MMORPGs (and other games too I suppose) and staying healthy!

Options
I've been kind of wondering out there how other MMORPG gamers (it could apply to other games as well, but it seems that the MMO players tend to have the hardest trouble with it) counteract putting in the game time that a lot of MMOs end up requiring but still keeping up with the game?

In my case, because I'm a SUPER dork, I LOVE World of Warcraft, and I even raid. I spend something like SIX HOURS (holy crap, I feel like a nerd) between just playing and raiding each week. Ever since I made "THE CHANGE" (what I refer to as getting myself back into a healthy life style) I've started doing a couple things.

1) I don't play after a certain hour. I don't care what's going on. When midnight rolls around, it shuts down.

2) For every hour I play a game, I put in an equal hour of exercise for the week.

3) I make sure I have dinner and snacking for the day out of the way...sounds weird, but sitting at a game and eating just leads me down a bad road!

4) I schedule activities some evenings after work to make sure I don't play EVERY day. If I'm out of the house, I can't be playing video games!

5) I totally keep little mini-1lb weights at my desk and when I'm waiting on stuff to happen or waiting for my wii to load, I do exercises with them!

Those are just what I can think of off the top of my head...!

What do you do to stay healthy yet still take part in one of your favorite hobbies?

Replies

• Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Wellll I don't 'keep up'..and I play about 20 hours a week.....I mean I don't keep up with the game. Not like I used to (60 hours a week)....I've had people get way ahead of me since I started exercizing (even one enemy I have in game who rubs it in my face! I ignore him = he must have NO life)

I quit for about 4 months when first starting to work out/eat heathier. My hubby played, but less. He finally told me our leader was wondering if he should hold my spot any longer or if I was coming back....then I got sick....so I couldn't go to the gym....so I went back...but I did say IF I gain weight oor my exercize suffers too much I will quit and ERASE my account! (Gasp you say!)

My exercize has been reduced but more b/c we've traveled a lot in Oct, I was sick twice and hubby once (And I don't hike without him), and then our car broke and I can't get to the Y easily (although a friend is driving me some this week).

I think it helps to have FIRM exercize times. Since my zumba is NOT on the wii and is at class, if I'm not there on time I don't go! Also...with Phoenix there are very specific times of day you want to hike depending on the time of year. In the summer you need to be out around 4:30 AM or it's too hot. In the winter you want mid day or its too cold...it's fall now so I would go out around 7 or 8 AM.

I also don't eat while I play. Like you said you forget you're eating.
  • lexagon
    lexagon Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I typically play when I have time (which to me isn't enough) haha! That was mainly because I didn't have a desk for my cpu so I was using the TV in the bedroom, but I can only "lay" and play for so long before my back hurts. So I finally got a desk. I expect to be able to play a little more, actually I'm thinking about taking a couple days off here and there for some me time ... translate: gaming time.

I plan on playing this weekend since soccer is over and for once there isn't 400 other things planned. Don't even think I have to go grocery shopping (that's a shocker)! So some gaming I will be doing. I need to get in some quality time with BF3 and COD :)
  • CMH24
    CMH24 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    http://bcmoney-mobiletv.com/view/820/treadmill-race-across-azeroth/

I fully intend on making one of these someday! HAHA I ended up having to quit but basically.... i got so caught up in game play i wouldn't eat and it helped me lose weight LOL glad you can find good things to help!
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    The major change for me was that I stopped raiding S-TH 7-10pm. That was huge! I don't snack while I play anymore either!
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options

I fully intend on making one of these someday! HAHA I ended up having to quit but basically.... i got so caught up in game play i wouldn't eat and it helped me lose weight LOL glad you can find good things to help!

OMG!!! That looks so fun!!!
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I don't play as often as I used to.
    When I was pregnant with our 1st child and hubby was working 2nd shift...
    I'd play 8+ hours most weeknights. I might play 2 to 4 hours when I play now.
    I think I'm getting either flat out bored with the game (Runescape) or I'm burning myself out.
    (6 max skill levels in the last 3 years). I think I was obsessed with getting all those 99 levels L0L
    Plus I'm antsy to become more active (jogging/running) but am not quite yet
    at that point in my weight loss journey to start doing that.
  • lexagon
    lexagon Posts: 495 Member
    Options

OK that was cool and funny!
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I find i eat less when I'm playing. It's hard to eat and play at the same time!

Unless you're a .....GASP...clicker!

*runs*
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    I love WoW. in fact, it's really the only game I play. Limiting play time helps a lot. Plus, I changed how I played. From hardcore raider, to having fun questing. I started experimenting with other classes instead of focusing on a main and making her super uber hardcore. I recently made an Orc Warrior a class I always disliked, but realized, hey it's actually pretty fun!