The important of starch reduction/elimination

Options
DonnaLFitz
DonnaLFitz Posts: 270 Member
For some reason, starchy foods are the hardest for overweight people to remove from their diets. I think, for me, that I associate them with comfort, convenience, taste, and relaxation (think popcorn, chips, cold cereal).

On the 17 Day Diet, the Accelerate phase permits NO starches... at all... period.

If you adhere to this tenet, you will see incredible results within the first 17 days.

Follow Accelerate with another Accelerate for 17 days -- and you will see even more results.

I experimented with this for myself. I was moderately overweight, right on the line between overweight and obese, and I really wanted to get at least the first 15 lbs off IMMEDIATELY. As we all do. :)

During my first Accelerate cycle, I lost 9.7 pounds. I lost 4 of that within the first 3 days.

As the book recommended, I proceeded to the Activate cycle, where I added in two healthy starches every other day, making sure I ate them prior to 2pm. Everything else stayed the same.

Much to my surprise, my weight loss ceased entirely. My calories were still really low (net around 1050) and I was still working out an hour each day. So what was the problem?

I went back on Accelerate. Again, spectacular results. I decided to stay on Accelerate until I met my first goal of 23 pounds lost.

I started this diet on April 16th. I reached my first goal weight of 160 on June 15th. Not bad, considering that one entire 17-Day cycle was a complete waste for me, progress-wise.

Apparently, I am one of those "carb-sensitive" people Dr. Moreno writes about in his book. The first time I read it, a bell went off in my head that perhaps that was the key for me. I have tried low-carb, low-cal, high-workout, etc. and just couldn't get the results I wanted.

When you eat complex carbs (starches -- yes, even the "heatlhy" ones!), the starch absorbs fluid as it moves through your system, slowing down the digestion and absorption of the food.

This provides slow, regular energy production to fuel your body.

Which is great if you are a marathon runner or are at a perfect weight already!

But if you are overweight, having that steady flow of carb energy inhibits your body from turning to your fat stores for energy. Only when you burn fat, do you see any real weight loss.

I found that I literally had to rob my body of all the cheap and easy energy sources to force it to turn to fat.

And it worked.

I experimented with those all through the summer and into the fall. I went off the diet for various vacations, then back on. Then school started and things got hectic, then it calmed and I went back on.

Each and every time I removed the starches for at least 3 days in a row, I dropped pounds immediately. Yes, some of it is definitely water, but at least I can compare my current weight more easily to my weight from June 15th. I can see where I stand.

I have not given up complex carbs forever. But I do know that as a routine thing, I need to severely restrict their place in my daily diet.

For those of you just starting out on this diet, I strongly urge you to adhere to the no-starch rule to see what results you get from it. I believe you will be most pleasantly surprised.

Replies

• Daila78
    Options
    Great information! With the amount of weight I have to lose, I have really considered staying on the accelerate phase for longer. I just didn't know if that would ruin the calorie cycling that is discussed in the 17 Day Diet Book. Honestly, I'm not even sure I really buy into the whole "calorie cycling" part anyway, but I have no real experience with any of this. I'm for sure a skeptic, but I do know that low carb diets work, so I'm really leaning to 2 accelerate cycles back to back.
  • DonnaLFitz
    Options
    I stayed on Accelerate with the super low calories for only one cycle.
    In the next one, I upped my calories, but still left out the starches.
    It's okay to up the calories as long as you stick to the food list and don't eat fruits after 2pm.

Currently, I'm on maintenance and trying to keep the starches out. But with travel and family events, it's not always possible. But as soon as I stop with the starches, my weight goes back down.

I found that staying off them completely while "dieting" made a huge difference in my progress.
  • asalembier
    asalembier Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    So once you go back on starches, you regain weight? What about steel cut oats, or whole grain wheat etc?

As much as I would love to lose all this weight, living off veggies, fruit, protein and yogourt, without having say toast or something ever again, knowing it will lead to weight gain is kinda depressing. :(
  • DonnaLFitz
    Options
    You only stay off starches to lose the weight. Then you slowly add servings of the good stuff back in. Once the fat has burned off, you can use the energy from starch.

I set my weight goal for 3 lbs below where I truly wanted to be, then adding the starches back in, gained about that back. From there, it's maintenance. The starch collects water. How much water depends on how many servings you eat and how much absorbable fiber it contains.

Don't think in terms of "never having starch again" -- think in terms of short term sacrifice for long term weight loss. It really comes off fast. Once you have lost much of what you want, you can play with it a bit, as I have, to determine the proper number of servings for yourself.
  • gpacheco0768
    gpacheco0768 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of factors contribute to this, but in general I agree that eliminating starches in the "loss" phase of your journey does speed things up... I added back brown rice, etc. and did see my weight "plateau" but not go up. I think weight gain occurs when you say "screw it" and go back to "that brownie is ok, as long as I only have one..." Brown rice, a potato here or there, is NOT going to cause you regain all you've lost, unless that's ALL you eat. Cycle 1 is designed to get everything going, then C2 provides some variety, starts to represent a more long term eating lifestyle, C3 even more so, and even if the weight loss is slower, at least it's still happening. I believe in later cycles you have to exercise more, which probably compensates for the starch/additional calories. Nobody can stay on C1 forever, and this diet isn't intended for that... but, like Atkins/SBD and other predecessors, you can extend the "induction" period safely if you know how to and it's working for you to remove the weight more quickly. Just be careful.
  • JulieSchreier
    Options
    I had the same problem I did the first phase and lost a surprising amount of weight. went to the second phase and stopped loosing. I was in a plateau. I found eating a higher amount of calories and then starting again was the only thing that seemed to work. Although after I joined MFP I was surprised how low my calorie intake gets. I think once the weight is off there will be no problem with maintaining it. It's just the initial weight loss.
  • DonnaLFitz
    Options
    I had the same problem I did the first phase and lost a surprising amount of weight. went to the second phase and stopped loosing. I was in a plateau. I found eating a higher amount of calories and then starting again was the only thing that seemed to work. Although after I joined MFP I was surprised how low my calorie intake gets. I think once the weight is off there will be no problem with maintaining it. It's just the initial weight loss.

I did the same -- changed calorie goals with each 17-day cycle, but kept to the same basic foods list. I did include lean beef and pork after the first couple of cycles, but chicken, turkey, and fish are still my staples.