Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Starting my path - could use some friends here

nniles49
nniles49 Posts: 4 Member
Hi, I've been using MFP for a long time, off and on, as I struggle to lose weight and maintain a healthy lifestyle as a working mom and primary caretaker of my elderly father. I have a bunch of "friends" here from my previous attempts, but most of them are still trying to power through on diet and exercise alone. I have some comorbidities that prevent me from doing this on sheer willpower, so I'm scheduled for BPD/DS surgery in August.

Frankly, I'm terrified—only a tiny bit from the surgery itself. My biggest fear is that it won't work. So, I've decided that I'm going to spend June and July "practicing" my new lifestyle and diet. I'm starting this month by focusing on eating more protein and drinking more water. Stage 2 will involve cutting out foods that I know I won't be able to tolerate after surgery.

I would love some encouragement, accountability and food ideas and would love to provide that to others in return.

Here are my deets:
HW: 365
CW: 355
SW: unknown but hoping for 340
GW: 150-175 would be a miracle ... but I'll settle for the weight I maintained for years and years before I got sick, which was in the 210 range.

Replies

• kthurlow1282
    kthurlow1282 Posts: 9 Member
    Hi nniles49, from your deets on this recent post I think that you're on the right track. I don't know what your abbreviations mean "so I'm scheduled for BPD/DS surgery in August." I can tell you that I am post- surgery 22 almost 23 months. Starting your pre-op diet now was how I went from 320's pre surgery to 292 (I think, will have to check) on day of surgery. Today, I am bouncing between 215 to 230. I know it's a 15 lb range, and I'm not done yet! We can do ANYTHING we set our mind to. You're right, it's not a diet it's a complete lifestyle change. I simply did high protein, low carb, and minimal calories (I don't remember the number, but it was low). I am so glad I "Practiced" like you mention, because I probably would have struggled even harder through the 12 weeks up to my "new normal" eating habits.

You are welcome to add me as a friend, or just respond to me here.

I hope that you are doing well!

for reference:

HW: 330
    CW:220
    SW: 290's
    GW: similar to yours, but to have a "healthy BMI" I'd have to get to 140. I would be happy around 150-180 I think.
  • foevlo1969
    foevlo1969 Posts: 1 Member
    I’m happy to hear you are taking this step. As someone who ‘dieted’ her way up to 356lbs weight loss surgery was my last hope.
    In April 2016 I had the Sleeve surgery and was able to lose 90lbs. My surgeon offered to give me the Duodenal switch as a next step so after thinking long and hard about it I went forward with it. I had the duodenal switch in Dec 2019. After that I went down to about 200 lbs and maintained that for about 18Months.
    I am currently 160Lbs with a 5 pound fluxuation.
    I no longer have sleep apnea or high blood pressure and am very healthy. 😊
    Maintaining my health takes an effort but it is so worth it.

HW. 356

SW. 350

LW. 155

CW. 160.

GW. 180 was my goal. Eating well and exercising regularly is keeping me down