Leslie Sansone March 2024 Walk and Workout Challenge

Options
texasgardnr
texasgardnr Posts: 2,658 Member
edited March 1 in Social Groups
March (2024)

WELCOME to all walkers, whether you are new to the group, or our longtime walking/ exercise buddies!

It is already March, 2024, and time to start a new monthly challenge! Let us make March an extraordinarily awesome month while we continue to walk and workout this month together. There are still so many possibilities and opportunities for a healthy year, no matter what the first two months may have brought us so far this year. Every month is another opportunity because we are walking strong, not just for the current month, but hopefully for a lifetime.

Are the trees beginning to leaf out, or are tiny flowers or bulbs peeking up through the snow for you, because March is coming in like a lamb? Then getting outdoors to walk your miles will ensure that we won't miss any spring flowers or the beautiful budding trees as they begin to announce spring is finally here. Walking outdoors is an important part of fitness walking, when possible, for those who enjoy walking some miles or minutes outdoors in the sunshine whenever possible.

Or, is March is coming in like a lion where you live? Then having Leslie's, or other exercise DVDs, or the many workouts on the various streaming platforms continues to be a great alternative to walking outdoors. Please post your workouts whenever it seems good for you to do so, especially when you discover other great walks or workouts, so that we all can benefit from them also..

However you get your walk or workout in please post your miles or minutes that you have walked or exercised, however you did it... it is all good! With spring on the horizon don't forget that yard and garden work definitely counts as exercise 🌹.

We are a happy, supportive group, and I promise that joining us this month will motivate, challenge, as well as inspire you!

Set your personal goal for how many miles and/or minutes that you want to walk or exercise, indoors or out, this month. Or however you plan to set your goal this month, if it is not actually in "miles/ minutes". This is your own personal goal :star:. Please post your results daily, weekly, or whenever you like or have the time to post it. Even when life gets busy and you can't post as often as you would sometimes like to, keep on walking or working out! Stay strong! And post later on.

If you find this challenge in the middle of the month it doesn't matter which day of the month that you join in. Just set your goal to reflect what you want to walk/ workout for the remaining days in the month. You are always welcome :) !
Also, if you are new to the group please feel free to start today so that by the end of the month you will be that much closer to your health goals. It is never too late to join in.

Come on in and let us start walking the Monthly Walk Challenge together. I know that I say this many time, but I am truly very grateful for each one of our precious walkers who continue to inspire and motivate mile by mile, and step by step, each month.
I know that we are all excited to see our long time faithful walking friends o:) join us for yet another amazing month together, and we are always awaiting the opportunity to welcome newcomers to this month's Walk Challenge!

Let us lace up those fitness shoes and get some water... as we begin to walk into March! Can you believe it :o . It seems like we blinked and winter is almost gone away.

Please join us as we turn yet another calendar page... and walk our way to a Happy and Healthy March.

Let's walk strong, and with the determination, as well as a smile on our faces :) !

Blessings <3 ,

texasgardnr 🌺🦋🌷

Replies

• zichab
    zichab Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    March Goal: MF-3 mile aerobic walks: WSaorSu-3 mile strength walk: TR: rest- Exceed Feb 81.6 total miles
    Mar 1-Just Walk: Walking off the Pounds-3 miles: Total Garmin miles:
    Mar 2-
    March does not know what it wants to be so it is either a lamb or a lion that needs some meds!!!! :flowerforyou: However, up here, we know that the 60F is just a tease to get us to take the wood out and set up the screen porch for Spring! :noway: Then ... BOOM!!! we will get a blast from Canada and 27 inches of snow!!! :laugh: Ah March, we have to love it. It is also the month of birthdays for us. My grandson's is the 12th, my granddaughter's is the 25 and my son's is the 28, so Aires rings strong at our house!
    I have planned to get some backed up projects done (read put off from Jan & Feb :sad: ) in March as well so hopefully, it is a successful month all around! :bigsmile:
  • Deeder522
    Deeder522 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    March Goals

Miles Tracked: 72
    Apple Challenge: 12 workouts of 5 minutes or more.
    Strength Training: 4

I helped my parents for my Mom an Apple Watch as an early Mother's Day gift. Dad and I are leaning a bit to the side that she really won't wear it past 90 days. So we ordered a model that Dad can wear as well. He's currently wearing my old one.

We are starting to write out our Spring/Summer to-do list here. Revamping the back screened-in porch is 1 of the top priorities this year.

27 inches of snow = 😳 We got a light dusting this past week and it didn't even stick around.
  • zichab
    Options
    March Goal: MF-3 mile aerobic walks: WSaorSu-3 mile strength walk: TR: rest- Exceed Feb 81.6 total miles
    Mar 1-Just Walk: Walking off the Pounds-3 miles: Total Garmin miles: 4.2
    Mar 2-Rest: Miles:
    LOL we actually got 19 inches of snow on April 3 in 2021! Considering how warm this winter has been though, I will be surprised if we get any snow that late this year. If a huge storm descends from Canada and sends a lot of super cold air over Lake Ontario, we get spring snows. It has not done that much this winter so I doubt spring will be snowy.
    It is so nice having a nice screen porch isn't it. This is the only house we have ever owned that has one and I love it. It is a bit of work to maintain as the screens get full of pollen in spring and dust in summer, but that seems minor considering all the enjoyment we get out of it. For most of the spring and a lot of the summer, we cannot really enjoy our deck because of all the bugs. The screen porch lets us be outside without being bug food. :bigsmile:

• Deeder522
    Options
    It was mostly sunny and nearly 55 today, meaning I walked a little over a mile at the park. It also looks like I should be able to get some more walks outside this week. So I will try to focus on strength training here at home. I've been scrolling through my Pinterest board for fitness to see what I've saved in the past and forgotten about.

Last year, we threw out the old astroturf on the back porch. We replaced it with indoor/outdoor carpet we picked up at Menards. Mainly b/c we didn't have the time to properly fix and seal the existing concrete. The screens on the porch are well over 30 years old and overdue for replacement. We are probably looking at getting pet-proof screening for the bottom half. our neighbor's corgi got the zoomies a couple of days ago and zoomed into and through the porch screen. 🤦🏼‍♀️ He's a puppy and after he went through he sat down and I think questioned everything he knew in his short life. 🤣
    Sprucing the porch up will be nice for all of us but especially Ryan since he's at home the most.
  • melkadee
    melkadee Posts: 5,598 Member
    Options
    March Goal - Just to get moving again ... This month will give me a baseline for the future.

March 1 - March 2 --> 10.83 miles

• zichab
    Options
    Mar 2-Rest: Miles:2.2 Total Garmin Miles: 6.4
    Mar 3-WAH 3 Miracle Miles: Miles:
    OK I am not able to do all the strength in this workout. In mile 1, I am with her, in two, I do about half of the upper body and none of the lower and in 3 I am walking it all!!! :laugh: Hopefully, by the end of the month, I will be stronger. I am not as worried about it right now as I am getting my miles up. As @melkadee says, I just need to GET MOVING more every day. 2.2 miles on a rest day is not stellar. I'd like to get to 3 at least. Once I get more active day to day, I'll focus more on strength.
    Welcome @melkadee! We are all here to get moving again, but my goodness, 10.83 miles in two days looks like a lot of moving to me!!!! :+1: I aspire to that! :blushing:
    @Deeder522 what my in-laws did in Florida was put a solid piece of aluminum on the concrete about 2 feet up and then attach the screen to that to keep the alligators out (they lived in Pinellas county-lots of alligators) and that might be an idea for you to protect from pets as well. They sell those panels that screens attach to in DIY stores I think. The added bonus is that your screens are not on the ground where they get filthy when it rains.
    Our thermometer says it is 58F!!!!!! That is crazy here for Mar 3. We went to the Post Office yesterday and 1/2 of our lake is water!!! We are in a bay and it is still frozen, but its that mushy kind of frozen that even the deer will not step on!!! :noway: I guess the good news is that mountain hiking season can begin sooner since the mud will be gone a month earlier ... we can hope! :bigsmile:
  • Deeder522
    Options
    March Goals

Miles Tracked: 10 / 72 Miles
    Apple Challenge: 12 workouts of 5 minutes or more. ✅✅
    Strength Training: 1/ 4

Welcome @melkadee. We're happy to have you join us.
    Thanks for the tip @zichab

Yesterday, Ryan took a 1/2 mile walk with me around the field. I also did a few sets of free weight for the arms while watching America's Funniest videos
    Today, we're pushing for 70 before some rain moves in overnight. I have a client this afternoon but I think I can get another outdoor walk before sunset.
  • zichab
    Options
    Mar 3-WAH 3 Miracle Miles: Miles: 4.3: Total Garmin miles: 10.7
    Mar 4-Just Walk: Walk Off Fat Fast: 40 minute Super Burn: Miles
    Go Ryan!!! I was afraid he might crash after his night out, but he seems to be holding his own quite well. 1/2 mile is no joke for him. :+1:
    We are getting rain tomorrow also- and the sap houses on our road are boiling sap. This weather is just crazy. It is heading to 58F tomorrow, so I think we will lose most, if not all, of our ice on the lake. :sad:
    I hope @texasgardnr is far away from the wild fires. I think she lives further south? Fires are so frightening and we worry here when we have a dry summer because the fire danger gets real.
    Getting my hair cut tomorrow so hopefully the rain holds off so it does not mess up my "do"! :bigsmile:
  • zichab
    Options
    Mar 4-Just Walk: Walk Off Fat Fast: 40 minute Super Burn: Miles 5.0: Total Garmin Miles: 15.7
    Mar 5-Rest: Miles:
    Rain today and rain tomorrow! There were ducks on the lake today ... DUCKS in March! :noway: I have never seen them here this early before. Our daffodils are coming up about 4 weeks early. :neutral: I think I can do with out any more La Niña weather! They said it was going to be warmer and wetter in the north east, and it certainly has been. Blech!
    I got my hair cut today and came home and cleaned my house. Still working on my 3 miles for the day though. :bigsmile:
  • melkadee
    melkadee Posts: 5,598 Member
    Options

Zichab and Deerdee522 thanks for the welcome. This is actually my second time around with the group. I used to record my progress back in 2022. I loss 50 pounds and stopped logging. Unfortunately, I gained all 50 pounds back and they brought 15 extra pounds of friends with them. So, I'm starting from the bottom... again.

March 1 & March 2 --> 10.83 miles
    March 3 & March 4 --> 8.97 miles

• zichab
    Options
    Mar 4-Just Walk: Walk Off Fat Fast: 40 minute Super Burn: Miles 5.0: Total Garmin Miles: 15.7
    Mar 5-Rest: Miles: 3.6: Total Garmin Miles:19.3
    Mar 6-WAP: 3 Mile Advanced walk: Miles
    Oh @melkadee I hear you!!!! I'm on my second or maybe even third time around depending on how I count it! :laugh: I lost 100 pounds from 2012-2014 and I did very well at keeping it off until ... COVID ... and then I retired ... and then we moved ... and ... well ... ya know! :blushing: I did not gain it all back thank goodness, but 30 came back and now I am trying to get 20 of it off. I am finding that it is coming off a lot harder this time. I am sure it is because I am older and that I do not have as much to lose as before, but it is still very frustrating. However, logging on MFP and posting here every day holds me accountable, so I KNOW it will come off if I just stay the course. @Deeder522 got me back on track in January with a 21 Day Jessica Smith 15 minute, 21 day challenge. You are doing great and already have more miles that me, so keep doing what you are doing!!!!! :+1:
    Oh my goodness the rain, Calling Noah!!!! We may need an ark up here :laugh:!!!! Our temps are all over the place from 55F-19F and they are predicting "several inches of snow" for Sunday. Our poor daffodils do not know what is going on! They peeked up a month early since it was so warm and now they are going to get snowed on! As Gilda Radner said, "It's always somethin'." :bigsmile:
  • Deeder522
    Options
    I got all worked up last night after a client decided to be extra demanding and p!ssed😤 me off but good. I did 1 mile with Leslie ( Walk 15) to work off the anger. Then I was able to calm down with my emotional support vodka bottle. 🤣
    I was able to do another arm workout Tuesday and I'm thinking of upping my reps from 5 to 8 this next time.
    We're expecting a little rain tomorrow which will bring a little cold front but we'll bounce back into the 50s by Monday.

I found our 2 little crocuses and our daffodils are up as well. Our neighbor's daffodils have fully bloomed.
  • zichab
    Options
    Mar 6-WAP: 3 Mile Advanced walk: Miles 4.2: Total Garmin Miles:22.5
    Mar 7-Rest: Miles:
    @Deeder522 As I said once before, I have the upmost respect for all you IT/Genius folks!!!!! I used to listen to some of the faculty in my office be not only demanding, but also demeaning to our techs and I'd think, "Yeh, and I'd fix the attitude or that computer is NEVER going to work right!" Wine is my emotional support drug of choice when I need to "chill the heck out"! :laugh:
    WOW you are doing great with the strength. 5-8 is a big increase. Great job!!!!
    We will be dry and sunny tomorrow, which is a good thing because we need to bring in more wood. It's cold at night, so we are still running the insert. They are still saying the Adirondack, Green and White Mountains will get 4-6" of snow Saturday night into Sunday night, so we shall see what happens. We had some crocus bulbs planted last year, but the squirrels dug them up almost as soon as Dennis planted them. So, no crocus for us. :blush: When you live in the woods, ya gotta respect the critters that live here too. :laugh:
    I am going to do Leslie's Walking to the Hits: Radio tomorrow. Do you remember that one? It is an oldie but goodie. :bigsmile:
  • Deeder522
    Options
    It rained most of the day. I drove to Muskegon, about 30 minutes away, for a client today. It was nice to visit a client that seems grateful for a change. 😊

My Arm workout today was 5 reps / 8 reps / 5 reps. The scarecrow move is the one that burns the most.
    My ankle is still a little wonky from my last outdoor walk. I rolled both ankles, but the right rolled more than the left. I can bear full weight on it without issue, but I can tell there is some stiffness.

I have the [Walking to the Hits: All Time Favorites DVD. I swore I had the Radio hits, but I guess not.
    I'm pretty sure all the birds are back now. I saw a pair of ducks fly over yesterday. I had a squirrel on the front porch yesterday morning. The Robins are starting their territory skirmishes in the yards as well.
  • zichab
    Options
    Mar 7-Rest: Miles: 2.7: Total Garmin Miles: 25.2
    Mar 8-Just Walk: Walk to the Hits-Radio Remixes: Miles:
    The one thing I really like about hiking boots is that they help to prevent ankle rollovers. Even when it is hot and we are hiking what is for us a small, safe mountain, I still wear my boots because I am a klutz!!!! I hope your ankles feel better.
    We have had ducks on the lake, and the squirrels and chipmunks are out in force, but so far, no spring birds. However, if they have read the NOAA forecast they will stay away because we are under a winter storm watch for 4-12 inches of snow! :laugh: It is supposed to start with rain early tomorrow, move into wet heavy snow throughout the day Saturday, get colder and really start snowing Saturday night into Sunday, then stop for a while and then start again until Monday night. Is this crazy or what!!!!!
    On top of all the snow, the freakin' time is changing and I so HATE that!!!!! :angry: DST is not supposed to start until mid-April NOT early-March!!! It screws me up for the whole spring, summer and most of the fall. For night people, it is the time of year we dread most - Summer Bah Humbug!!!! :blushing:
    My plan for tomorrow is to do 3 Miracle Miles, unless the power goes out and then I'll move it to Sunday. So far, I am sticking to the plan. Even I am amazed! :bigsmile:
  • zichab
    Options
    Mar 8-Just Walk: Walk to the Hits-Radio Remixes: Miles: 4.3: Total Garmin Miles: 29.5
    Mar 9-WAH 3 Miracle Miles: Miles:
    Lots of heavy wet snow but so far, we have power! Whew! The wind has been vicious though. My poor wind chimes are working overtime! :smile: We are right in the path of the storm that is really hitting the western slopes of the mountains and we live on the western slope of the Adirondacks. The western slope of the Green Mountains are getting hit even worst as they are in the 24" snow band. Ski resorts are very happy though! :laugh:
    Doing an aerobic workout on Friday, followed by the Miracle Miles on Saturday was a little rough tonight for some reason. I do not notice any problem when I do the Miracle Miles on Sunday and then a straight aerobic workout on Monday. It might just be that it is late (I started at 9:30PM) and I am already tired, but we'll see. I had to change it this week because DST will kick my butt tomorrow. I'll be totally mixed up for days!!! :grumble: Next Sunday is St. Patrick's Day and I have plans, so I'll need to do the Friday Saturday plan again next week. Maybe I'll try doing the Miracle Miles earlier in the day and see if that is better? :ohwell:
    Whatever I am doing, it is working though as I am down 1.6 pounds this week!!!! Finally, the scale is moving in the right direction! :bigsmile:
  • Deeder522
    Options
    I've found squeezing in my arm routine rather easy now. It's only 6 moves. Last night I did 8 reps, 8 reps, and 5 reps. A few more times and I'll be up to 8 reps x3.
    The wind has been blustery all day. I think it's blown my motivation clear across the state.
  • Deeder522
    Options
    March Goals

Miles Tracked: 26 / 72 Miles
    Apple Challenge: 12 workouts of 5 minutes or more. ✅✅✅✅✅✅✅
    Strength Training: 4/ 4

The arm routine I started this month takes less than 10 minutes to do. It seems I'm still taking it a bit easy on the ankle. We have another warm-up this week so I hope to return for a gentle 1-mile walk. Yesterday we did have a touch of snow. Now the winds have calmed down and the Sun is starting to shine through. I make a return trip to Muskegon this morning and that is the only scheduled client this week at the moment. Which is kind of good, it keeps me away from the Fast Food lanes.
  • Deeder522
    Options
    It's still a little breezy but we made it for a 1-mile walk at the park. I should probably do another arm session tonight too.
    Tomorrow may allow for another walk in the park again.

I picked up 2 WAT DVDs from the library. Burn to the Beat and Walking off the Pounds.
    I'm up early tomorrow for a breakfast meeting. Eggs and Bacon for me but the hard part will be choosing between pancakes, waffles, or hash browns. 🤔
  • zichab
    Options
    Mar 8-Just Walk: Walk to the Hits-Radio Remixes: Miles: 4.3: Total Garmin Miles: 29.5
    Mar 9-WAH 3 Miracle Miles: Miles: 4.7 Total Garmin Miles: 34.2
    Mar 10-Rest: Miles: 1.4: Total Garmin Miles: 35.6
    Mar 11-DST Crash rest: Miles .9: Total Garmin Miles: 36.5
    Mar 12-Just Walk: Walk to the Hits: Party Songs: Miles:
    Sorry I have been AWOL, but as usual, DST did me in! Have I mentioned how much i HATE it???? :mad: I did everything they say, went to bed normal, got up normal and tried to get through Sunday doing my normal things and I did, slowly, but Monday was a total crash. I could not get off the sofa to do anything. It effects me just like Jet Lag when I go to Europe, I need a full day to adjust to it and that was Monday. In fall, I do not have any problem at all, but going forward kills me.
    I am back on track now and got all my Monday and Tuesday tasks done today (well, technically the last load of laundry is in the dryer, but I will fold it before I go up to bed.) and that felt really good. :laugh: I am going to go ahead and do iWalkStrong tomorrow instead of taking another rest day. I should be OK because the Party Songs is aerobic.
    I have both of those DVDs @Deeder522. I am not fond of Burn to the Beat because it was only 3 short walks, but I love Walking off the Pounds. It was the first one I did this month and it is my go to when I do not feel like working out.
    We got about 5 inches of snow and a ton of wind. The roads were horrible on Monday when Dennis went to Cardio Rehab. He said there was ice under the snow that had been plowed, but cars had packed it down to the ice and there were a couple of cars in the guide rails. He only had to go 2 miles or he would have come back home it was that bad. It was sunny and melting everything today. Back to March I guess! :bigsmile: