b7nwi97n8m1j.jpeg

Replies

• dannytrees1
    dannytrees1 Posts: 314 Member
    I know… where does it all go lol
    Thank goodness for the blender🌴
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,902 Member
    I recently made Catalan spinach. Sautee some garlic, pine nuts and raisins in olive oil and then add the spinach. I used pumpkin seeds instead of pine nuts since that's what we had in the store cupboard. The other veggie forward parts of the tapas spread were lettuce hearts with garlic from Cordoba and Turkish salad. For the tapa sprinkle some sherry vinegar on lettuce hearts followed by minced garlic fried in olive oil (mine look dark because I added optional minced anchovy to the garlic). Turkish watermelon salad is just watermelon with feta and mint. I sprinkled on some pomegranate molasses, but it doesn't really need any dressing.
    fnl10nbm7omg.jpeg
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 1,353 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    I recently made Catalan spinach. Sautee some garlic, pine nuts and raisins in olive oil and then add the spinach. I used pumpkin seeds instead of pine nuts since that's what we had in the store cupboard. The other veggie forward parts of the tapas spread were lettuce hearts with garlic from Cordoba and Turkish salad. For the tapa sprinkle some sherry vinegar on lettuce hearts followed by minced garlic fried in olive oil (mine look dark because I added optional minced anchovy to the garlic). Turkish watermelon salad is just watermelon with feta and mint. I sprinkled on some pomegranate molasses, but it doesn't really need any dressing.
    fnl10nbm7omg.jpeg

@acpgee - delish!! I need to try to make those lettuce hearts!! 😋

Pine nuts and raisins in the spinach sounds amazing. (Funny those are in some Roman dishes my husband’s family makes, maybe a Southern Mediterranean thing?)
  • SafariGalNYC
    edited September 17
    Has anyone noticed the “week in review” (My weekly report) function on MFP? I just saw it.

Thought it was interesting for anyone counting veggies.

ilow9bw0zmki.jpeg

• SafariGalNYC
    I’m always fascinated by nutrition. I put quite a bit of watercress in my smoothie today… which led me down the rabbit hole reading about watercress… apparently a great antioxidant bang for the buck.

ycgdm0ihzx3w.jpeg
    699l35cm3lj1.jpeg

• mkksemail
    mkksemail Posts: 1,661 Member
    Wow, Iceberg lettuce is really a big nothing, isn't it!?
    Thx for the great info !!
  • SafariGalNYC
    edited October 15
    I had a bunch of articles about greens in my inbox this week.. thought this was interesting:

🥒

The health benefits of cucumber

6vkk2r0yq91h.jpeg

🥒“It’s the ‘eat your water’ beauty food that will nourish your gut,” agrees naturopathic nutritionist Jessica Shand. “It doesn’t often get the recognition it deserves. But it’s a really wonderful cleansing beauty food to add to your meals in the summer.”

From a nutritional perspective, the cucumber is 95% water, so it’s super hydrating and great for all facets of your health, including your skin. “I like to think of cucumbers as a great way to eat your water, but with all the added benefits of containing soluble fiber to nourish the digestive tract, which helps flush the system of toxins, preventing constipation and creating a less acidic environment in the gut microbiome too,” she says.

Rich in nutrients like vitamins K, B, and C and minerals like copper, phosphorous, potassium, and magnesium, you benefit from around 2g of fiber for every 300 g of cucumber you consume.

Don’t slice off the skin, because it’s one of the richest sources of silica, a mineral that activates enzymes involved in the production of collagen to keep skin supple and healthy. “And to top it off, cucumbers are also loaded with phytochemicals, such as lignans, flavonoids, and triterpenes, which help keep inflammation in the body at bay,” Shand adds. 🥒
  • SafariGalNYC
    edited October 21
    @mkksemail -

I saw your post re:
    It's the end of the Hogwart's Challenge, so I had to check in for my "Unbreakable Vow" Challenge, which was to get greens 4/7 days. Sharing my post here, too - I'm going to keep this going, b/c this is probably one of my weakest areas. (Why I love this challenge!)

Maybe it’s easier to explore why it’s a challenge to get greens or veggies in and then plan from there?

Is it the ease of fast food? Taste?

• mkksemail
    mkksemail Posts: 1,661 Member
    That is a really insightful question, SG! I honestly don't know the answer. I'm going to spend some time thinking about it over the next three weeks, as I fight myself, to improve my weekly numbers in all three areas (Greeens, Other Freggies, Nuts/Seeds/Legumes). I definitely fight myself, there's no denying it! I mean, I want to consume these foods. And then I don't want to consume these foods. It's ridiculous lol

I hope my self-combativeness in this area isn't annoying to the spirit of the challenge :)

• SafariGalNYC
    edited 5:11PM
    127ed8gc9i7n.jpeg

Did someone say lettuce? 🥬 ☺️

There are so many varieties to try. Need to work on this.

0dwku4oh1tp6.jpeg
    6l6auh96nkdh.jpeg