Introduction

Options
vdegraff
vdegraff Posts: 87 Member
Hi all. My name is Veronica and I was banded on 10/19/2011. So far so good. But I am only three weeks post op. Hoping to lose about 65 pounds with band. I have lost 50 lbs already thru MFP and my recent band surgery. Started my WL journey in June. Just got tired of being fat. Now very happy with myself and will work hard to get more weight off.

Look forward to meeting you all.

Replies

• sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Hi Veronica,

Thanks for setting this group up. I came to Groups to do exactly the same thing because as lap banders we have things which are specific to our circumstances and it's great to have a place where we can discuss them.

I expect we will also get members who are considering WLS who will want to learn about our experiences.

I was banded on 13 April 2011 in Australia and have lost 106lb (49 kg) so far.
  • vdegraff
    Options
    106 pounds is AMAZING! How are you feeling and are you done or do you have more to lose?
  • vdegraff
    Options
    BTW. I have stalled and have actually gone up a few pounds this week. Is that normal? I will not get my first fill until 11/21.
  • donaldblanton
    Options
    Hello, my name is Donald. I got my band in 09. I started losing weight, then started having pain issues, not with the band. Then by the end of 2010 I was told I had cancer. I spent 2011 with surgerys and chemo and radiation fighting my cancer. I just finished my last day of radiation on Oct 25. I started to work out on the 26th, lol. I will get a pet scan on tuesday to see if it is all gone for now. As far as the lap band goes, mine did get disconected. I have had some issues with mine, for it never gave me a full feeling or prolong my hunger. I decided it was all in my head, pluss I found out I was not drinking enough water. I have some friends who have the lap band and I have had mine for 3 years now, so anything I can answer I will. Look forward to losing weight with everyone.
  • donaldblanton
    Options
    vdegraff: You have been on liquids for a while, so if your intake is increasing then you might want to watch the callories. Also you should be walking and doing some type of activity. If you can't then I would watch the callories. I could not stay on the liquids long, I got super hungry. I can say this, watch dry meat, such as chicken breast and plain tuna fish. No matter how small I chewed them, they got stuck, and it was not pleasent. I wish you luck on you lap band. Look forward to reading about your success,
  • sagetracey
    Options
    Thanks Veronica. I feel amazing and keep on surprising myself. This morning I woke up and decided I couldn't be bothered getting up for a walk, I would just get on my exercise bike tonight. But after lying in bed for another five minutes, I realised that I actually wanted to get up and go for a walk, so I did.

The biggest thing for me has been getting active. I thought I was active before I started losing but now I realise just how much I was fooling myself. A typical week now involves exercising (walking, swimming or cycling) for 30 to 40 minutes at least four mornings per week, dance class once a week, dancing to a live band once a week, riding my bike to work once a week (28km, 75 minutes) plus a longer bike ride on the weekend.

My husband is so supportive. He is a night owl but chooses to get up and exercise with me in the mornings. All the compliments that I wanted and never got before now flow right out of his mouth. He even told some friends, in front of me, how proud he was of me!

I want to lose some more weight but haven't decided just how much. I am currently at 101kg so my next goal is to get under 100. Then I am working towards looking great for our son's wedding next April. And in 12 months time, my husband and I are going to complete the Great Victorian Bike Ride.
  • sagetracey
    Options
    BTW. I have stalled and have actually gone up a few pounds this week. Is that normal? I will not get my first fill until 11/21.

You've lost 50lb without a fill! Congratulations, that is awesome. Stalling and even gaining a little is normal when you can start eating but haven't got a fill yet. Keep on working hard and enjoying the benefits. I bet you are feeling great.
  • sagetracey
    Options
    Hello, my name is Donald. I got my band in 09. I started losing weight, then started having pain issues, not with the band. Then by the end of 2010 I was told I had cancer. I spent 2011 with surgerys and chemo and radiation fighting my cancer. I just finished my last day of radiation on Oct 25. I started to work out on the 26th, lol. I will get a pet scan on tuesday to see if it is all gone for now. As far as the lap band goes, mine did get disconected. I have had some issues with mine, for it never gave me a full feeling or prolong my hunger. I decided it was all in my head, pluss I found out I was not drinking enough water. I have some friends who have the lap band and I have had mine for 3 years now, so anything I can answer I will. Look forward to losing weight with everyone.

Glad to hear you have finished radiation. Best wishes for getting a clean slate of health and for your band journey.
  • TeresaWash
    Options
    Hi lap-banders. I just recently joined MFP. I had my surgery in June of 2010. I have lost 136 pounds but have another 90 to go. I was a 10 pound a month pretty steady loser, but Since July I have only lost 8 pounds. I have relaxed a little on my eating habits but I am working my but off at the gym. Trying not to get discouraged cuz I'm thrilled with my results so far but It's hard to lose so slowly.

Thanks for starting this group!
  • vdegraff
    Options

Hope all went well for you on Tuesday.
  • vdegraff
    Options
    Hi lap-banders. I just recently joined MFP. I had my surgery in June of 2010. I have lost 136 pounds but have another 90 to go. I was a 10 pound a month pretty steady loser, but Since July I have only lost 8 pounds. I have relaxed a little on my eating habits but I am working my but off at the gym. Trying not to get discouraged cuz I'm thrilled with my results so far but It's hard to lose so slowly.

Thanks for starting this group!

You guys are so inspirational! I think even with 8 lbs a month, your progress is awesome. And what is hitting home with me right now is the fact that you are successful because you are exercising your butts off. That really is the key, isn't it?! The lap band is just a tool. There is no magic bullet. I am rededicating myself to staying active. Thanks and look forward to getting to know you all.
  • TexasNurseMom78
    TexasNurseMom78 Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Glad to see a discussion group fo banded peole. There are quite a few of us on MFP. It is always nice to have support.
  • janiecew
    janiecew Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! My name is Janiece. I was banded 11/6/2009. I've lost 100lbs so far. I haven't exercised in months, and I'm hoping to get back into my gym routine and lose another 25lbs.
  • Hey, I'm Lesley Lapbandish Melvin on Facebook, please find and add me if you are on there. I'm 48 years old and live in NC. I started the group, then somehow could not find it! Was surprised to find it this morning, and see there are members. LOL!!!! I had lapband surgery July 29th and have lost 20 lbs on it so far. Total weight loss of 53 pounds. Head hunger is my problem. I have a 10 cc band with 4.5 cc (last fill was last Thursday). I have to kick it in gear!!!!!!!!
  • cbbarge
    cbbarge Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    So glad you started this group. My hospital support group is mostly bypass patients so I don't feel that my needs as a band patient will be adequately met. I was hoping to find another band only support group at another hospital but I may not have to with this group available.
  • Glad to have you as a friend!
  • vdegraff
    Options
    Thanks for starting the group Lesley. I live in Raleigh. Where in NC do you live?
  • elimendoza31
    elimendoza31 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    GM ..MY NAME IS ELI ..I HAD THE LAPBAND DONE A YEAR AGAO AND ONLY LOST 20PDS..I DON"T KNOW WHAT IM DOING WRONG..BUT I FOUND THIS GROUP AND MAYBE YOU ALL CAN SHARE WITH ME YOUR SUCCESS...IM GETTING SO FRUSTRATED..IM ABOUT TO GIVE UP... PLEASE HELP!! :embarassed:
  • Kriszti29
    Options
    Hi all

I'm Krisztina. Living with the band in London. Had my surgery exactly 5 months ago - so far lost just over 43 lbs.

I hope to get to know you better and we can share the experience.

Feel free to "friend" me - unless you sound like a stalker I'm all up for company!
  • Dulcislim
    Options
    Hi everyone. I'm Dulci and I was banded on October 28, 2011. I've lost 20 lbs so far, including the preop diet. I started tracking using the Realize web site but this one is so much better.