Training for a Marathon

Options
BroDave
BroDave Posts: 249 Member
I just started walking last January with a goal to lose 100lbs this year. I have lost 85 so far. I only walked until about May then I started jogging a little, now I walk every other day and jog the other day I am doing about 40-60 miles per week

Is anyone training for a marathon? I am doing the Derby Festival Marathon in Louisville, Ky April 28th I have 3 halves between now and then but I have a 24 week training plan that starts next week. I do a half now in right at 2 hours that is with walking about 2 miles.

Any training tips will be a great help

Replies

• BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    You will love the Derby Festival events! I spent 8.5 years in Louisville while at Southern Seminary; and I miss it still!
    As for the marathon training, will be starting after my 10K this weekend. Hoping to build up my mileage a little before my 1/2 on 12/10 and then will kick it into high gear before the NOLA Rock & Roll on 3/4; all three of these races are my first at that distance.
    I'm checking out training plans, looks like I will have 12-16 weeks to prepare for the R&R.
  • TLW77
    TLW77 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I am just now training to do a half marathon March 31st in Lexington, KY. My friend wants me to do the Derby with her but I a not sure if I want to do that one or the Flying Pig in Cincinnati May 6th. I found a great friend who has ran several marathons, like Philly and is trying again to get in the NYC marathon, but she is helping me get ready for my half and she suggest that I just slowly up my miles once a week. So I am going to have a short run, 3 miles, slower pace. Then a little longer run 4-5 miles and then one day where I do a long run. Right now I am up to 8 miles and I feel I can keep going further. She has helped me so much and I hope the information helps you in some way.

**I also started my journey in January, I have lost 83 lbs to date and I started running at the end of April. I would have never thought I would be a runner, but much to my surprise...I LOVE IT!!!!
  • sakamanojr
    sakamanojr Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Hey Dave,

I have run 4 Marathons and wanted to ask you but also the others can send me a message or on this post. What kind of speedwork do you do and what pace. Do you also do some hills ?

Good luck in all of your training :)
  • BroDave
    BroDave Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Hey Dave,

I have run 4 Marathons and wanted to ask you but also the others can send me a message or on this post. What kind of speedwork do you do and what pace. Do you also do some hills ?

Good luck in all of your training :)
    I am not doing any speed work yet but there are a lot of big hills where I run and I have started running up those hills faster and can tell it is helping with the flats.
  • Photoology
    Photoology Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Definitely add in some speedwork. I usually go to the track and do laps where I take one easy, then do two a little harder, and the last one my hardest and then walk a bit (obviously to bring my heart rate down). This, for me, has helped me get stronger, noticeably.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I've only done one half so far and plan to do another in April, but next summer I will train for my first marathon. I'm hoping to find one in Sept/Oct to do somewhere nearby, because I'm not sure I can afford to really travel. There's one about 30 minutes from me in October, so that's most likely what I'll do.

I've been following training plans by Runner's World Smartcoach since this spring while I was training for my first 10k. They really detail how long/fast your runs should be based on what you can do now. Seriously, it told me what my half finish time would be... and was less than a minute off!!!!! I swear by that program!
  • biobreak
    biobreak Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Wow, you've come really far - congratulations! You've got a great goal and a lot of fun ahead of you.

I've run 6 marathons (most recent was Marine Corps last Sunday!) and I'm a coach for a first time marathoner's program in the DC area. The most important things I'd suggest right now are:
    * increase your mileage by no more than 5-10% per week
    * slow down

You can find some good guidance on what your long run pace should be at www.runnersworld.com. The calculators take a recent race time and use it to calculate your projected training pace for long runs. It feels very strange to slow down, but that's what it takes to train your body to burn fat for fuel, grow more capillaries and build the rest of your body's systems to deal with the increased mileage.

Also, if you're not already part of a group or have access to a coach, you can find one at www.rrca.org. Good luck and have fun!
  • skemery
    skemery Posts: 100
    Options
    I'm working towards my first full on March 4th. Right now I'm not really following a training problem, because I'm still a beginning runner, but all the novice runner programs I see want me to take my mileage way down. Today my long run was 15.5 miles, and I try to add 1-1.5 miles to that a week. I also like to run the whole distance at least once before a race, it gives me the confidence that I can finish. Most programs only take you to 20 or 22 miles.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    My half isn't until September 2012, so this gives me plenty of time..I have a 10K in May 2012..a marathon? Maybe in 2013..or something.we will have to see, that one is going to take me some time to train for. If you have any advice on training schedules, feel free to message me, and let me know and/or add me as a friend. =)
  • biobreak
    Options
    Skemery, good luck in training for your first! That's really exciting.

As for taking your mileage down, the main thing you need to be aware of is not overtraining or doing anything that will cause too much strain on your body as it adjusts to a bigger and bigger work load each week. What's your total weekly mileage? You want your long run to be 35-40% of your weekly mileage; if it's more than 50%, then you may be at risk for injury. Doing more of your weekly mileage outside of the long run is really helpful in building up your strength and endurance.

There are some training programs that do have you run the full distance before the marathon (I think Team in Training does this, or maybe the AIDS marathon folks) but many of these are run/walk programs.If that's your goal, then there are some good resources out there for you. If you're just running, the farthest you need to go is 20 miles or so. Running more than 4 hours takes a big toll on the body!

You'll probably want to start your taper in mid-February for an early March marathon, so you've got a while to build up your mileage. Give yourself time so you can get to the start line without any injuries. Good luck!
  • biobreak
    Options
    Whoops double post!
  • avaloneternal
    Options
    I am doing my second Rock and Roll Marathon in Vegas Dec. 4th. I love the RnR series, so fun and well organized (I did Seattle in June). I love Smartcoach too :)
  • Natalie43
    Natalie43 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I've run a couple half-marathons in the UK, and lots of 10k's over the last 18months.
    In the diary I've got a couple of 10 milers,10k's and a half - taking me up to end Feb, then my first full marathon in April (Virgin London Marathon).
    I sprained my foot 6 weeks ago so have been miserable and only just started running again, slowly building up my base again.
    FEELING NERVOUS BUT I CAN DO THIS!!!
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    As for taking your mileage down, the main thing you need to be aware of is not overtraining or doing anything that will cause too much strain on your body as it adjusts to a bigger and bigger work load each week. What's your total weekly mileage? You want your long run to be 35-40% of your weekly mileage; if it's more than 50%, then you may be at risk for injury. Doing more of your weekly mileage outside of the long run is really helpful in building up your strength and endurance.

Agree with not doing too much! When I really started getting more and more miles in, I had to cut out all my other workouts because I was feeling aches where I didn't want to feel them. Helped tremendously! I only ran one 20 miler before the full (didn't have enough time to do more) and was able finish the marathon without walking!

Good luck on your training!!
  • skemery
    skemery Posts: 100
    Options

Agree with not doing too much! When I really started getting more and more miles in, I had to cut out all my other workouts because I was feeling aches where I didn't want to feel them. Helped tremendously! I only ran one 20 miler before the full (didn't have enough time to do more) and was able finish the marathon without walking!

Good luck on your training!!

Thanks for the advice, I'm really kind of making this up as I go. This week so far my total mileage is 29 miles, with probably one more 5 mile run this week. Usually I only do one long run a week and then a couple of 5 milers, though I was thinking of bumping up to a 10 and a 5. I really feel like I have a mental block with long runs, in that I get nervous that I can't finish a race if I haven't done the distance at least once before. I was thinking of trying to get to 26 miles before the end of the year and then just doing 15-20 miles for my long runs after that. I'm worried about training in the winter though, one good ice storm could shoot my training plan to hell.

I didn't do too badly on that 15 miler yesterday though, and that was my second long run in 4 days (the first was a half marathon last Saturday). So maybe my legs aren't as weak as I thought.

So excited to be part of this group and have some runners to bounce ideas off of!
  • gavini
    gavini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    i am training for my 13th marathon right now which will be the surf city marathon in huntington beach feb 5th.

there are many different schools of thought on training and everyone is different so there are very few absolute rules, best to experiment with different programs over time to find what works best and also to change it up so you do get bored and your body doesnt get comfortable.

a couple things i think are true for everyone.
    1- you wont get fast in your long runs without interval training (BONUS: it burns fat in a short amount of time)
    2- cross training is essential, without it you wont reach your potential and are begging for an injury
    3- yoga might be the runner's best friend and is the key to proper recovery without being sore. Ice bathes and cold pools right after a tough workout are incredibly helpful too.

i am a huge proponent of the Furman FIRST program. they have a book that is available in most libraries or is cheap to buy off of amazon or for your kindle etc. http://www2.furman.edu/SITES/FIRST/Pages/FirstTrainingPrograms.aspx

pick up the book, it is a quick read but is very well thought out and makes a lot of sense. the basics are that most people run a lot of junk miles that do little if anything to help them get faster. that probably doesnt matter for your first race but after you have gotten in shape, you want to get faster. they advocate 3 runs (1 tempo, 1 intervals, 1 long run) and at least 2 cross trainings a week. but the paces they give you for those runs are tough so your legs need those days off from running to be able to recouperate

i got significantly faster when i started following their program, check it out.
  • chefdan
    chefdan Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I second the recommendation for the Furman program that gavini just mentioned. I used one of the halhigdon.com plans for my first this fall because I wasn't quite ready for the intensity of FIRST, but I will be when I start my next marathon cycle for Ottawa on May 27.