Low cal eating out

Options
Hey chaps thought it would be a good idea to have somewhere to share your best choices at various uk eateries to give people a hand if they are going out for a meal and need to stay in the green.

Personally I think the leggera pizzas at pizza express at under 500cals are amazing!

Oh and nandos Greek salad - delicious and about 545 cal

Replies

• clarech82
    clarech82 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Hi this is a good idea!

I went to frankie and bennys today and they now have a low calorie menu and it actually has the calorie content on that part of the menu I didn't eat there but the choice looked good!
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    The lasagne at Wetherspoons is pretty good for 600 cals :)
  • emilyajones
    Options
    Some stuff at cafe rouge- all under 600 cals on a special bit of the menu- is delish :)
  • LilMissFoodie
    Options
    Some stuff at cafe rouge- all under 600 cals on a special bit of the menu- is delish :)

Oooh, I didn't know that! Strada and Prezzo also have an 'under 600 or 650 cal' section but I didn't like my choices from either :( Oh and I recently noticed that Zizzis has such a section as well but yet to try it.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Yo Sushi every time!! They've got the nutritional info on both their website and on their menus in the restaurant :bigsmile: Speaking of which...I've not been for a while..hmmmm I'll be remedying that this week at some point :bigsmile:
  • Jen_ht
    Jen_ht Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Abokado is great if you're on the go - fresh sushi, miso soup, chicken noodle soup, and rice and seaweed wraps. They have the nutritional info on the label in the shop, not on the packaging so you have to remember to look it up - or it's on their website. But I don't think I've had anything/seen anything from there over 500 cals! :) Not sure if they're outside on London though.
  • poeciliareticulata
    poeciliareticulata Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Chiquitos now does a range of low calorie options. I had a burrito with green rice and I think it came in under 600 although I can't remember. For pub food, Fayre and Square pubs have an under 600 cal menu.
  • nothingisred
    Options
    Personally I think the leggera pizzas at pizza express at under 500cals are amazing!

Oh I love Pizza Express' leggera range, they even have leggera wine and desserts! I love the prawn leggera pizza, very yummy, but I've tried most of them and they're all very nice, I don't even miss the lashings of cheese. I went there the other week, had a leggera pizza and then ruined it by having a slice of cheesecake afterwards...pretty much the same amount of calories as the pizza!
  • SuzMcH
    SuzMcH Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    A Wagamamas has just opened in Edinburgh (can't believe we didn't have one until now) Anyway I've got lunch there soon.
    Any low cal recommendations ?
  • Dizzle_65
    Dizzle_65 Posts: 249 Member
    Options

Oh I love Pizza Express' leggera range, they even have leggera wine and desserts! I love the prawn leggera pizza, very yummy, but I've tried most of them and they're all very nice, I don't even miss the lashings of cheese. I went there the other week, had a leggera pizza and then ruined it by having a slice of cheesecake afterwards...pretty much the same amount of calories as the pizza!

They do a Legerra dessert too called Sotto Zero a measely 170 calories it's lovely :bigsmile:

Link to Pizza Express Nutrition is here http://www.pizzaexpress.com/pdfs/files/Nutrition_Leaflet_2011096-111100.pdf?bcsi_scan_8D6629E296F3ED8D=u0Vu+Y36ab0pKSroImaFoQIAAAChBKEA&bcsi_scan_filename=Nutrition_Leaflet_2011096-111100.pdf
  • emilyajones
    Options
    A Wagamamas has just opened in Edinburgh (can't believe we didn't have one until now) Anyway I've got lunch there soon.
    Any low cal recommendations ?

Yes but unfortunatley cant remember the name of the dish! Its a rice based dice though, plenty of veg and can have chicken and prwans in it or the vegetarian version!
    Will ask my dad- its his fave, and its under 500 cals!
  • emilyajones
    Options

Oooh, I didn't know that! Strada and Prezzo also have an 'under 600 or 650 cal' section but I didn't like my choices from either :( Oh and I recently noticed that Zizzis has such a section as well but yet to try it.

Yeah! I had some..cheese thingy. Im so bad with my memory today but it was good. On the small side, but I suppose thats why its low cal!
  • Matttdvg
    Matttdvg Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    The lasagne at Wetherspoons is pretty good for 600 cals :)

Wetherspoons do quite a few decent, relatively low calorie dishes. On their website you can select a calorie limit and any other dietary requirements and they'll give you a custom menu of things suitable: http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/home/food/dietary-requirements
  • Mariannewww
    Options
    I love wagamamas I always get the yaki soba which is about 500 cals and a huge portion!

Good to hear about prezzo I'm going to check out the website as I'm off there tomorrow. I love how alot of chains are giving clearer calorie advice makes it so much easier to make a good choice. I remember choosing salads at pizza express a year ago thinking they would be best- checker it out recently to find it was 800 calories a pop with low fat dressing! Naughty pizza express..
  • LilMissFoodie
    Options
    I love wagamamas I always get the yaki soba which is about 500 cals and a huge portion!

I love yaki soba too!! It doesn't really agree with my tummy but I still get it anyway haha it's so delicious :)
  • emilyajones
    Options
    Just a thought on low cal eating out...a couple of months ago the government came up with an intiative with several eateries to put calorie infomation on the menus. What do you think of this being made compulsary across all eateries in the uk?
  • MrsOMG
    MrsOMG Posts: 84
    Options
    I love Chinese food but it is hideously calorific. I found great alternative in Korean food. It is basically dry bbq with vinegar dressings rather than MSG syrups and lots of fresh veg. You can get the sweet/sour fix with half calories. Anyone in London I recommend Nara in Soho.

Greek food good too if you order right, agree with Pizza Express comment, they are best for low cals. I buy their pizzas at waitrose and have with rocket salad from time to time as under 500 too.

I went to a Harvester for in-law birthday meal and it was DISGUSTING how many cals were in those meals. Avoid!
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    This is not for the feint-hearted :noway:

Went out to a work's do last night at a Revolution bar in London.

Not only did they serve wine in 250ml buckets :drinker: so I ended up drinking way too much, but they served us the most delicious and seriously not-low cal food. :tongue:

It was mini-versions of diner food: cheeseburger burger, chicken strips, fish & chips, spring rolls, thin-crust pizza... all of which would have been great had I only had one portion rather than one of each :laugh:

But to make matters worse, I then went back for seconds. :noway: :laugh:

But what the heck... it was a car-crash day... gotta be good today :wink:
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Just a thought on low cal eating out...a couple of months ago the government came up with an intiative with several eateries to put calorie infomation on the menus. What do you think of this being made compulsary across all eateries in the uk?

I think it's a very good idea :bigsmile: but then i'm interested in knowing the nutritional info. How likely it is to happen is another matter.
  • LilMissFoodie
    Options

I am actually (surprisingly) against it. As much as I eat out far too often than would be good for me, I really think the better approach is to encourage eating out as an 'every now and then' thing rather than a regular occurrance. In which case, it wouldn't really have a big impact on your health. I can't help but think that the kind of averages they would have to use aren't particularly reliable so I don't think it would necessarily lead to more accurate tracking either (although perhaps would make you feel better about your tracking!).