artistic rendering of Lake Dunstan. The actual tour is photo/video quality.

gcp7eit3xj4p.jpg

Looking forward to hearing about your mindful practices this month. Thanks for getting us started, Kathy!

• 77tes
    Options
    @themedalist , I really need to look into the Calm app. My daughter uses it daily, and is finding it very helpful. That lifetime subscription sounds great!

I also love the idea of cycling through a lovely landscape. Although I really appreciate my spin bike, it faces our shelves of stockpiled paper products, so I often just play games on my phone and listen to an audiobook while I bike. Multi tasking really isn’t the best way to be mindful. I used to be the queen of multitasking - listening to my kids read while grading papers and answering phone calls.🤪 Really not a mindful practice and I’m not as good at it as I used to be. I wonder how many brain cells I killed doing that.
  • donna25trinity
    edited March 3
    Options
    Great idea for march mindfulness and very much aligned with where I am at currently! I go into a huge trance like state at work barely getting up to go to the bathroom, I skip lunch and work long hours then wen i get home im often still a zombie not able to unwind from the stress and worries of work.. so I also been focusing on mindfulness over the last 2 weeks...

Here is my focus for march/strategies:
    *Day 1 no bingeing.
    *To love and care 4 myself by breathing at work and taking breaks.
    * More movement through the day/ night.
    * Dnt compete at work
    * Do one task at a time, u know that u wont get in trouble.
    * Dnt take work so seriously, hve fun at work and dnt automatically assume the worst.
    * Leave on time.
    * get out in nature or have something to look forward to of a night! This is a must to help u unwind!
    * Focus on a personal to do list, tidy up, keep busy as it feels good getting stuff done and makes work seem less important!
    * Stay on top of housework through the week to enjoy my weekend.
    * Morning beach dips, heavy weights, do situps, 3jogs!
    * Rewards and activities that are not food based, walks with toddler, put put golf,visits to park, markets, massages, etc

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,229 Member
    Options
    Great topic for March, Kathy. I am practicing mindfulness about getting my heart rate raised for short periods each day.

I am on my 5th day on Atoms app. It seems like a useful tool, but then I am a fan of James Clear.

Potted Bio - 2024
    Terri: Female; 77; living in Northern Ireland; married 57 years; 2 daughters, 3 adult grands: ex Maths teacher; volunteer group leader for U3A (University of the Third Age, life-long learning charity)
    SW: 227 (Mar 2014)
    In maintenance: August 2017
    LW: 131.2 (December 2022)
    GW: 130 < 140
    Moving forward ……
    ☃️❄️🙈🦋🙉🦋🙉❄️☃️
    ❄️☃️ March 2024 ☃️❄️
    ☃️❄️🙈🦋🙉🦋🙉❄️☃️
    I am a person who values the health and fitness of my body, mind, and spirit

Habits keep me going when motivation flags.

This month I will ….. March focus:
    ❣️Heart health
    In MarchI will …..
    … incorporate short bursts of HIIT into my daily morning workouts.
    … use Fitbit minutes to gauge heart rate.
    … earn > 150 Fitbit minutes per week
    By the end of March I will …..
    … have earned > 600 Fitbit minutes
    … have a healthier heart
    💓💓
    📌Consolidating Solid Habits
    🪴🪴
    Great Oaks from little acorns grow!
    vr1awsjfroqv.jpeg

Daily Solid Habits:
    (Developed over time)
    💎Right This Minute: Anti procrastination strategy
    💎Just DO it!!!
    Morning Routines:
    💎Daily Meditation
    💎Walk/Make beds/Shiny Sinks
    💎Post Sole Mates steps
    💎Weigh 130 < 140/log
    💎Monitor %age Fat/Muscle
    💎Log CI<CO/Balance macros
    💎Herbal tea/supplements
    💎Self care
    💎Quality time with DH
    💎Ablutions/dress/Shiny sinks
    💎Breakfast
    In between:
    💎Intentional exercise > 60 minutes
    💎Cardio > 5500 steps
    💎Strength > 15 minutes
    💎Flex > 15 minutes
    💎Active hours > 6
    💎Zone minutes > 150 (per week)
    💎Declutter > 15 minutes
    💎Daily chores
    💎paint/draw/write/read
    💎Craft/crochet
    💎General chores
    💎Gardening
    💎jigsaw/puzzles/TV favourites
    💎Meet with friends
    💎Quality family time
    Evening Routines:
    💎Sole Mates evening reminder
    💎JGM10Ds/JFT/UAC/Hogwarts
    💎Close Fitbit rings/Zone minutes
    💎Building Healthy Habits
    💎Duolingo Latin
    💎Update Women over 50
    💎Clutter Sweep
    YOU are worth the effort!

🧝🏻‍♀️Terri 🕊️

• 77tes
    edited March 3
    Options
    @donna25trinity , I can’t decide which of your goals I appreciate most! Each seems like a major way to reduce stress and be more mindful. I’m jealous of those morning beach dips! Getting that Vitamin Sea! You’d think that living in L.A., I’d spend a lot of time at the beach, but I’m doing well to hit the beach more than once a year.

@TerriRichardson112 , I too started the Atoms app a few days before March. So I got a bit of practice. I think your idea of getting your heart rate up with HIIT is a great idea. Exercise is another great way to de stress.

March 3 - Legs up the wall 🧘 I’m a strong woman who is calm
  • 77tes
    Options
    March 4 - Legs up the wall 🧘 I’m a strong woman who is calm.

Extra credit: I’ve noticed that my legs up the wall practice seems to mean my feet feel better at the end of the day.
  • 77tes
    Options
    March 5 - Legs up the wall 🧘 I’m a strong woman who is calm.
    March 6 - Legs up the wall 🧘 I’m a strong woman who is calm.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,031 Member
    Options
    @77tes
    Wow - great opening post & I
    will definitely check out the Atoms app!

I have 12 pounds to lose - some gradual creep & a few big jumps late last year caring for (dementia & many health issues/falls) Dad & dealing with errors, stressful interactions with caregivers/nurses/multiple ER trips, grief etc.

As of mid Dec, I have made great choices to change my situation to place my #HealthFirst. It is what my Dad would want. My siblings are now stepping up & I am learning to let go. Difficult, but I worked too hard to lose the weight to gain it all back.

So, I am focusing on 3 things
    1. Top Priority - PT & OT Exercises, stair climbs, & walk walk walk for health, weight control, and help my bones rebuild. X-ray showed new bone growth!!! Very motivating
    Goal: Get back to 2 mile walk a day.
    Current: 1,500 steps (daily movement & walks)

2. Monitoring SODIUM (bp is slightly high & I want my kidney to be as healthy as possible) & my husband has been using some convenience foods as he’s been doing's all the cooking since mid-Jan (leg break). Current goal: under 1,500 mg

3. Monitoring & Controlling SATURATED FAT (heart health) Current goal: < 9g

Thanks @77tes !!
    Off to get Atoms & research treadmills…

Maddie ❤️♥️❤️

• 77tes
    Options
    I love your goals @MadisonMolly2017 . I’m so sorry to hear of your broken leg! You definitely need help with the caregiving tasks, and I’m glad your siblings are stepping up.

Hooray for PT and OT! It’s great to be able to work with you over an extended time.

I’m loving the Atoms app! I realize today that the vibration it gives me when I track a habit is like a tiny celebration. That’s some clever app design.

March 7 - Legs up the wall 🧘 I’m a strong woman who is calm.
    March 8 - Legs up the wall 🧘 I’m a strong woman who is calm.
    March 9 - Legs up the wall 🧘 I’m a strong woman who is calm.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    @77tes Thank you so much & thank you for stepping up to lead this group & for all you insightful contributions already!!!

I can’t download Atoms until I update my phone’s new operating system - good motivation to do so!

UPDATE: 3/8 & 3/9
    3/8 All food tracked- over by 405 cals
    Sat fat too high
    Sodium too high
    This day was to get my baseline, open my eyes, and figure out changes for tomorrow.

Exercise: all exercises plus two (short) outdoor walks in nature. Total steps: 1,538 (pain all day so had to take it easier)

3/9
    Wt: 80.3kg
    All food tracked - modified breakfast, modified lunch dramatically,
    removed excess raw nuts from my bedside, reduced dinner dramatically ❤️❤️❤️❤️

Calories under 1650❤️

Sat fat 11g Ok will reduce to under 10 tomorrow. Goal is even lower but 11 is a vast improvement

Sodium 1,750 good according to Dr ♥️

Arm Exercises❤️
    Leg Exercises ❤️
    Steps 1212 - will Update final number tomorrow. Will walk more before bed. Avg for week is already over 1,700!!!❤️

I feel
    Myself getting back in the groove - at long last. Fingers crossed.
  • 77tes
    Options
    Great going @MadisonMolly2017 ! I like the idea of cooking at your baseline. You make me think that I should look at my sodium and saturated fat numbers, but I’m afraid to. 😳🤣😉😳

I did find out a negative about the Atoms app - the full version is pretty pricey🤑. I’m just using the free/trial version.

Even though it’s daylight savings Sunday (maybe that’s an even better reason to do this habit):
    March 10 - Legs up the wall 🧘 I’m a strong woman who is calm.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Thanks @77tes You are very inspiring

Steps 3/9: 1,846 YAY
    All exercises completed

March 10 AM
    Scale down (less salt, less food in system but I’ll take it.) 79.7kg (under 80 - hopefully to never see again) or 175.3 lbs. BMI 26.6
    Breakfast ❤️ Reduced calories by 26 calories. Still tinkering.

Next goal:
    < 175 lbs
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    March 10
    Steps 1,600!! Averaged over 1,700 ❤️ over the week
    Calories in range ❤️
    Sat fat 10 ❤️
    Sodium < 2,000 ❤️

On to tomorrow & Day 4 / 180
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    March 11
    Steps week 2 - 1700 NO
    working to get to 1,500; staircase made knee very sore

Calories NO over by 87, Avg is ♥️

Sat fat 24 ⚠️⚠️⚠️ An unexpected treat that I did not think was this bad for me
    Avg is high, will whittle that done rest of the week.

Sodium < 2,000 NO 2,282 same bad treaavg is ♥️

A lot of lessons learned ❤️❤️❤️
    On to tomorrow & Day 5/ 180

I may begin Pre-logging my food to insure my success.
  • donna25trinity
    Options
    13th march

Here is my focus for march/strategies:
    *no bingeing or grazing yes
    *To love and care 4 myself by breathing at work and taking regular breaks. No
    * Don't feel the constant need to prove myself by taking on too much and working long hours! Leave work on time! No
    * More movement through the day/ night. No
    * Dnt compete at work yes
    * Do one task at a time, u know that u wont get in trouble. Yes
    * Dnt take work so seriously, hve fun at work and dnt automatically assume the worst. Yes
    *Letting go of the need to control as this is where my stress comes from! The more control I want the less I hve anyways! Yes
    *Being present with my husband and toddler after work! Getting out in nature helps with this! Do choirs after work too, means I can stay on top of house work, keeps me busy and means I can enjoy w/e. Yes
    *Let go of mum guilt! I fell guilty to clean cook etc, Feeling the need to spend every second either at work or with my toddler. Yes
    *Be very careful tracking. U eat it u track it. Fruit with dinner and yougurt as treat yes
    * Focus on a personal to do list, tidy up, keep busy as it feels good getting stuff done and makes work seem less important! No
    * Morning beach dips, heavy weights, do situps, 3jogs! Yes
    * Rewards and activities that are not food based, walks with toddler, put put golf,visits to park, markets, massages, etc yes

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,229 Member
    edited March 14
    Options
    I am on my 5th day on Atoms app. It seems like a useful tool, but then I am a fan of James Clear.
    Update, Day 14: I like the app, but it would have been so much more useful if it had been around when I started my habit development. And it is soooo spendy! I’ll stick with the free version for now.

Potted Bio - 2024
    Terri: Female; 77; living in Northern Ireland; married 57 years; 2 daughters, 3 adult grands: ex Maths teacher; volunteer group leader for U3A (University of the Third Age, life-long learning charity)
    SW: 227 (Mar 2014)
    In maintenance: August 2017
    LW: 131.2 (December 2022)
    GW: 130 < 140
    Moving forward ……
    ☃️❄️🙈🦋🙉🦋🙉❄️☃️
    ❄️☃️ March 2024 ☃️❄️
    ☃️❄️🙈🦋🙉🦋🙉❄️☃️
    I am a person who values the health and fitness of my body, mind, and spirit

Habits keep me going when motivation flags.

This month I will ….. March focus:
    ❣️Heart health
    In MarchI will …..
    … incorporate short bursts of HIIT into my daily morning workouts.
    … use Fitbit minutes to gauge heart rate.
    … earn > 150 Fitbit minutes per week
    By the end of March I will …..
    … have earned > 600 Fitbit minutes
    … have a healthier heart
    💓💓💓💓💓💓💓
    💓💓💓💓💓💓
    📌Consolidating Solid Habits
    🪴🪴🪴🪴🪴🪴🪴
    🪴🪴🪴🪴🪴🪴
    Great Oaks from little acorns grow!
    vr1awsjfroqv.jpeg

Daily Solid Habits: