Exercise?! Who has time for that?!

Options
DietingMommy08
DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
I personally find it hard to get time alone away from my 3 year old to do the exercises that I want to do.

Does anybody exercise with thier children?! What exercises do you do with them?!

Replies

• kaits108
    kaits108 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I have a 3 year old son, and he motivates me to go on walks and go run around and play outside (walks in the summer, sledding in the winter) :) I'm lucky in that he loves doing the cardio part of the 30 Day Shred with me (jumping jacks, jump rope, etc), or any workout really haha! He loves jumping around next to me. My only issue is that he tries to steal my weights when I put them down LOL! Sometimes I'll have him pick out two matchbox cars to be his "weights".

Usually though I'll do my at home workouts (esp the more relaxing ones like yoga and Pilates) once he goes to bed. And I'm super lucky he LOVES the daycare at the gym, so it's no problem taking him to the gym with me and he plays and I do my classes.

I would love to hear more ways to incorporate my exercises with him though! :)
  • Gwendalyne
    Gwendalyne Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I guess you have to find the time for it somewhere. I typically work out at least an hour a day. I have 3 kids, ages 2, 4, and 7. Hubby and I will workout after bed time, during naps, or early in the morning. It does take some planning, but the results are worth it. I have more energy to play w/my kids. I feel great about my body, and it's great for my marriage b/c I feel like a sexy wife again lol. I also work full time, and hubby and I have a non profit ministry. You may have to start out w/just 30 mins a day...but something is better than nothing :)
  • MichelleLydia
    MichelleLydia Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I usually try and workout while my son and the daycare kids eat, While they eat breakfast I do the 30DS (dining room and living room are adjoined so it's easy to do while keeping an eye on them. Then I take the kids for a walk for an hour or so in the daytime. And finally I either do a walk with my son to get him ready for bed, or after he is asleep I take a Zumba class, go for a walk, swim laps, or take a deep water aquafit class. I just try and break my workouts into 3-4 thirty minute workouts throughout the day!
  • DietingMommy08
    Options
    I am a single parent of a 3 year old little boy. I work full time and im also a full time student at a community college.

I try to get my 2 mile walk in with leslie sansone as much as possible after my son is done throwin a fit bcuz I turned batman off to exercise. Lol. He usually runs around me and sometimes gets in my way but I try my best to get him to join in.

Other then that I do walk him to and from school and I do walk to and from work.

I just wish I had a lil more time to add in some more exercise!!
  • Jycooper
    Jycooper Posts: 195
    Options
    It can be difficult. I have 3 kids so sometimes I have a hard time doing workouts also. Sometimes I take a walk w/ the kids. I will put my youngest in a stroller and my two older kids which are boys like to run anyway. So we walk/run together. It wears them out and also me to get in a workout also. Also I have DVDs I do at home. My children like to do them with me, its so cute to watch. Even my youngest will try, she's 19mos. So cute to watch her to a squat or something. :)
  • Heathin
    Options
    I know working full time, being a full time student, and a single parent can be so draining that just the thought of working out makes you even more tired.....let alone... where's your me time in all of this? When you're at work do you get up from your desk and move around once every hour? I found something on livestrong.com for exercises you can do at your desk. Here's the link. http://www.livestrong.com/desk-exercises/
  • pandora658
    Options
    Hello I'm new on here, and I struggle for excercise I have a 20 week old little boy, when my partner gets home I tend to manage to do 30 minutes of Zumba which I love!!!
  • FunRun08
    FunRun08 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I guess I am very luck, I work at a Y teaching exercise classes and they have on sight day care so my kids can come with me. On my running days I will do whatever I can to get my run in, its better for everyone that way as I am often miserable when I can't run. :)
  • wildhehr2
    wildhehr2 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    My husband is doing Farrell's eXtreme Bodyshaping, and the only class that fit his schedule was the 515am class. He's the proverbial "bull in the china shop" getting ready in the mornings, so I figure since I'm awake, I may as well get on our treadmill. The kids sleep right through it. When the weather is good, the kids and I go outside for kickball or soccer (them against me). When my kids were younger, it was all about the electronic babysitter. Not ashamed to admit I bribed my children with Calliou to get 30 minutes on the treadmill for my sanity.
  • DietingMommy08
    Options
    I know working full time, being a full time student, and a single parent can be so draining that just the thought of working out makes you even more tired.....let alone... where's your me time in all of this? When you're at work do you get up from your desk and move around once every hour? I found something on livestrong.com for exercises you can do at your desk. Here's the link. http://www.livestrong.com/desk-exercises/

Me time?! Whats that?! Lol.
    I do go for a walk on my breaks and for half of my lunch.
    I already walk so much tho that it dont seem to be havin any effect on my weight loss anymore.
    I am considering getting up a half an hour earlier in the morning bcuz I do wanna start 30DS.

Maybe... Lol.
  • ☆ShawnsMom08☆
    ☆ShawnsMom08☆ Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I joined a gym and my three year old hated the child center. My mom watched him so I could go an hour a day and she found out she had breast cancer. I know if I don't work out, I wont lose anymore.
  • xraygeek
    xraygeek Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have finally figured out a plan that works for me. My hubs is a college student, so he's rarely home, so I go to him. On Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, I meet him at the campus gym, give him the lil dudes and work as hard as I can for half an hour to an hour...depending on if I have dinner ready at home or not. During the mornings, I take the guys out for walks to the library or I use the bike trailer to do C25K. The next time I do my C25K, I am putting my 3 year old into the trailer as well. He normally bikes besides me, but he has weenied out one too many times for me to run at my optimum.

lol, it has only taken me 4 years to figure this schedule out :D
  • KeepItOff4Life
    Options
    On my none gym days (I go during lunch at work), I do Aerobics at home. My 5 yr old does it with me...even though I wouldn't really call what she does working out. When she was less into it (4), she would be my towel girl, and she still does that from time to time. I even bought an extra step for her to use when I'm doing my step workouts. Most days she just ends up dancing next to me, but at least I don't have to worry about her being entertained, and I'm able to get a full workout in.